What's new

On Thanksgiving... (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
(and everyday, also in light of all the recent events)
Here is something to think about: Don't just be thankful for what you have. Be thankful for what you could LOSE.
I was in a fairly nasty car accident on Oct 4. I am lucky to be alive right now, and as always with this type of incident, I have come to appreciate my life quite a bit more. Think about the impact it would have on your life if you lost something as simple as the ability to walk. My leg is broken, and will heal. It could have been much, MUCH worse. Think about all the very small things that are often taken for granted...sight, touch, smell, hearing, tasting.
I don't want to preach to anyone, and I know we all have stories, but be glad you are alive and let others know. Slow down and take the time to appreciate yourself and others.
Link Removed
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I know how you feel, I walked out of an accident last summer myself. My explorer rolled over three times according to witnesses. It was totalled. I came out without a single scratch, back ache, neck pain, anything - buckle up people, there is no excuse for not doing it. That feeling of being lucky to be alive has not waned, for obvious reasons.
[EDIT] Holy Cow, I just looked at the pix, you are lucky... Congrats, glad to see you are relatively OK.
--
Holadem
[Edited last by Holadem on November 13, 2001 at 06:06 PM]

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Holy cow man! How many times did it roll? What happened?
Glad to see you're still alive because as the car looks you are very lucky!
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure, but it flipped at least twice, landing on the roof. I was going around a curve, I lost control, and went over an embankment. The car got airborne, hit nose first and flipped.
The seatbelt and aribag REALLY helped keep me safe. I definitely consider myself lucky, but like Holadem said, buckling up is a very good thing.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
John,
I'm really glad to hear you're going to be ok as it could have been much worse. Your advice to slow down and appreciate all life has to offer is great!
------------------
Link Removed

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Thanks for the eye-opener! I needed that, I drive pretty fast most of the time. Hope you're mending well, at least it's not summer (that is the worst time to be in a cast).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
quote: (that is the worst time to be in a cast)[/quote]
Oddly enough, I did not get a cast. I broke my femur *ouch*, but they put in a rod that goes from my hip to my knee (pins, screws, and staples - the works). Though I do not have a cast, I still could not move much for quite a few weeks. I am up to crutches now, and I can bend, as well as scratch, my leg - a big plus for not having a cast.
Bob - That was the reaction I was hoping for. I think one of the reasons I am still here is to share this experience with others and maybe keep it from happening to someone else.
One more thing to consider is just how many people OTHER THAN YOU are directly affected when something like this happens.
Take care.
[Edited last by John Garcia on November 14, 2001 at 05:54 PM]

EugeneR

Second Unit
I'll second that, John.
My fiancee recently lost a close friend in a car accident. The two people sitting in the back were not wearing seat belts. My fiancee's friend was thrown from the car and died (she was 31), the other girl in the back seat was critically injured and last I heard the doctors weren't sure if she was going to survive (she was coming home to L.A. from her wedding in S.F.). The driver was wearing a seatbelt and walked away.
Nothing like attending the funeral of a 31-year-old who died for no reason whatsoever to remind you how precious and fragile life is. My fiancee found out about her friend's death only a day before the funeral. The funeral was on September 10th. It was not a good week...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks