What's new

OMG! blown away by DTS! (1 Viewer)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Has anyone here compared the Prince of Egypt DD and DTS Tracks? I have...(I bought the DD originally and I liked it so much I had to get the DTS one).

The DTS track is certainly clearer, BUT...I think I like the Dolby Digital one better. The DTS track has mixed the sound effects track up so much louder than the DD version, that the music gets a little lost. If I turn up the volume high enough to FEEL (and enjoy) the choral and orchestral swells, I am blasted away by the effects (like stone grating on stone, the sounds of whips, water sounds, etc).

I am torn, because the DD track isn't as sparkling as the DTS (maybe that's just from louder effects), but I don't think I like the mix of the DTS as well. So I kept them both.

It's all in the mix.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Here's some of the best sounding discs I've heard:

DTS (5.1, 5.1 ES, 6.1, etc):

Big Trouble In Little China (4.1)

Cast Away (6.1 ES)

T-2: Ultimate Edition (5.1 ES)

Fantasia (5.0)

Fantasia 2000 (5.1)

Moulin Rouge (5.1 ES?)

Shrek

Dolby Digital 5.1:

North By Northwest

Ben-Hur

Doctor Zhivago

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Superman: The Movie

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

The Abyss

Dolby Digital mono 1.0/2.0:

Citizen Kane

Young Frankenstein (reference quality 2.0 mono)

It Happened One Night

Harvey

Being There

PCM:

City Lights (Reference quality PCM 2.0 surround track!)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of reasons other than volume level that to my ears make Gladiator DTS sound better than the TPM.
I don't understand how one can make a judgement on a sound format using two different films. If you are not using the same film or the same mix it is comparing apples to oranges.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Gladiator DTS in it's full cooked glory. It is a reference quality soundtrack, but knowing different mixes were used between the DD and DTS not a really fair comparison.
At the same time I thought TPM is true reference quality espcially in EX. I like 2 formats...shoot me:)
What I am saying Adam is there are great soundtracks on both formats, so don't sell yourself short on a great audio experience just because it is not DD or DTS.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Dances with Wolves DTS
I will have to second this recommendation. Being one of the first DTS releases alot of effort was put into this mix. One of the better sounding DVDs period.

If you can still find this title, I would recommend picking it up ASAP. Image originally put it out, but now MGM has the rights and there is a good chance this DTS track could never be heard again on this format.

J

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Besides everything mentioned, my DTS demo disc is DTS Demo #2 or 3. Standout selection from disc are DAYLIGHT and MIMIC. I have read that these demo scenes were intentionally mixed for maximum sub effect. My guest are always amazed. Most common response is (besides the kisck ass audio and I can feel the explosion) "I didn't know DAYLIGHT was so exciting?"

I know that this has been brought up many times before but how can I be sure that JURASSIC PARK DTS disc is the fixed version?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I know that this has been brought up many times before but how can I be sure that JURASSIC PARK DTS disc is the fixed version?
The only definitive way seems to be to check the code numbers around the center of the DVD:

DEFECTIVE: PEMC-D2R1

CORRECTED: PEMC-D2R2

Some have also said the new version features a grid around the technical specs on the back of the case printed in RED. However, this does not seem to be consistent as many have purchased corrected versions (by number) with BLACK technical grids (as is mine).

With any "recalled" type of disc, sometimes you can tell the original issue by the stickers on the front for various offers and rebates (if it's a big, mega-seller). If there are stickers for expired offers, avoid.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
If you are going with an all JBL system, I highly recommend getting the S-center instead of the N-center. It is a 4 way speaker instead of the N which is a 3 way and it sounds alot better.
Actually that's not exactly true. Simply because the S-Center is more expensive and arguably from a "better" line (although it's only a 3-way with the N-Center being a 2-way), that doesn't mean it will match up with the rest of his Northridge speakers.
I have a pair of N38's for my mains with N26's for surrounds. I initially bought the S-Center, because I was young and foolish :), but soon realized the mistake I had made and returned it for the "inferior" N-Center.
The S-Center is not voice/tonally-matched with the Northridge line. It is a brighter speaker (which some people equate to better clarity and, hence, a better speaker), but it doesn't match at all with the neutral sound of the Northridge series. The N-Center was "made" to match the rest of the speakers in its same line. Try it out yourself if you don't believe me.
Sorry about this little tangent here, but I just had to mention that...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I love Dances with Wolves and I remember seeing the DTS set several places around town a year or so ago, I remember it becaue, oddly enough it was a box set of two snappers. I didn't have dvd player at the time so didn't buy it, but made a mental note to pick it up as soon as I did. Well two montehs later when i had a dvd player no Dances with Wolves anywhere! :frowning: I know it's out of print but haven't sought it out recently, so what price should I expect to pay for this? I checked Ebay and the going price ranges from $50 to 75! I'd love to have this movie, in DTS, but that price is quite extreme, especially with a rerelease upcoming soon.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Among many other screwups, The Phantom Menace DVD has a relatively low sound level (some 3-5 decibels I think I read). I was really disappointed at first, but when some guy analysed the disc he found the problem and advised that you just turn your volume up 3-5 decibles. Having done that, the soundtrack is the equal of any DTSenginerring is as good as any DTS disc I have heard. The pod race and light sabre battles at the end have set new precedents for engineering IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks