What's new

Omega Man - great transfer (1 Viewer)

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
Just got done watching the new DVD of Omega Man and while the quality of the movie itself is certainly debatable ;), the quality of the transfer is a home run. Vivid, accurate color and deep blacks in an extremely sharp image with no edge enhancement that I could detect on my 64" Pioneer.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
One of my favorites.

The video portion does look great. A lot of dark sequences in the movie are also clean (without noise). Projected on a 110" Firehawk screen via Marantz S2 projector connected with "DVI" to a Bravo D1 player.

Unfortunately, the sound is about one second out of sync with the picture and was a major disappointment for me.

Paul

Edit note: Please see my August 11 update post about the sound synchronization issue.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, the sound is about one second out of sync with the picture and was a major disappointment for me.
I was planning on picking this DVD up, but I'm not going to buy it if the sound is not synchronized with the picture. Where is the quality control these days? Do the folks that author these DVDs actually watch what they've created before they press thousands of them?

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
You have to keep in mind that many times synch problems stem from dvd players. I'd wait for more comments before I lambasted Warner's quality control.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
That's odd Paul, I don't recall noticing any sound sync issues and I have a hard time imagining I missed something as bad as a one second delay. I was using a Panasonic XP30 and the standard DD 1.0 English soundtrack. I'd take a closer look/listen, but the DVD is already on its way back to Netflix.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Love this movie to bits, watched it countless times, and there's nothing wrong with the sound on my region one copy, perfectly in sync.
Also included is a creaky 10min making of which was filmed at the time, for an Omega Man fanatic like me this was almost worth the purchase price on it's own! :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just got this, but haven't watched it yet.
I have seen it before and really like it, but I must say I do prefer the other version The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price, also passed on I Am Legend.
I had read a long time ago that Ridley Scott had planned a new version with Arnold, I had even read what was said to be the actual script (although I cannot confirm, so I assume it was fake) that was actually good, I would have paid to see it on the screen!

I watched it this weekend....and I enjoyed it very much...thought the transfer looked good and the sound was ok...maybe my expectations were not that high for a movie that was originally produced in 1971? One thing that I thought was interesting...early in the movie when Neville is recording his findings in tracking the mutants into his tape recorder, he mentions the date as "August 5, 1977"...August 5 is also the street date of the dvd release. Probably just a coincidence.....

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI

Played this disc on a Panasonic H1000 with progressive component outputs this morning and the sound was in sync with the picture. Tried the Bravo D1 again and the sound is still out of sync.

This puzzles me because I've had no other DVD, so far, that has played the sound out of sync on the Bravo D1.

This may still be a quality control problem with authoring.

Paul

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Paul,

Many users have reported audio problems with the D1. I believe the manufacturer has released updated firmware that corrects these issues. If it works properly on other people's players, as well as your own secondary player, it's doubtful there's an authoring issue.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jay,

the manufacturer has released updated firmware that corrects these issues.
FYI

Called V Inc. on 8/11/03 to ask about a possible firmware upgrade for my Bravo D1 (1st batch) for the sync issue. It was after hours, so I left a message. The next day I received a call back and was told they would send me the latest upgrade. It arrived by Fed Ex Thursday 8/14 at no charge.

After following the directions, I installed the firmware and tried "The Omega Man" DVD. The sound is now in sync. and I'm extremely happy with the service I received from V Inc.

Thanks Jay for the heads up.

Best,

Paul

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I found one copy of this yesterday and watched it last night.

Incredible DVD. Great transfer. Great flick, as always. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and Soylent Green as well (great double-feature).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just echoing Davids comments.
last night was the first time i've seen the movie and greatly enjoyed it.
due in large part to the A/V quality of the disc.
the image was a knockout on my system.
i've seen new releases that haven't looked this nice.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks