What's new

Olivia Newton-John "The Videos" Aug. 30, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Anyone have any information about the videos that will be included on this upcoming disc? The same day also debuts a new two disc "GOLD" collection from Hip-O/Universal. So far no information on their website nor a track listing on Amazon or CDUniverse where they have these releases already posted for pre-order.

With as many people that there are here from the industry, someone has got to know something.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Here is the press release for the two DVD's that has been posted on OnlyOlivia.Com:

Pop icon Olivia Newton-John was one of the first and most endearing artists of the video generation. Her clips for hits such as "Deeper Than The Night," "Twist Of Fate," "Physical," "Soul Kiss," "Magic" and others became instant MTV staples. Today, many of these highly treasured videos have found a second life on VH-1.

Now, on the heels of a new tour and the June release of her first two-CD retrospective -- Olivia Newton-John - Gold (Geffen/UMe) -- the DVDs Olivia Newton-John - Video Gold I and Video Gold II (Geffen/UMe), released August 16, 2005, bring together for the first time all of the video highlights and biggest hits of this groundbreaking music video artist. Combined, the two volumes include all of her conceptual videos from the Physical, Twist Of Fate and Soul Kiss video collections plus a handful of live videos of earlier hits as well as rarities.

Featured among the 19 selections on Video Gold I are live 1982 performances (shot on her Physical tour) of the early '70s classics "Let Me Be There" (gold, #6, Grammy winner), "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" (gold, #5) and "Please Mr. Please" (gold, #3). In 1978, she starred in Grease, the most successful movie musical in history, and this video compilation contains the video clip version of "Hopelessly Devoted To You" (#3, gold). That same year, she issued Totally Hot, which spun off the pre-MTV videos for the title track, two versions of the gold #3 "A Little More Love" and "Deeper Than The Night." Her 1980 film Xanadu yielded a blockbuster album and the #1 gold "Magic."

Video Gold I also boasts not only the videos for the best-known songs from 1981's Physical -- "Physical" (platinum, #1 for 10 weeks) and "Make A Move On Me" (#5) -- but also those for the album's eight other tracks: "Landslide," "Carried Away," "Recovery," "The Promise (The Dolphin Song)," "Love Make Me Strong," "Stranger's Touch," "Falling" and "Silvery Rain."

Video Gold II presents 20 selections, reaching back to Xanadu with live versions of "Suddenly" and the Top 10 "Xanadu" (featuring ELO), Grease's "You're The One That I Want" (#1, platinum) and '70s fan favorite "Sam" all taped live in 1982. "Heart Attack" (#3) and "Tied Up" appeared on 1982's Greatest Hits. "Livin' In Desperate Times," the John Travolta duet "Twist Of Fate" (#5), "Take A Chance" and "Shaking You" debuted on 1983's Two Of A Kind soundtrack. The 1985 album Soul Kiss contributes its title track, "Culture Shock," "Emotional Tangle," "Toughen Up" and "The Right Moment."

Also seen and heard are: from 1988's The Rumour, "Can't We Talk It Over In Bed," "Reach Out For Me" and the title track; from 1992's Back To Basics, "I Need Love;" and the 1998 #1 Adult Contemporary remake with Babyface of Olivia's double Grammy winning "I Honestly Love You" (gold, #1).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Blasphemy! The Physical video belongs only on laserdisc. Magazine ads for laserdisc players used to say "Just wait til you hear Olivia get Physical in stereo!" :)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

why must there be threadcrapping? I happen to LOVE Olivia's music, the Physical album is an all time favorite, I love all 10 tracks off that album. Or is she too poppy and not pretentious enough to matter?

Jay --- who still listens to "Soul Kiss" from time to time

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have strong pubescent memories of that "Physical" video. Olivia Neutron Bomb indeed! :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Jay...I am with you and I have to agree. I own everything that Olivia has put out and I have to tell you that I would rather listen to an album of her's than anything that is currently within the top 200 albums on Billboard.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

thank you, I personally think it's time for Olivia's catalog to be reassessed, kinda like how 15 years ago, ABBA, Bee Gees and The Carpenters had stigmas as "awful sappy pop crap" and then people finally came around to admitting that they LOVED them. Olivia IMO is from the same school as those and I think it's time for people to give her music a second look and realize she had some GREAT pop records. Totally Hot and Physical were both great ALBUMS, and she's regarded by most as a singles artist only.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Gold

I found this at one of her fansites. It looks like both dvds are being presented with DTS.

That's wicked awesome!

I hope they've gone through the trouble of remastering the video as well. The laserdisc is looking pretty sad.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I hope you won't be disappointed, but the back of each box lists only the DD logo and indicates 2.0 audio.

But there's good news, because that's not accurate either. The sound is . . . PCM! I've only had a chance to sample them, but so far they sound great.

Can't comment on the video, because I haven't seen any of these since the early days of MTV, and everything looks better than the TV and cable service I had then. :)

I'm changing the date in the title to reflect what turned out to be the actual street date.

M.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the DVD's are definately worth purchasing if you're an ONJ fan. Some of the videos are just priceless, the best ones have to be Landslide and Toughen Up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks