What's new

Oliver (1968) (1 Viewer)

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have also ordered numerous Columbia library Blu-Rays from Amazon's Germany site in the last month and have been very pleased with what I have received so far ("Tootsie" and "Sense and Sensibility" --- both region free and look terrific). Looking forward to receiving "Oliver!," "The China Syndrome," "Tess" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" within the next few days.

Note that the release of "The Way We Were" in Germany has been postponed to October 17; about a month before the Blu-Ray release on Twilight Time in the U.S.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Erik_H said:
Note that the release of "The Way We Were" in Germany has been postponed to October 17; about a month before the Blu-Ray release on Twilight Time in the U.S.
Odd. I just got a shipping confirmation notice from Amazon Italy, so my copy of "The Way We Were" is on its way. I hope there's nothing wrong with it!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Odd. I just got a shipping confirmation notice from Amazon Italy, so my copy of "The Way We Were" is on its way. I hope there's nothing wrong with it!
Amazon.it has posted a picture of the back cover of the blu ray of The Way We Were . It confirms the disc will play in regions A, B, and C.

Apparently the only extra is a 61 minute documentary in SD about the film. I assume this is the same documentary as the DVD especially since everyone mentioned as being in the documentary has passed away except Barbra Streisand.

China Syndrome is also playable in Regions A, B, and C

There does not appear to be an isolated music track like you get with most Twilight Time releases.
81nSv4l7hcL._AA1500_.jpg

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
And Oliver! This is the Oliver! thread. It seems Oliver!'s special features are in HD.
813qPJeqVnL._AA1500_.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
People seem to be receiving these, but so far no spot reviews...?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've received mine, and it is a nice disc. I do not have a critical eye, so my opinion of the PQ won't help out a lot of people. I think it looks very good.

The only complaint I have is there isn't a Chapter Selection option. There are chapters, but no menu option. I haven't gone all the way through, but I imagine the chapters are at the beginning of the songs.Other than that, it was a worthy purchase (especially since it is close to 50% of the price I would have paid for the TT version - 19 vs 35)

Now I just need to create an English cover for it.

David

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I've received mine as well. Is indeed region-free and looks great. Lots of extras as well.

Only down side is the lack of a chapter search.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have just got the German Blu and i am very impressed with this release also nice to see the original
intermission title card.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Noticed the intermission card... is that what was originally used? I saw it in roadshow in the U.S. in 1969 but don't remember that card.

Otherwise, I think it looks quite good. The original prints had a muted yet rich color palette and this comes pretty close to that, even if the occasional shot looks a tad faded. The sound I think is solid and there is more surround activity than on the dvd, notable mostly in crowd scenes in London. My only criticism is that the sound is recorded rather low (I had to turn it up quite a bit) and there is not much of a low end, though this title has never had much of a low end. I am guessing this is as good as we are going to get for this movie. For 20.00 the German disc is a good deal.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I was always of the impression that the colours were muted on purpose - only really bursting out with certain characters (Nancy's red dress and the Dodger's jacket, etc).

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Right... I think that was the intent and by and large the blu ray seems to reflect that. Given the story line it would have been grotesque to have everything in candy colors. Someone's post mentions that Oswald Morris used some sort of special filter to mute the color and I am sure the prints were carefully timed. It is a unique looking film.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
On another thread people are bitching about the transfer as being deficient in the German BD release of OLIVER!, which my wife and I enjoyed viewing last evening. Honestly, we both thought it looked fantastic and could find no fault whatsoever in the presentation. Highly recommended from our standpoint and with a large array of extras for a foreign release. Hadn't seen it since childhood (still have the original souvenir program) and was bowled over by it. How anyone can consider this one of the worst best picture winners seems ridiculous. They need not all be self important socially "relevant" propaganda.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
Mike, I already have "Oliver!" shipping to me via Sony's region-free release in Germany from Amazon.de...it's under $20 including shipping and will feature the same transfer as the Twilight Time release for about 30% below their list price...plus it's available NOW!!!
Sometimes I gotta be pushed. But I finally pulled the trigger on the Italian import via amazon.uk. It probably was a tad more expensive than ordering direct from amazon.it...but I didn't have the language issues.

I'm in for just about $20. Still a lot less than the eventual Twilight Time release and I'll have it a LOT sooner.

I also had Tootsie in the cart until I finally decided on that one I can wait.

Thanks, Luke!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Ed Lachmann said:
How anyone can consider this one of the worst best picture winners seems ridiculous. They need not all be self important socially "relevant" propaganda.
I was just reading the New York Times summary of the 1965 Oscars where the writer complained that THE SOUND OF MUSIC won over the "forceful, contemporary" DARLING. I was thinking, "Who says an alleged 'forceful, contemporary' film is automatically more worthy of an award than an old-fashioned crowd pleaser?" and OLIVER! is another good example of that.

Whatever the case, of the five nominees that year, OLIVER! probably was the best movie -- but the really best movie wasn't even nominated, although it was nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay and made more critics' Ten Best lists than any other movie that year. I mean, of course, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, which is also the highest ranking movie of 1968 on the AFI list of the 100 Greatest American Movies Ever Made. (In fact, it's #22, and it's the only movie from 1968 on the list.)

It all goes to show how meaningless the Oscars are. VERTIGO, now proclaimed "the greatest movie ever made," wasn't nominated either. (And it's the only movie from 1958 on the AFI list.)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
VERTIGO didn't receive ONE SINGLE NOMINATION! The Oscars can be fun for those inclined to enjoy such things, but they are not now nor have they ever been any barometer of what truly are the BEST films the medium has to offer.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Speaking of Vertigo (sorry to take this off-topic) when I saw the Anthony Hopkins' Hitchcock movie, I was surprised to learn that in 1960 Vertigo was considered a flop and Hitchcock was worried that Psycho was going to be another Vertigo. At what point in history was Vertigo elevated to the status of masterpiece?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Mark-P said:
Speaking of Vertigo (sorry to take this off-topic) when I saw the Anthony Hopkins' Hitchcock movie, I was surprised to learn that in 1960 Vertigo was considered a flop and Hitchcock was worried that Psycho was going to be another Vertigo. At what point in history was Vertigo elevated to the status of masterpiece?
The elevation as you call it has taken many years and I'm not aware of any one designation/occurance that has elevated Vertigo to 'masterpiece.' There are of course elements of the film that have always been admired since its premiere in 1958. Namely, the Bernard Herrmann score. One of his romantic bests. Of course the restoration in the mid 90's by RAH helped to garner much publicity and increase it's following. The acting, title design by Saul Bass, locale of SF are among the highs for this picture. And Hitchock's direction isn't too shaby. IMO one of his three bests with Pyscho and NBNW the other two...(not counting Rebecca).

And getting back to subject matter. Oliver is a pretty darned good example of the movie musical at its best. I'm just surprised at the negativity surrounding this fine film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks