What's new

Oliver (1968) (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Uh oh! Looking at those shots I may not be able to wait for the TT release. I may have to get myself the German disc.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Mike Frezon said:
Aren't most Twilight Time titles $29.95 at Screen Archives Entertainment?
They have two price points for Twilight Time movies. They're $29.95 and for most of the ones that I want, $34.95. I can't understand ANY of their reasoning for the price differences. :blink:

I recently ordered "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" $29.95, "Love is a Many Splendored Thing", $29.95, "Pal Joey", $34.95, and "Picnic", $34.95. The total order shipped was $137.00. They even charge extra shipping for EACH DISC in the SAME MOVIE! I wish Sony/Columbia would release their own pictures, priced the same as ALL THE OTHER COMPANIES. It's especially annoying when I think about the fact that I already have ALL THESE FILMS on DVD already....and in many cases film too. :angry:

Endlessly replacing a few hundred films can get pretty expensive after a while. They should offer a special "trade up program" for people they have screwed more than twice on the same film. :wacko:

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Seems to be, in your instance, that the Fox titles retail for $29.95 and the Sony/Columbia ones are $34.95. Perhaps the studios advise TT on the various price-points.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mike Frezon said:
Oh. I see. David is including shipping costs into the total cost for each title ($34.30).
Yes, wonder why? It's not really kosher - the list price is 29.98 save for a handful of older titles. I wonder if he adds postage when talking about the list price or any price from other companies?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
haineshisway said:
Yes, wonder why? It's not really kosher - the list price is 29.98 save for a handful of older titles. I wonder if he adds postage when talking about the list price or any price from other companies?
I added shipping because Twilight Time and Screen Archives have an exclusive forced shipping. All the other online retailers have 'free' shipping options - based on dollar amount, or being some type of member.

As I stated in my original post, the fact that Twilight time gets $29.95, and Screen Archives get $4.35 doesn't matter to the consumer. The cheapest they can buy it for is still $34.30. Nobody can purchase a Twilight Time item for that 'list' price.

So yes, I consider that a kosher argument.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
classicmovieguy said:
The shipping cost isn't really a profit for anybody. Good quality shipping materials don't materialize out of thin air and it's a more than reasonable fee in my opinion.
Absolutely agree. Folks need to keep the relative scale of operations in perspective...just as Twilight Time isn't one of the majors moving hundreds of thousands of units, neither is SAE an Amazonia-reach vendor with huge carrier discounts based on volume.

For a small, specialty company, SAE has never failed to impress me with their pro handling of my CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. Never a mistake, never a loss, and never any damage in transit*. And FTR, I haven't seen one postage meter lower than what I paid...usually a couple of bucks more. So I think SAE does a fine job. Total peace of mind, at least for this collector...

* Since my shipments have to survive a border crossing, I typically combine at least 3 items to ensure they get boxed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
classicmovieguy said:
The shipping cost isn't really a profit for anybody. Good quality shipping materials don't materialize out of thin air and it's a more than reasonable fee in my opinion.
Thank you for stating the painfully obvious. No one ever takes into account the envelopes or boxes things are shipped in, nor the manpower that has to do the shipping - those people aren't doing it for their health, you know. When we ship a CD we charge 3.75 shipping for up to two CDs and anyone who thinks we're making a PENNY profit on that is a lunatic, a simpleton, or a fool, not necessarily in that order. No matter that we buy tens of thousands of shipping boxes a year - there is NO price break EVER on the cost of them. Mr. Weicker has such a very clear bias against Twilight Time and it gets stronger in each post.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Does anyone know the difference of the cards in the TT and European editions?
i'm curious how are the updated ones in the latter.
(i understand the original in TT are just black screen?)

edit: oh, the updated ones are these?
since when they are dated? a reissue of the film at cinemas or home video releases?
oliver.jpg

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Does anyone know the difference of the cards in the TT and European editions?
i'm curious how are the updated ones in the latter.
(i understand the original in TT are just black screen?)

edit: oh, the updated ones are these?
since when they are dated? a reissue of the film at cinemas or home video releases?
oliver.jpg
That pretty much comports with my memory of seeing the Roadshow version in 70mm 6 track "stereo" ca. 1979. The major difference I could see (and hear) between the TT disc and that roadshow version is that on the bluray Nancy's dress doesn't change colors at the reel change in "As Long as He Needs Me" as it did on fillum I:thumbsup:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing much known -- it's one of Sony;s new revamped MOD line from Allied Vaughn (pressed BD like WAC titles).
So far most of them have been excellent quality, though limited extras.

The AlliedVaughn discs have an unusual history/issues with various websites and listings are notorious for coming and going, showing up very late or not even being put online until near release date, and very little discounts on pricing. I don;t think they deliver to the warehouses until very late and stock numbers seem to hard for retailers to get a handle on. Since they tend to be small production runs, they seem to be getting swamped with the Holiday replication delays even worse than the big studios not named Disney

It seems to be a tendency for the preorder to get filled/shipped a little late and then often go OOS at many retailers until the next batch is ready so it can be frustrating if you're trying to time a larger order or specific sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks