What's new

Olive Films Press Release: Dragonfly Squadron (3D Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to thank Bob as well.

He introduced me to classic 3D in his home.

Got to watch some great stuff in his company.

Now, I just preorder all this classic stuff sight unseen as I think
its vastly superior to most of the crap the studios have been
releasing.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Ronald Epstein said:
Now, I just preorder all this classic stuff sight unseen as I think
its vastly superior to most of the crap the studios have been
releasing.
I too will buy any Golden Age 3-D film on Blu-ray. I like 3-D, but what passes today as "good" 3-D is astonishing. I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night, and decided to opt for a 3-D showing after hearing that it was actually shot with 3-D cameras (this seems to be a rarity these days) and after reading this review:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Dawn-Planet-Apes-Ticket-43808.html

The 3-D was in fact almost non-existant. The stereoscopics were so light that you could almost have watched the film with the glasses off; every time I checked the blur on the screen was very very slight. I hear it was better in IMAX, but honestly if I can have 3-D in the home that has real depth to it, and plenty moments of objects flying past my face, then I don't see why my local mulitplex can't.

Anyway, keep 'em coming Bob, I'll buy 'em all!

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
The 3-D Film Archive has restored this lost 3-D film in 4K from the original left/right 35mm elements. The timing between both eyes has been precisely matched; the Intermission card is in the correct place; the dynamic optical audio track has been fully restored and is in sync; the baked-in vertical alignment errors have been painstakingly corrected shot-by-shot; the opening titles are now fully three-dimensional and the film has been mastered in the correct aspect ratio of 1.66:1.
Order placed :3dglasses:

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Outside of this thread, I know nothing about this film...never heard of it, much less seen it. But I'm going to get a copy anyway simply to support the work that Bob and others have done.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Alright! 3 weeks till the premiere of the first Golden Age title that was never actually shown in 3d in the 50s! Now available on Olive's website.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Sixty years after it played flat in theaters, DRAGONFLY SQUADRON will be available worldwide in the miracle of third-dimension on Blu-ray. The release date is October 14.We're very proud of the restoration and it was done at a fraction of the cost of what studios have paid for other vintage titles like HOUSE OF WAX (300K) and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. It's not scrubbed clean of film grain and imperfections but the 3-D alignment is now flawless. It looks remarkably good and we feel that you'll be very pleased. Hopefully, this will open doors for the Archive to restore other Golden Age titles for their respective copyright holders at a very reasonable price.

https://sites.google.com/site/3dfilmarchive/home/dragonfly-squadron

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
For as "strange" as it is as a movie....i would most certainly enjoy a release of THE MAZE....is there any chance of this? Or are ownership and surviving prints a problem?
Thanks.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's with Paramount and 35mm left/right elements survive.

We met with their Archive department last year. They are not planning anything with their 3-D holdings for now...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0003.JPG
Dragonfly Squadron is in the house!​
You are going to be hearing a lot about this release on HTF over the next few weeks​
A HTF 3D ADDICT review will appear mid-week​
Todd Erwin will also be doing a review soon afterwards​
We have a few copies of the 3D Blu-ray to give away via an upcoming contest -- so stay tuned!​

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Ron, it looks like you're the first one to get a copy of the disc!

I really appreciate your interest in our work and enthusiasm for Golden Age 3-D. Thank you very much.

Only 43 titles to go and Greg, Jack and I can retire!

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I have no delusion that all 50 3D movies from the 50s will actually come out on 3D Blu Ray. That said, each one that does is a victory and a pleasure. Especially the rarer titles like Man in the Dark and now Dragonfly Squadron. For all your efforts, Bob, Greg, and Jack, I thank you. Especially since I am aware that it is your efforts in the past that have ultimately allowed me the pleasure of seeing 40 of the existing 43 Golden Age 3D movies on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks