What's new

Olive' Films' first wave in July (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Classic Flix announces the first wave of Olive's Paramount licensed films for a July 13th release.

The 4 titles are:

Dark City (1950)
Union Station (1950)
Appointment with Danger (1951)
Crack in the World (1965)

Retail price is $24.95, but all retail sellers will have it for less.

Here is the link, with cover art: http://www.classicflix.com/dark-city-appointment-with-danger-part-olives-first-wave-july-a-722.html?osCsid=bfb2d20734703a43886ab95e0d31102d

Yes, they are a bit expensive (but no as much as the WB archives dvd-R discs) and cover art is not the best I've ever seen, but they are pressed discs and suposed to be restored, so I can't hardly wait to support this new venture! And I hope you'll do the same so we can get more Paramount classics in the future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be buying three of these titles as I never cared for Crack in the World.

Crawdaddy

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'll definitely be buying Appointment With Danger, Crack in the World, and Union Station.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Damn put me down for all four. I can not wait for Appointment with Danger and Union Station.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm in for all four . But 25 retail is a bit heavy for a standard no frills release .

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think the cover art is terrific! And I'd pay $29.99 for this stuff! Everyone is upset about the lack of pressed catalog titles in the market place yet they'll find something to point out as not to their liking. Would you prefer Paramount put them out as MOD discs?

Anyway, most likely these discs will retail around $17.99-$19.99 and remember Olive is licensing them from Paramount, they didn't get them for free. And yes, I'll be getting all four.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
The first three sound like great films, but $25 each is pricey.

I've seen Crack in the World which I thought was hysterically funny, but I don't think that was the intention of the filmmakers.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Most welcome and long overdue. Three interesting noirs from the classic period and a worthwhile sci-fi noir. I won't be buying any $20-25 DVD's although I've been wanting all four titles for a long time. No doubt the price will come down on amazon or somewhere.

What are the other Paramount films licensed by Olive, does anyone know?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
I've seen Crack in the World which I thought was hysterically funny, but I don't think that was the intention of the filmmakers.
Crack In the World is hysterically funny?
I must be confusing it with something else.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Richard--W

Crack In the World is hysterically funny?
I must be confusing it with something else.
That was just my response to it. Maybe it is a serious film, but it just didn't work for me at all.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Crack in the World is scientifically implausible now, but it was made before the science of plate tectonics was widely accepted, so it's forgiveable. I thought the rest of it was really very well realised. The special effects remain superb.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for DARK CITY for a long time. I'll be getting that one for sure, but I've never seen any of the others. I may try out CRACK IN THE WORLD.

This is a good thing .

Everyone is upset about the lack of pressed catalog titles in the market place yet they'll find something to point out as not to their liking. Would you prefer Paramount put them out as MOD discs?
Right you are, Thomas.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm down for all 4!

The price is a little high, but I want to support Olive films and the future of pressed catalog films.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch! I wish these listed at $19.99 or $14.99 instead, but I'll still try to pick up a couple to support Olive's venture.

Also, remember that Legend's Paramount films were similarly expensive upon release, but within a year or two you could get them for $5 each online. So if you can wait...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I always wanted to check out Crack In the World but I don't know if it ever got a video release. Decent flick, but typically 60's-cheesy and melodramatic. Maybe if this had come out on DVD five or six years ago I would've been all over it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jay E

I'm down for all 4!

The price is a little high, but I want to support Olive films and the future of pressed catalog films.
Same here, I will support this for the future generations.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'll be getting all four. Very pleased Olive's first wave is front-loaded entirely with films I really want. Pity that it looks like no trailers will be included. A decade ago, when it was still commercial-free and ran many Paramount titles, AMC was airing a nice-looking trailer for CRACK IN THE WORLD. It's up somewhere on YouTube these days.

I'm hoping Wave 2 will include SANDS OF THE KALAHARI, my most-wanted catalog DVD of all.

Yeah, CRACK IN THE WORLD doesn't square with modern science... unlike recent films like ARMAGEDDON, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, THE CORE, 2012, et al, which any fool will tell you are 100% scientifically accurate...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks