What's new

Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thomas T said:
Robert, No Man Of Her Own should be highlighted in bold as it's been out for some time.
Are you sure it's been released on BD? I can't find any hint of it being available on BD from any retailer nor a posted BD review of it. I have the DVD that I bought in 2012.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm still hoping they will release the 2 Republic serials they have on this list. It would be nice to get a couple in good quality presentations. There are only a couple good DVD releases, most are public domain quality releases taken directly from the old Laserdiscs. Its kind of sad these serials were well represented on VHS and Laserdisc but not represented well on DVD and Blu. I had at least 20 of them on Laserdisc but regretfully sold them along time ago.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Robert Crawford said:
Are you sure it's been released on BD? I can't find any hint of it being available on BD from any retailer nor a posted BD review of it. I have the DVD that I bought in 2012.
It was a DVD only release that has yet to get updated to BD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
My bad! I didn't know the list was restricted to blu releases only.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was at Fry's Electronics in Burbank to pick up some replacement keepcases and checked out the blu section and saw the blu of Olive's Mr. Peabody And The Mermaid on sale for $12.99! Needless to say, I snapped it up!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Oh wow! I'm waiting until the price drops to around $20 or so before I get that. I've been lucky online lately and bought back-catalogues like "That Touch of Mink" and "Secret Beyond the Door" for around $11 each.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thomas T said:
I was at Fry's Electronics in Burbank to pick up some replacement keepcases and checked out the blu section and saw the blu of Olive's Mr. Peabody And The Mermaid on sale for $12.99! Needless to say, I snapped it up!
I grabbed that while I was there also! I've never seen it, so it was a blind buy but too cheap to pass up.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched Mr. Peabody yet but I did scan the disc and I'm glad I paid just $12.99 for it. Frankly, if I didn't know it was a blu, I would have thought it was a standard DVD. So much for the "everything looks better on blu" theory. But I'm happy to have the film as I've waited for a long time for it to make it to disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thomas T said:
I haven't watched Mr. Peabody yet but I did scan the disc and I'm glad I paid just $12.99 for it. Frankly, if I didn't know it was a blu, I would have thought it was a standard DVD. So much for the "everything looks better on blu" theory. But I'm happy to have the film as I've waited for a long time for it to make it to disc.
The standard DVD from Olive would've looked much worse than this BD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The most recent Olive wave has had some pretty outstanding Technicolor transfers. Both Distant Drums and South of St. Louis look fantastic in very rich Technicolor.

While no digital clean-up work appeared to have been done on either, the source elements are nearly pristine so it's hardly necessary. South of St. Louis gets a bit of an edge since Distant Drums has some slight fade in the last reel. Both are very pleasing to the eye.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Pardon me if I've missed anything, but what's on the horizon in 2015 for Olive in terms of catalog BD releases (I know about the Film Noir single releases, Hurry Sundown, Sands of Iwo Jima, etc)? It appears they've run through most of the Republic film catalog, etc. Several films they licensed (Blood on the Sun, One of Our Aircraft is Missing) weren't released because of inferior elements (not that it stopped Olive before....sorry, did I say that out loud?).

Have they licensed any more blocks of titles? It seems they were releasing stuff left and right in 2012 and 2013, then slowed down considerably in 2014, or maybe it's just my imagination.

All in all, while some of their releases were problematic, they still released many films that I don't believe would have seen a BD release if not for Olive (similar to what Kino Lorber Studio Classics has done in 2014).

Just wondering.....

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm wondering if Olive has the Debbie Reynolds/Paramount film "My Six Loves" in it's control. This lovely family comedy wasn't even released on DVD.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
atfree said:
Have they licensed any more blocks of titles? It seems they were releasing stuff left and right in 2012 and 2013, then slowed down considerably in 2014, or maybe it's just my imagination.
They announced another batch of Republic last December (quoted below) of which they've only schedule one of so far. Didn't include nearly as many, but between that and what hasn't been released yet, it should tide them over through 2015.

There is possibly more they've acquired but have not yet revealed.

OLIVE FILMS is proud to announce the following NEW acquisitions. All of these films will be released on DVD and BLU in 2014:

Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) Comedy/Drama
Dir: Robert Altman – Cher, Sandy Dennis, Karen Black, Kathy Bates
••••••••••••
Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) Adventure
Dir: William Marshall – Errol Flynn, Vincent Price, Agnes Moorehead
••••••••••••
Man of Conquest (1939) Epic Historical Drama / Western
Dir: George Nichols – Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, Joan Fontaine, George “Gabby” Hayes
••••••••••••
The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) Drama
Dir: Albert Lewin – George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak, John Carradine
••••••••••••
Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Siodmak – George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Ella Rains
••••••••••••
Track the Man Down (1955) Film Noir
Dir: R.G. Springsteen – Kent Taylor, Petula Clark, George Rose
••••••••••••
A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) Gialo Horror
Dir: Massimo Dallamano – John Mills, Luciana Paluzzi
••••••••••••
The Eternal Sea (1955) War Drama
Dir: John H. Auer – Sterling Hayden, Alexis Smith, Dean Jagger, Virginia Grey
••••••••••••
Hell's Five Hours (1958) Film Noir
Dir: Jack L. Copeland – Stephen McNally, Coleen Gray, Vic Morrow
••••••••••••
No Man's Woman (1955) Film Noir
Dir: Franklin Adreon – Marie Windsor, John Archer, Nancy Gates
••••••••••••
The Quiet Gun (1957) Western
Dir: William F. Claxton – Forrest Tucker, Lee Van Cleef, Mara Corday, Jim Davis
••••••••••••
Stranger at My Door (1956) Western
Dir: William Witney – Macdonald Carey, Patricia Medina, Skip Homeier, Slim Pickins
••••••••••••
Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) Serial/Science Fiction
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Walter Reed, Lois Collier, Gregory Gaye
••••••••••••
The Invisible Monster (1950) Serial/Horror
Dir: Fred C. Brannon – Richard Webb, Aline Towne, Lana Bradford
••••••••••••
The Beat Generation (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Ray Danton, Louis Armstrong, Jackie Coogan, Vampira, James Mitchum
••••••••••••
The Big Operator (1959) Crime Drama/Rock-N-Roll
Dir: Charles F. Haas – Mickey Rooney, Steve Cochran, Mamie Van Doren, Mel Torme, Ray Danton, Jim Backus, Jackie Coogan, Vampira
••••••••••••
The Shanghai Story (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Frank Lloyd – Ruth Roman, Edmond O’ Brien, Richard Jaekel, Whit Bissell
••••••••••••
The Weapon (1956) Thriller
Dir: Val Guest – Steve Cochran, Lizabeth Scott, Herbert Marshall, Nicole Maurey
••••••••••••
Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) Western
Dir: Allan Dwan – John Lund, Brian Donlevy, Joan Leslie
••••••••••••
World For Ransom (1954) Film Noir
Dir: Robert Aldrich – Dan Duryea, Gene Lockhart, Reginald Denny

Jobla

Supporting Actor
THE BEAT GENERATION is expected in 2015.Meanwhile, I saw FEDORA today at a brick-and-mortar.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Big Operator came out in September, and Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean is scheduled for release on 11/18/14

Here's the list of remaining Paramount/Republic licensed titles. The following should be coming out in 2015 at some point:

The Adalen Riots (1969)Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)The Beat Generation (1959)
Beware, My Lovely (1952)A Black Veil for Lisa (1968)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)The Eternal Sea (1955)Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)Hell's Five Hours (1958)The Invisible Monster (1950)The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)Man of Conquest (1939)No Man's Woman (1955)Outrage (1950)The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)The Quiet Gun (1957)The Shanghai Story (1954)The Sound of Fury (1950)
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)Stranger at My Door (1956)Track the Man Down (1955)The Weapon (1956)Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)World for Ransom (1954)And the following DVD-only releases should get upgraded to Blu-ray at some point:The Buccaneer (1938)The Lawless (1950)No Man of Her Own (1950)Pony Express (1953)Something to Live For (1952)Tropic of Cancer (1970)

Also, here are the titles that will not be released due to poor/missing film elements:

Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
Brandon Conway said:
The Big Operator came out in September, and Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean is scheduled for release on 11/18/14Here's the list of remaining Paramount/Republic licensed titles. The following should be coming out in 2015 at some point:The Adalen Riots (1969)Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951)The Beat Generation (1959)Beware, My Lovely (1952)A Black Veil for Lisa (1968)Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)The Eternal Sea (1955)Flying Disc Man from Mars (1950)Hell's Five Hours (1958)The Invisible Monster (1950)The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1974)Man of Conquest (1939)No Man's Woman (1955)Outrage (1950)The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)The Quiet Gun (1957)The Shanghai Story (1954)The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945)Stranger at My Door (1956)Track the Man Down (1955)The Weapon (1956)Woman They Almost Lynched (1953)World for Ransom (1954)And the following DVD-only releases should get upgraded to Blu-ray at some point:The Buccaneer (1938)The Lawless (1950)No Man of Her Own (1950)Pony Express (1953)Something to Live For (1952)Tropic of Cancer (1970)Also, here are the titles that will not be released due to poor/missing film elements:Blood on the Sun (1945)Breakthrough (1979)Cadence (1990)Dakota (1945)Fighter Attack (1953)A Lady Takes a Chance (1943)The Last Command (1955)A Man Alone (1955)Marjorie Morningstar (1958)One of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942)Oregon Trail (1936)
You forgot to include The Sound of Fury (aka Try and Get Me, 1950). If I remember correctly, it was among the earlier batch of Paramount titles...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
bubuwest said:
You forgot to include The Sound of Fury (aka Try and Get Me, 1950). If I remember correctly, it was among the earlier batch of Paramount titles...
I've noticed he has a habit of forgetting that one ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks