Olive Films Blu-ray Release and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Wade Sowers, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Paramount has licensed a bunch of Puppetoon cartoons to B2MP for their upcoming Puppetoon Movie Blu-Ray. By all appearances, they're an even smaller player than Olive. Companies like that will probably be the next to tackle the cartoons.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Except, when they did do work - like for High Noon, people didn't like it. It was the wrong work.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Though, I was relatively please with High Noon, I do think the criticism was warranted in regard to that release. It could have looked better with some additional work.

I'm kind of surprise this thread has received such a bump in activity. That's great as it's always nice to read different opinions. Good or bad, collectors such as myself are thankful for Olive and the number of forgotten titles they have released on BD and that I never thought some would be released even on DVD.

ahollis likes this.
  4. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Personally, I kind of view Olive as the Warner Archives for blu. They have a terrific list of titles (many obscure or things I never thought would be put on Blu-Ray - It's In The Bag - thank you), they are priced about the same. And almost all the Blu-Rays are a good upgrade from DVD.

I'm very happy with the Olive titles I've purchased.

David

5. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Supporting Actor

Nick
    Pretty shocked to hear about the 1.19:1 stretching going on with most of the Betty shorts. If Olive arranged the scans themselves, what possible excuse do they have for the shorts to be stretched out once they reach the discs? Other than complete incompetence?

I squeezed a cap back to its apparent original proportions:

http://i.imgur.com/EkWVLnJ.jpg

Notice how comparatively, Betty's head looks completely distorted on the Olive Blu-ray.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Shocking quality control, they wouldn't listen to those in the know who informed them about the aspect ratio and instead did this, terrible decision.

7. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Do you mean Walter Catlet? To what disk are you referring?

8. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    I would stock up on more Olive titles as well if they were priced between $10-15. As it is, I purchase 98% of them from Importcds, which I hate because of the time it takes to receive packages, but it feels better to pay $15 as opposed to $24.99 on Amazon. IMHO many of these Blu-rays just aren't worth $25.

JohnRa and ahollis like this.
  9. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

I just compared Betty Boop's Bamboo Isle on the Landmark Laservision 60th Anniversary laserdisc to the version on Olive's Blu-Ray, and this comparison is right on. The distortion of the character proportions in the earlier cartoons on the Blu was obvious to me even before I did an A/B test, since I'm intimately familiar with these from numerous viewings over the decades in both commercial releases and my own tapings. What the hell were they thinking? This seriously calls for a corrected remaster and replacement.

10. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    That's my issue with Olive, that the quality often does not equate with the asking price. If these were released by Mill Creek at their price points, I would likely buy every single title Olive has released and not be inordinately concerned with the quality. At that point it's all about just wanting to see a rare movie in at least watchable shape and aligning a fair price with lower expectations.

ahollis likes this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    From MisterLime:

:( The Five previously announced titles (Bamboo Saucer/Bang! Bang! You're Dead!/Cry Danger/Witchboard 2/Young at Heart) will be it for October.

12. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Sorry, meant Catlet. They are HD supplements on the Perfect Understanding blu-ray.

Bamboo Isle stuck out the most particularly in the live-action dancing segment at the beginning of the short. Everyone looked very noticeably short and fat due to the horizontal stretch. I agree that the aspect ratio problem is a really big botch given the supposed "experts" at Paramount, but even if it was Paramount's doing, Olive should have been able to correct it on their end.

13. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Why, oh why? Why would they stretch it?

14. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    What I don't understand is who informed whoever did the transfer to do them at the Movietone aspect ratio in the first place. By the time Betty Boop made her debut, all the studios in the US had agreed on using viewfinders that had an area almost identical to what the Academy would refine in 1932 (1.33-1, which AMPAS expanded to 1.37-1).

15. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    From MisterLime:

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Despite the fury over the Betty Boop films, I'll be looking forward to the following titles:

The Pawnbroker
    Home of the Brave
    Flying Tigers
    The North Star
    Operation Petticoat
    Distant Drums
    Sands of Iwo Jima
    South of St. Louis
    Men in War
    Beware, My Lovely
    Good Sam
    Caught

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yesterday, I viewed the blu-rays of Flat Top and Only the Valiant. The former was mediocre at best PQ-wise while the latter was very good with only a few rough dupey patches. Besides Flat Top being dirty and scratched, the color appeared off to me with the Cinecolor process.

19. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Cinecolor has a limited palette and FLAT TOP is in the two-color system.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/cinecolor2.htm

With that said, I've run quite a few in original 35mm prints and they can look very nice.

I mastered SCARED TO DEATH from nitrate Cinecolor for laser disc twenty years ago and it looked pretty good.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Bob,

It looked very red or pink in many scenes and I'm not talking the scenes in which the actors were in red light conditions for the pilots to adjust their eyes to darkness.