What's new

Oldie of the day (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This one has always facinated me a little bit. Shelly Fabare was an actress not a singer. I believe she had to sing this song "live" on the set of the Donna Reed Show. She must have been terrified.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I love all these old songs. My mom has a huge 45 collection and, when I was in elementary school, I went through every one, A & B sides. I grew up with songs from the 50's and early 60's during the 70's. The simplicity and energy of the music from that era will always be my favorite... oh and The Beatles. ;)

This one has always haunted me in a good way, even tough it came out 6 years before I was born.

Fun Thread! Thanks!
C

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This one is from 1070 (oop's! I meant 1970,) so it really doesn't qualify as an oldie in the context of this thread but I've alway liked it and you don't hear it that often. It really isn't that great of a song compared to some others mentioned here but it has a strange hold on me.

MiceElf

Auditioning
Real Name
Cathy Davis
The reason we mourned the passing of John Lennon......todays youth don't know what they're missing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by MiceElf

The reason we mourned the passing of John Lennon......todays youth don't know what they're missing.
A wonderful song, and a wonderful clip. That album (esp. the British release) is, in my experience, highly underrated. The songs are fabulous for many reasons.

:)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The story behind this one, with it being pulled off the radio and investigated by the FBI, is pretty strange.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Those are some fabulous clips of the Fabs. Thanks. :)

Here's my favorite song from the very early days at the Cavern. I have a slower version of Some Other Guy as well, which is in a different key (D-flat(!)) due to the speed (and not the performance) of the cut.

For my own part, I prefer this version as it's more authentic:

Here is a considerably cleaner sounding track for those who prefer it:

And here is my favorite version of Money, although I also like the Deccagone Sessions track, especially for comparative purposes. I recently played the version contained on The Beatles Beat (Japanese import) and then the one included on The Beatles 2nd Album. I can't imagine finding music with a higher energy level than this cut (and with other cuts contained on The Beatles 2nd Album) ca. 1964. And in my opinion, The Beatles 2nd Album is a very underrated American album. (And this is coming from one who greatly prefers the British albums for a variety of reasons.)

For those who are interested, there is a book on this album by D. Marsh, The Beatles' Second Album (New York: Rodale, c2007). The ISBN is: 1594864268 (9781594864261). It includes a discography. Here is the contents listing:

Give them 22 minutes (they'll give you the world) -- Pledge of allegiance -- Taking it too seriously -- The sound of young Britannia -- Liverpool to Hollywood via Gary, Indiana -- Butchered -- The man who hated the Beatles -- Building complexity out of simplicity -- Millions of "yeah".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks