What's new

Oldie but goodie...matching Boston Acoustics a100's with a center speaker... (1 Viewer)

Larry Conners

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Conners
I recently bought a beautiful set of BA A100's at a garage sale...Would the BA VR12 center work well with these speakers..? I see one on ebay...I'm more interested in voice clarity than special effects...Thank you for your appreciated advise...Larry

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perfect = 3 identical speakers for left, right & center.
Great = 3 speakers from the same line.
Good = 3 speakers from the same manufacturer. At least they keep the timbre similar.
Unless someone has heard your proposed setup, it will be impossible to give an opinion.

Larry Conners

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Conners
Thanks, Robert...Your conjugation makes sense...My thinking was an all BA speakers system from much the same era, late 80's, early 90's, would be compatible...I'm a firm believer in the KISS formula, especially when it comes to electronics in the home...My system is a very simple 2 front speakers, a center, and a sub, all driven by an Onkyo receiver receiving an optical signal from my HDTV set top box..
.I guess, like you say, I will just have to hear it to know if it will provide the voice clarity I am seeking...Thanks again...Larry

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d suggest trying to eBay some smaller Bostons from the same era – perhaps the A60 or A40. Probably a much better timbre-match than anything current. Naturally, you’ll probably have to buy a pair, even though you only need one...
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Larry Conners

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Conners
Interesting suggestion, Wayne...My knowledge of the a40/a60 speakers runs to a 65' MGB rebuild when on a lark, I installed a pair of a40's as part of the car's sound system...blew me away !!! Very crisp and well-defined vocals with moderate bass...Not sure how these would work as a center speaker to the a100's though....they are small but powerful little guys... Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks