Oldie but goodie...matching Boston Acoustics a100's with a center speaker...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Larry Conners, May 12, 2012.

1. Larry Conners

Larry Conners Auditioning

I recently bought a beautiful set of BA A100's at a garage sale...Would the BA VR12 center work well with these speakers..? I see one on ebay...I'm more interested in voice clarity than special effects...Thank you for your appreciated advise...Larry

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Perfect = 3 identical speakers for left, right & center.
    Great = 3 speakers from the same line.
    Good = 3 speakers from the same manufacturer. At least they keep the timbre similar.
    Unless someone has heard your proposed setup, it will be impossible to give an opinion.

3. Larry Conners

Thanks, Robert...Your conjugation makes sense...My thinking was an all BA speakers system from much the same era, late 80's, early 90's, would be compatible...I'm a firm believer in the KISS formula, especially when it comes to electronics in the home...My system is a very simple 2 front speakers, a center, and a sub, all driven by an Onkyo receiver receiving an optical signal from my HDTV set top box..
    .I guess, like you say, I will just have to hear it to know if it will provide the voice clarity I am seeking...Thanks again...Larry

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’d suggest trying to eBay some smaller Bostons from the same era – perhaps the A60 or A40. Probably a much better timbre-match than anything current. Naturally, you’ll probably have to buy a pair, even though you only need one...
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Larry Conners

Interesting suggestion, Wayne...My knowledge of the a40/a60 speakers runs to a 65' MGB rebuild when on a lark, I installed a pair of a40's as part of the car's sound system...blew me away !!! Very crisp and well-defined vocals with moderate bass...Not sure how these would work as a center speaker to the a100's though....they are small but powerful little guys... Larry