oldest running theater in America?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Oct 19, 2001.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Hey guys here's a story from my neck of the woods. Possibly the oldest running theater in America is just out the road from my home. Take a gander in our local paper.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2001101931/
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "Remember, if you can't be polite to our guest you have to sit at the kiddies table."
    [Edited last by DarrinH on October 19, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks Darrin...
    I love to read about those old buildings. When I read the 1907 date I thought you might have a real contender, but 1926 seems like a more realistic claim for this theater. Even that is a good long run and I hope they find a way to continue. Many small towns use the old theater for, well, theatre.
    My little town has an empty jewel of a movie house. It dates from 1929 and has that great Persian Palace look with a starry sky. It's now owned by the local conservation society and I climb up on the marque once a month to change the sign. We use it to promote other conservation society events.
    The letters I use up there are 70 years old, copper painted green, 6 inches tall. They don't make 'em that way any more and you can't buy 'em either. [​IMG]
    Jim

3. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the Uptown in Washington, DC has been around since the 20's.

4. Jun-Dai Bates

Jun-Dai Bates Stunt Coordinator

The Castro celebrated their 75th anniversary a little while back. They played films from when it first opened, in 1922.