What's new

Older receiver uses optical, newer dvd player doesn't -- a way to bridge this? (1 Viewer)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Quick question, and I have a feeling I know the answer but I'll ask anyways. My Sony receiver dates back to about '99 or '00 and to get 5.1 surround sound, it uses an optical cord (little glass bulbs at the end of the cord). The Sony dvd player I had at the time also connected via the optical cord for surround sound, but I had to replace the dvd player a few years back when it went kaput. The replacement is also a Sony but it doesn't use an optical cord for 5.1. I haven't kept up with the technology over the last number of years, but is there a way to bridge this gap and still get 5.1 surround or am SOL?

Thanks,
Ben

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I assume it has a coax digital output (the DVD player)? If so adapters can be had cheap at places like monoprice.com.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Phil, yes good point. I'm not at home, but I believe that it does have a coaxial output. What you suggested appears to be exactly what I need! Thanks so much!!

Edited by bgart13 - 8/5/2009 at 04:01 am GMT

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Robert you pointed to optical to coax, I think the poster said he needs coax to optical:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have to ask ... back then, if a receiver had optical it usually had coax. Does your receiver have a coax output? If it does you gain nothing from using the optical, the coax will provide the same quality sound.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Al, sorry for a late reply. I do not believe that the receiver has a coax input/output for audio.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Tried to post a min ago, so, apologies if it shows up eventually for a double-post... I now have the box and found a cheap cord, but haven't been able to pick up the remaining speakers I need to fill out the 5.1. I think I know the answer, but for you more expert members, how might my receiver process the channels with only two speakes but things hooked up properly otherwise for 5.1?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Note that you don't need any special cable for a coaxial digital connection- any standard RCA cable will do. I found this out when I bought my receiver 11 years ago and thought you did need a special cable, so I was suckered into buying a $50 short Monster Cable (I thought I needed it for AC3 laserdisc, but only after I got the stuff home did I find out what I really needed was a demodulator), then tried an old RCA cable I had laying around and it did the job just as well.

Most receivers have setup options that let you use fewer speakers- if you only have 2 set "center" and "rear" to "No" and it will mix all the channels down to 2. Don't know why you'd want to do that though :)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well if you do Want to use a RCA cable it would be best to use the Yellow (Video) cable as it is 75ohms as the Coax Specs reccomend this rating.. Altho you can use a Regular RCA cable it is just best to use the Yellow one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks