What's new

Old Speakers - New Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Brad-F

Stunt Coordinator
JakubH

I see. So if i have a sub, I can set my other speakers to 'small' thereby reducing their power requirements?

Is this normal or ideal in a home theater? Would one be better NOT setting any of the speakers to 'small', assuming the power was there to run them. Or would it make no real difference?

I have been looking at the NAD T752 but it is out of my price range. Plus i have read of people have terrible problems with this model. So I am watching that one carefully so see if they get it sorted out (with firmware or something)

I have just started looking at a Kenwood amp. A KRF-V6070D-S (australian model). You can see it here..
wwwkenwood.com.au/home3.asp?gid=2&cid=34&pid=452

(put a . character after the www bit. I have not made 15 posts yet and can't post URLs)

This amp is in my price range, but I don't know really what it is like or how its power output rates, as I can't find a review of it anywhere. This is a question for another forum anyway.

DonnyD

Screenwriter

Power hungry? No, I think not......When I bought mine in 1978, LARGE receivers were only around 30 watts per channel and the L100's were driven with ease. They certainly can handle lots of wattage but no one should assume that makes them "require" it. Brad, if your Centurys are in good shape, you'll find them beatin' the crap outta most anything regardless of wattage........

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Brad:

If I were you, I would go 4.0 with what you have right now. Use your JBL's up front and put the Yammy's in the back. I would concentrate on the surround receiver, get one that is at least 6.1/7.1 so that you can add speakers as you go along. A sub would be your first additional speaker.

If you want a center channel you should think about getting new mains (front speakers) as you will almost definitely not find a good sonic match, which is key for a center speaker. But I say use the JBL's and run phantom mode for now.

The reason I say just use the speaks you have now is to get used to their sound and see if you like them. Not knowing your budget, I'd like to add that I helped set up a first home theater for a close relative on a tight budget, and we used his 20+ year old fisher tower speakers, no center (phantom) and simply added a couple of satellite surrounds and a small sub. Good sound and the family is happy.

Good luck!

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks