What's new

Old Soapstone Twin Laundry Sink & Washer Discharge (1 Viewer)

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
We live in a house that is more than 50 years old. Next to the 40 year old Speedqueen washer, there is an old soapstone (could be concrete) twin laundry sink.

The washing machine discharges the grey water into one side of the twin sink. We just found out that the water level in the sink is not supposed to rise to the level that the drain hose from the washer is submerged, (as has been the case for some time now).

We don't know if the sink is beyond repair. I was at Home Depot, and one of the workers said he had the same kind of sink. He said the sink just needed to be snaked.

We need to get a drain that works ASAP. But at the same time we don't want to go beyond what is really needed. One person said to get rid of the very heavy old sink and get a cheap plastic sink from Home Depot for $50.

We are at a standstill with a new floor and a new washing machine until we can get a proper drain (for the washer).

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I would imagine that snaking it would be a good first start. How is the plumbing in the house, septic system or public sewer. Do you have a separate grey water septic/drywell or combined with the bathrooms, sink, etc?

Do you have an uppump on the laundry tub/washing machines to get to your main plumbing line? If so, then they usually have a filter that gets clogged up, especially with lint and debris from a washing machine...

Jay

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a simple slow drain to me. I certainly would hesitate to replace that great old sink with a modern plastic POS.

Suggestion: (1) Try about 2 or three bottles of Draino. (2) If that doesn't work, Call a plumber.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
What is under the washer? Could a drain pipe be added just for the washer? It sounds like they took the easy and cheap way by having it discharge in the sink.
I would also try Draino or a plumber before removing the sink.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My house (built in 1950) had one of those sinks, until a full second bathroom was put in and all other plumbing in the basement replaced a few years ago.

Washer now drains into a wide standpipe? I think because it has a wide diameter, all the lint and other debris goes down without a problem. The sink was replaced with a cheapo plastic Home Depot model.

When it had the old soapstone sink, my grandmother tied an old nylon stocking to the washer drain pipe, this kept the lint out of the sink. It still clogged occasionally, but was always easy to clean out with Drano or a plunger. Hopefully the clog is in the trap and not further down the line.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ditto the pantyhose idea, or you could buy specific lint traps that are somewhat cleanable.. I have one in the cheappo place laundry tub that my washing machine drains into. The only thing with those, that when the drain does clog up, I have to be careful it does't spill over the tub onto my basement floor...

Jay

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. You have a drain problem (below the sink), not a sink problem. Clean the drain.

Is there a P-trap (the P-shaped bend in the drain below the sink) you can get at? Take it apart, clean, also clean the pipe that continues down, should be fine after that, I would expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks