Old receiver vs new as pre/pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Patrick-J, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

In a couple of months I'll be relegating my Yamaha RX-V495 to pre/pro status by tacking on a good quality 5 channel amp something used, like a parasound or B&K et. from e-bay.
    I was then thinking about the next step. If I had $400 or so to replace the Yammy would I be better with a new lower end receiver RX-v640 or Denon 1604 or an older higher end model like the RX-V2095 or Denon 3801. Let's assume I'm sticking to 5 speakers for now and I don't care about 6.1 or 7.1 or any video switching. I'm thinking mostly about processing quality for use as a pre-pro. what would be better new or used?

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Having just acquired a new receiver and experienced Dolby Pro Logic II, I can say that that is a must have feature over regular Pro Logic, so I would take the newer receiver as a pre/pro (since you won't be using the amps anyway). If it wasn't for DPLII, I'd save money and look for an older processor or receiver.

3. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Paul,

what have you been using DPL II for? CD, VHS? I'm familiar with it in theory but tell me why you like it.

PS. Could a Moderator please move this to Amps and Receivers so my mispost will stop interupting peoples A/V-sources surfing?

Patrick

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to Receivers

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    DPLII is great for VHS, two channel tv programming from my cable/dvr and, on my current speaker system (still waiting for my new ones on backorder), for music (cds, tapes, tv music channels). When my new setup arrives, I'll likely toggle from pure audio and DPLII to see the difference but it is a must have for VHS and TV (waaaaaaaay better than old pro logic). On old programmes, the processor doesn't have much to work with (stuff from the 60s and 70s) but on current shows, it is a huge step up. Even things like Law and Order, not prime surround sound material, one would think, comes alive with DPLII. I've had just over a week and I'm never going back.

6. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Interesting. For me, my primary concern is 2 channel music quality . do newer less expensive receivers hold their own abgainst an older used receivers that could be picked up for the same price? I do do a lot of home thearer as well, but Movies seem a bit more forgiving than music.

Patrick