What's new

Old Man in the Moutain collapsed. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
This sucks. It was such a great historical landmark here in New Hampshire. I have seen it many times, and was amazed at it every time. Such a loss it is.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
That's awful! I just saw it a couple years ago...only a week after September 11th. Any more details?

StephenA

Screenwriter
It was a nice place to visit. :frowning: Too bad they can't repair it, and it wouldn't be the same if they did. Visiting family up here or just travelling or on vacation when you saw it Bob M.?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Both, Stephen. My sister is a nun in a monastery in northern Vermont. We visited her and drove down through New Hampshire the next day, saw "The Old Man in the Mountain", and "The Flume", and the Shaker Village. Beautiful state you have up there!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
While in college I went to visit my girl friend who was working at the Franconia Inn. We took the obligatory trip to the scenic lookout and she even game me a mug with the Old Man etched in it.

Kind of like lossing one of the presidents on Rushmore.

Sorry to see him go.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Even though they knew this was going to happen it really is sad to see the mountain without the Old Man.

Well now I'll only have my New Hampshire State quarter as a reminder of the Old Man.

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
Over at the official website it says the Governor is looking to get it rebuilt. Hell, years ago the nose fell off and they tied it back on. When they rebuild now I'm sure they will find a better way to make it stronger.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I suppose they could rebuild it, and it would be impressive, but it would be a different thing, wouldn't it? I mean, sure, it would look the same, but it would be something constructed, a work of art, rather than an amazing bit of serendipity in nature. It would become the worlds most impressive forgery, in a way.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Too bad. I remember when the large prominence at Seneca Rocks in WV fell about 15 years ago. I hadn't ever seen that either. Seneca Rocks is still very impressive. The Old Man will be remembered by the quarter as well as many photos.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I think it's ludicrous to contemplate rebuilding it. A colossal waste of funds. I do think it's a shame it fell, however.. and I know of several landmarks here which will someday have the same fate befall them.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
Sad story! I hadn't heard about this yet from my parents, who still live in NH...I moved to Maine 4 years ago but was lucky to see the Old Man a number of times while growing up...

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose they could rebuild it, and it would be impressive, but it would be a different thing, wouldn't it?
It's basically been a man made product for many years now. I visited it a few times and visitor center has a history of the Old Man. Rocks would fall off it and they would cable them back up there. I say they should build a casting of it, make it out of stainless steel, and paint it rock colored.;)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
FYI, it's actually called The Old Man Of The Mountain. I should know, I've lived in NH all my life. :)

It'll be interesting to see what they do, but I don't see how they could rebuild something like that. The cost and logistics would be prohibitive. I guess we'll just have to remember it in our state quarter and highway route signs.

It's actually amazing it stayed intact for as long as it did, as it was basically being held up with bubblegum and bailing wire so to speak. Well, cables and epoxy.

KJP

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But restoring it may help raise the state's profile. :D

(sorry...not as good as Jack's) :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks