What's new

Okay To Drill Hole In Back Of Speaker? (1 Viewer)

ronsweet2

Grip
Real Name
Ron Sweet
Hello:

I am setting up my speaker system and have the surround speakers in place. Now I am attaching the left and right front speakers.

I bought speaker brackets which I've mounted to the wall. In the directions, it says that to mount the speakers there must be a screw hole in the center of the speaker (on the back of the speaker). But there is no such hole on the two front speakers (there was one for the other two). Is it okay if I drill a hole in the center of the speaker to put on the bracket mount or would that mess the speaker up somehow?

Thanks, Ron

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
It depends tremendously on the speaker in question, how big a hole, its location, and if it completely penetrates the box or not.

And, once a hole is there, what does the mount do with it? If you need to install one of those threaded inserts that you pound in so you can put a quarter-twenty threaded rod in, well, I can't say I'd think that'd be particularly reliable.

Go cautiously here.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Go on line and check for Z-Clips, best way to mount on wall speakers, and a cheap way of doing it.

Taterworks

Auditioning
Real Name
Rory Buszka
Any hole in a speaker enclosure, if not completely airtight around whatever you put in the hole, will create a leak and wreck the acoustic bass loading of the enclosure. So be careful -- anything you do will need to be airtight.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The answer depends on the cabinet thinkness, crossover mounting location & attachment method of the mount. So as you see, we can't really answer this question without knowing which speaker & which mount.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks