What's new

Okay...let's talk GPU for the car (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Had the privilidge of renting a Hertz car in
California with a Neverlost GPU unit.

The thing was pretty damn cool, though it had
a tendancy not to take you on the most logical
route.

I was impressed with the unit so much that I
decided I wanted to buy one. The closest thing
to the Neverlost system is the Magellan
750NavPlus
found here:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/produc...asp?PRODID=915

The problem? Cost is about $1600.

Was also looking at the Garmin Street Pilot
which can be found here:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...k_10&oid=55682

The problem? Still a little pricey.

The problem is, I want the color screen, large
viewfinder and voice prompting. With all those
features I suppose I am going to pay a hefty price.

Anyone know of an excellent GPS unit similar to
the above models but a little less expensive, or,
should I just wait another year for the prices on
these things to come down?

Hopefully I'll find some good advice here.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm afraid any halfway decent GPU (I have known them as GPS) systems are gonna cost upwards of the thousands. I have an Alpine DVD GPS system, which in itself costs about $2000 -- this was 2 years ago though. I would highly suggest you stay away from CD GPS systems, as they take FOREVER and a day to reload a different route if you stray from it's current route (unexpected road blocks or for whatever reason). Then when you factor in the cost of a screen, you're looking at another thousand or two.

In my opinion though, they are an awesome investment if you take road trips (as most units have the entire US and Canada loaded onto them), drive around to wherever the spirit takes you alot, or simply want the peace of mind knowing that wherever you go to, you can always rest assured that you can get home easily, safely, and mindlessly...after all, almost all these GPS units talk to you "next left, or freeway onramp in a quarter mile." And it's usually in a nice attractive female voice too.

Plus, don't forget that these CD/DVD navigation units can be loaded with a different country disc if you ever decided to take your car abroad.

The cost for these things probably will (if not have been slightly) going down, since many mid-level cars (like the Accord) are now offering GPS units as packaged options.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
my boss won a garmin street pilot...and I must say ITS AWESOME! He uses it for bicycling when he goes on LOOONG treks...

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Check out the new Garmin 2610. Color, touchscreen, all te cool stuff. And the best part is that it can be had for around $800. I'm definitely buying one when teh new truck arrives.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks