What's new

Okay i got a tempest but i want more (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
It rocks in movies don't get me wrong but i find i listen to music a heck of a lot more, so i am looking for an alignment that will be 100% music compatible. By that i mean won't bottom out with the bass drum hits like my tempest does.

From my knowledge that i have gained here i am leaning toward a nice Strke AV15 in a sealed box. after that i am clueless.

but whats a good alignment i should look at 2 cuft 3 cuft? I am looking a an F3 of around 20-28hz. I have a BFD with one free channel so i can eq it and flatten anything out.

I would love to pick up an old Crown Amp, something like the 300AC that has tons of head room and is bullet prof. But i think the AV15 needs more guts then that.

So what do you think?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I think 3ft^3 looks good. It'll give you a Qtc=.6 if it's heavily stuffed.

But I'm with Ronnie. I'd first plug the port(s) on your current tempest and see how you like it.

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto on trying it sealed.

Also, if I were you, I'd get a second Tempest before I scrapped the one I had and went with something else. If I recall the specs correctly, twin Tempests should whup a single AV15--more Vd, more efficiency--provided you don't mind a bigger box.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i will try somthing to try and seal the ports.

I like how the AV15 looks, very perfesional. mmm aluminum and i eventually might give my tempest to my parents because it is a little too big :) (i never thought i would hear my self say that)

oh well we will see how she sounds sealed. i am just looking at my options. thanks for the quick replies

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
You can seal it up with a Nerf ball.

BTW, you're not going to get an anechoic F3 around 20-28Hz in a sealed enclosure. Maybe in-room response.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
anyone got a 4 inch nerf ball?

i did however through in a t-shirt and cover the opening with duct tape but its not sealed up air tight and i am still getting a slaping, i don't think its the driver bottoming out, i didn't really do anything with the wires that make the VC parralle they might be slapping around but it seems more deeper then that.

It handles rap very nicely, 50 cent "in the culb" the place is bouncing, same goes with the end of Thomas by A Perfect Circle. But somthing like "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" by floyd i have to turn it down. It just seams that there is to little resistance to the driver.

oh well, i am loving it and will mess around with my settings and tweet my BDF some more

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd put the drivers and ports as close to the corner of your room as possible for some additional room gain.

I found that moving it just 6 inches made a measureable difference.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah its not really ideal for the roomseeing its not really in a corner, so i might be over driving it a litte. but the amp is only at half way and my gain on my reciver is at -6db, oh well.

BTW i don't really condsider myself a bass head but i do like a good bump to my music.

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
It rocks in movies don't get me wrong but i find i listen to music a heck of a lot more, so i am looking for an alignment that will be 100% music compatible. By that i mean won't bottom out with the bass drum hits like my tempest does.
Like others, I'm not sure I get this. A "bass drum hit" generates frequencies between 31 Hz and 165 Hz. This should nowhere compare to the LFE extension. There may very well be something you don't like about the sound of your sub on music, but it should not be a case of it "bottoming out" on you.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
That all depends on the alignment.. I can easily bottom out my EBS Tempest during music and I also found that I want more for music.. I have already designed my new box that will have another Tempest and 2 more PR-15's so I can still have my low extension and get more midbass punch... Although I'll be switching to an Adire alignment for the new box cuz I just can't imagine a 680 liter box when this 340 is already HUGE.. The dual adire alignment of about 428 liters will be managable..

And lemme tell ya.. I'm so glad I put casters on my current box.. Without em, it would be nearly impossible to move..

Dan_Gtp

Grip
I'm agreeing with Travis and Allen on this one. I love my vented Tempest to pieces for movies. Its just unbelievable. Music is pretty good but like Allen said, it doesnt seem to handle certain bass drum sounds. It seems to work way too hard. I dont know why.

I'm assuming it has something to do with how low these large boxes are tuned. It's sad that I sometimes enjoy my old 1.5 cu ft ported 12" car audio box with music than my Tempest. We know we lose midbass punch when making low tuned boxes that have flat responses, thats probably causing the problems. Though you could start that whole "you need to get used to the way music should sound" discussion.

I want to try plugging my port as well to see the difference, but my port is 6". I'm sure I will find something eventually.

Dan

PaulDF

Second Unit
I'm in this boat as well. EBS Tempest. Movies awesome, music makes it work too hard.

I have been with the understanding that an EBS Tempest is nearest its max excursion around 35 hz. I am still not totally clear on where a drum hit fits the spectrum, but 35 hz must be a major part of it.

Anyone tried to cut the freq's a bit around 35 hz with their BFD to see if the noise went away? I have been thinking of doing this. Maybe tomorrow since we have more snow here tonight!! :angry: I guess no yard work tomorrow!! :D

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
wow snow in may that pretty hot, oh i guess it wouldn't be :P

I will see what i can do with the BFD when i get home and more time on my hands

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
In some car audio amplifiers you can adjust Q-bass with a knob.

The tests I ran dealt with a tempest in a 214L 15.4hz box, and a tempest in a 100L box tuned to 24hz.

Sure enough the boxes sounded fairly similar yet the smaller box tended to have more presence and impact in the "musical" bass which is what I liked more. (Due to a mid-bass hump and different Q)

Now getting back to the "Q". As I turned up the Q-bass, the sound became much more chest pounding with tons of impact coming from either sub. The bass notes rattled the car, as distortion was added to create a genuine boom machine. As I turned down the Q-bass, the sub began to sound more like a HT sub as if it were simply part of a full range system.

In conclusion, I think a different box design can definitely give you the bass you are looking for which seems to be something more in the lines of chest impact and slam, rather than smooth and delicate.

The EBS of all designs is the most smooth and "audiophile" type bass boxes you could have designed. :)

A BFD reducing humps is also another big "NO" if you want to hear all that mid bass chest pounding and slam.

BTW, your room is smaller sized so you won't have the benefits of room gain that can help with the deep bass that larger rooms have. Smaller rooms can tend to sound dry with deep bass because it doesn't have the room to flex it's wings with standing waves.

Good luck

A

Anthony_Gomez

here are some port plug options. these are just plumbing pipe plugs. I think you might even be able to get them at homedepot. They should come in the 4" variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.