What's new

Ok some choices here... (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I think some of you know my dilemma... My car audio woes are getting me bent outta shape.
I am goin' with a new sub.(O.K.'d by the wife of course)
My ebay Pioneer 12 didn't pan out. I have a few suggestions and would like input.
First and foremost, My local audio shop is having a closeout on JL wo's, eighty bucks ea. for 12's...Not sure if he's got 10's...but at eighty I can only swing one.
second would be a pair of these
My third is... I have a guy that has an in road to wholesale... A little lower end y'know, Lanzar... Alphasonic...Digital Audio...Some Audiobahn... Pricing is Rock Bottom. Could probably get a pair of 12/maybe even DVC's for the price of one at list price.
Preference is hard rock/metal...I'm really leanin' toward two 10's because of this... More smack, y'know??
all opinions welcome... remember my budget, though
Kevin

a few questions...

-> Can you build your own box?
-> How powerful is your amp?
-> And how much are you willing to spend?

Kevin G.

Second Unit

pretty much the buck to buck twenty will kill my budget, which is why only one 12" w/o will work.

Jachin

Auditioning
Id go with the JL audios anyday. I think if you bought something from the other guy, you might be happy with the price at first but you would be dissapointed when the equipment broke. BTW what kind of amp do you have?

eddie-M

Agent
Take a look at the image dynamics IDQ 10" great sub, that will keep up with your type of music, also if you want to go to a 12", you can do an Adire Shiva.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since Adire is switching build houses from Destijl Engineering and Emenince and going to Compania Acustica de Chile the current stock of Shivas is down to zero. Also the Shiva will not be a 12" sub any more. It will be a line of subs available in 10", 12" and 15" versions.

To stay within budget and get a 12", I'd go with an
SAE 1204. The T/S specs are very similar to the original Shiva but it will perform better in small enclosures. Or ED 13Kv.2.

-Robert

Adam R

Auditioning
the eD Kv2s are nice subs, the IDQs are nice, and the new Arc KAR subs are pretty impressive little buggers too

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I keep hearing hub-bub over Arc amps. Anyone in the know that can vouch for their quality? How do they compare to something like Zapco or Phoenix Gold?

Adam R

Auditioning
I have an arc 2100cxl on my tweets

It's a nice amp, I would put them above PG, roughly equivalent to the Zapco Ref but below the Zapco c2k. I enjoy my LP more than the Arc, but unfortunately LP isn't making amps anymore, so the only way to get one is used.

oh, and Arc's CS kicks ass

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
There is a guy on caraudioforum.com that is selling an RE SE 10" for $120 shipped.

Otherwise, I second the IDQ.

eddie-M

Agent
Arcs are great amps, I ran the 4150 and 2500, but wanted more power, now I am running Tru Technology T03 line with burr brown upgrade. Thinking of getting there tube amps now... oh yeah, yes they are good amps.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I am running a MkIII Shiva off a bridged Arc2100 (~380W) and it is more than enough sub for my car (extreme extension, plenty of impact, etc., etc.). For super-musical operation the enclosure size may be a bit bigger than your typical car sub driver (I used 2cu.ft.). I agree with Adam's quality assessment.

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't bought a sub yet, you can get the Image Dynamics ID12v3 for $135 authorized from sound domain. Just put it in your cart to see the discount.

Also, Ascendant Audio is closing out their Atlas and Avalanche lines. You can get an Atlas 12 for $100.

As for ARC amps, they are good solid amps. Not really underrated and good SQ.

Now the TRUs are a whole different world. I have 2 of the Copper series (7.4 and 7.4T) and am about to get a Copper Hammer for my sub.

TomT

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, been here for a long time. Mostly posting in speakers and receivers forums.

As for the Copper Hammer, it is a standard H-1 Hammer amp but in the Copper finish.
Here are 2 pics:

Tom

Rudy Cardona

Auditioning
Kevin G car audio is what im VERY familiar with and let me help you out, A W0 is not going to give you any serious SPL and they have been discontinued and replaced with the W1’s, unless you get 2 12's and port them you’re going to notice a VERY small change from youre last Pioneer install and I am VERY sure that a single w0 10 is going to give you the same result as you’re pioneer, tell me how you were running that pioneer?(ported, sealed, model) and if you listen to rock i KNOW how important that kick bass is, i would honestly recommend you go with a single 12 or 15 ported its only going to cost you 10-20$ more than a 10, I have experimented a LOT with subs/boxes and the results have been that a ported box will get you that kick bass in rock music, and you’re midbass will also play an important part, get youre self a GOOD performance subwoofer not a entry level one if yorue budget is 100$ and youre are NOT willing to go with more than that get youre self an ALPINE TYPE R 12 or 15 new(all models under the new 2005 ones), they go for 90$ at

ikesound.com

and that is the best value for under 100$, the IDQ is also a very nice sub and yes the ARC serious sub is the IDQ except one has push terminals. And i am curious as to how much spl you want in yorue car?it seems like not much at all? what type of car? i used to own a 12 type R and it was great, PROBABLY best deal under 100 new. Any car audio questions ask away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks