What's new

Ok, my computer is now my cd player...how should I connect video? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Let me start by saying that I am not a computer guy, so please by gentle. I recently hooked up my computer to my receiver through a optical digital cable and now I can use my computer for my music. I am loving it; I have about 300 cd's ripped onto the hard drive and I bought a iMON remote which I programmed all of the important functions (for me) into my receiver remote which means that I can control all of my components including the computer from one remote! It's awesome. I can simply hit play, pause, random, etc. from my receiver remote. Hell, I can even control the mouse.

I bought a chaintek soundcard for 25 bucks and with a lot of reading forums and experimentation I was able to get it to play cd's in 44.1 instead of converting to 48k. I'm even listening to a dts 5.1 cd right now, so I no I'm getting the best possible signal.

You would think that I would be satisfied, but I can never leave well enough alone. I have found that I like to watch visualizations (g-force, milk drop) while I listen to music on the couch. The thing is though, the picture on the tv is not that great. I have a 65 inch Mits. RPTV and I have it hooked up through s-video to the computer. I am also getting lines that consistently go down the screen which is annoying as well.

Here's where I show my ignorance. I'm not even sure what video card I have. The only info I could find on my computer said "Radeon 7500" so I think that might be it.

Would my picture be made better by using component cables? My video card doesn't have component out, but it has two other outs and I'm not sure what they are (DVI maybe?). My tv doesn't have DVI, it only has component so I hope that's not a problem.

Anyway, can I hook it up with my current card? Maybe there is some kind of converter from whatever my outputs are on my card to component? Will it make the screen look way better all the time, or is it just for high def movies etc.?

thanks for any help you guys can give me!:)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You could get a box (transcoder) that will convert the VGA output to Component. These run $100ish.

You could look into a better/different videi ouptut card- but f you wanna go svideo- the best you can do is standard 480i video- where with a VGA transcoder you could actually output "hidef" images to your set (if it accepts it).

-V

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Thanks Vince,

where can I find one of these transcoders? What do you mean by "if it accepts it"? Do these transcoders not work on some tv's?

Also, any ideas on the lines that keep scrolling down my tv? I'm guessing it's some kind of electrical interference but I don't know how to fix it.

thanks again

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Most likely- or improper sync rates... would be hard to offer any useful suggestions without being there.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I do have an HD tv, so I'm good there.

Thanks, looks like I'll be looking into getting a transcoder.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Hmmm.. rechecked my tv and I do have a "GBRHV" input. I did some research and it looks like I need a "breakout cable". I don't know what this is, but I'll do some more looking.

Users who are viewing this thread