What's new

OK, I'm definitely in the right place...help me please (1 Viewer)

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
OK, been doing some reading here hoping to find my answers. I'm sure they are here, but I can't find them... I have the following... Yamaha htr6060 receiver Bose Acoustimass cube speakers (5) Bose Acoustimass sub (doesn't seem to be working) Monster hdmi cables and speaker wire. I am finishing my basement and plan on burying my speaker wires. I bought the receiver used, but it's in great shape. I bought the Bose speakers (model 25) at an auction, the cubes work, I can't get the Sub to work. I'm not even sure I'm testing it properly. I have the Bose Lifestyle Receiver, model 20, it powers up, can here noise interference, but it goes away. I can't get sound out of the full system. I bought the Yamaha wanting to use it anyways. I plan on using the Bose cubes and buying a Subwoofer. I need to know what to look for. I'm buying used equipment as I'm on a tight budget. You guys sound like you really know your stuff...and look forward to your comments. I apologize for being such a Newb....lol

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If the Bose Bass Module (it's not a subwoofer - it does not remotely meet the criteria of a "subwoofer") is not working, you're out the whole system.

The cube speakers are low impedance speakers and cannot be safely connected directly to your receiver via speaker wire. Doing so and turning the volume up to any reasonable level will damage the receiver, speakers, or both.

Do a search on this or other forums to find out why Bose is not at all respected by anyone who's interested in producing quality sound for home theater. The only redeeming quality of Bose is their high resale value.

If budget is tight, consider starting 2.1 or 3.1 and expanding to surround speakers later. It would help if we know the limit of your budget so we can offer concrete suggestions.

NewEgg.com has great deals on some decent Polk speakers, and if you're open to buying refurbished equipment, places like accessories4less might have some decent deals, too.

Edit: Looking briefly at the manual for your reciever, it does support 6 ohm speakers, and the manual states you can use 4 ohm speakers for your mains, but I would still be very wary of connecting the Cubes. IMO, you're playing with fire and that's too nice of a receiver to risk damaging by using Bose cubes.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
Thanks for the reply. Would a bose system work with a Yamaha receiver? Or does it need it's original receiver to work? Not sure of a budget yet.... If I have to start over then it will probably wait until spring/summer. Then I will probably look to spend $500-$750. I would have no problem starting with a 2.1 and adding as I go though.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Bose systems aren't really designed to be connected to a real A/V receiver. The Bose "Bass Module" does a lot of signal processing to the input signal and routes the audio to the speakers in its own "special" way. Using a Bose module with a receiver is really a complete waste of a receiver, because everything that the receiver should do (and can do better than the Bose) is relegated to the Bass module. Auto configuration and setup utilities don't work since the speakers are not connected to the receiver directly. The list goes on and on.

Furthermore, a closer look at the online manual for your system indicates that you also need the "Lifestyle Music Center" unit in order to get everything connected the right way. Another deficiency of that system is that it appears to have only three sets of analog stereo inputs, so it doesn't even support true digital multichannel surround sound.

For a budget of $500-750 you can definitely do a LOT better than Bose, and you probably wouldn't necessarily have to start 2.1 or 3.1. Bookshelf fronts and matched center, a Dayton subwoofer from parts-express, and some satellite sized surround speakers are not out of the question.

A system like this comes in around the lower end of your budget:

Polk Monitor 40s (fronts): $150 shipped

Polk CS1 center: $80 shipped

Polk OWM3 surrounds: $100 shipped

Dayton 12" subwoofer: $180 shipped

Total: $510

From there, you could opt to step up some components as your budget allows, or as your room requires (you didn't mention how large your room is - that might affect the speaker choice, too). It will be important to keep your front three speakers "matched" to each other - same manufacturer, same product line. No need to match the subwoofer, but size and wattage are important there. Stepping up the surrounds would be the lowest priority. Get 14 gauge speaker wire from www.monoprice.com. No need to get anything thicker or too expensive but be sure to get CL-2 rated for in-wall runs.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For this particular Bose system (this is the manual I found) the Bass Module does not have any inputs other than a proprietary (even for Bose!!!) audio connection from a separate "Lifestyle Music Center".

If this is indeed the case, then without the missing component, the system can't be used for anything.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
I downloaded the manual and hooked it up correctly. I've decided to just sell the bose system, get what I can...any suggestions? My Yamaha receiver will do everything I want it to. I just need to find a speaker system for it. Depending on what I can get for the non-working bose system....I may have to wait till holiday bills get caught up. The system suggested previously sounds like it would be perfect for me. Problem is...I live in Canada, have to see how much more shipping is.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
What are your thoughts on the Energy Take Classic system? Familiar? From what I remember, Energy used to be good speakers. I may be able to get a good deal on a slightly used or reconditioned system...

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
The room is about 16x20 I'm looking for a clean sounding system for movies/sports. Music won't be blaring too loud at my place...lol

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I also like the little CS2310B speaker system from Boston Acoustics. http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-CS2310B-Classic-System/dp/B001GIOSWG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325718847&sr=1-2 It's priced at $249 now but I've seen it on Amazon (and other internet sites) for as low as $199. With either the Boston or Take speakers the subwoofer might be over-matched in a room that size. If it does prove to be lackin, throw it on Craigslist for $100 and get a BIC F-12 or V1220. Add an Onkyo 509, Denon 1312, Pioneer 821, Yamaha 471 or even an H/K 1600/1650. But setting the crossover high enough is crucial with smaller speakers like those. Bose's marketing dept has done a helluva job promoting thier...stuff. You should be able to sell it quite easily, even if it doesn't work. Prices for a 5 speaker Bose Acoustimass system range from $300 to $50 on CL in the S.F Bay Area.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
How about a Paradigm PS800 sub, with Titan fronts and center speakers...it's a start?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Paradigm Titans, center and the PS 800 sub would be a pretty sizable upgrade over the EnergyTake Classic or Boston CS2310B.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
OK, got the Paradigm's... They are in great shape... but...I'm not getting sound from the sub! Seems to be hooked up correctly... How bout one of you guys come over and hook this up for me...lol

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
No sound from sub can be the result of a couple of factors.

First, if you ran the auto setup routine, there's a chance the main speakers were set to "Large". This means the receiver will send a full range audio signal to the mains, possibly bypassing the subwoofer. The section in the manual that deals with Manual Setup (Starting on page 69) details how you can set your main speakers to "Small" (actually, you should set all your speakers to Small if you have a subwoofer). Make sure "LFE/Bass out" is set to SWFR. The Crossover frequency is a setting you can play with, and shouldn't have a dramatic effect on whether or not you hear bass. 80Hz is the default, and should be OK for now.

Also, make sure the auto setup recognized and enabled the subwoofer. If you heard sound coming from the sub during setup, then you should be OK.

Finally, if you were testing your system by listening to stereo music, as opposed to a digital multichannel movie source, that could also have resulted in nothing from the subwoofer. By default, 2-channel stereo sources are played through the front main speakers only. Changing the "LFE/Bass out" setting as described above should also fix this problem, and stereo music, when listened in "2ch Stereo" mode will utilize the subwoofer.

Hopefully these settings will solve your problems, if not, there are probably some other things we can have you try.

blueorrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Handley
OK, Sub is working...speakers were set on small....I'm not gonna lie, I never would have figured that out. The research you guys did into what I had absolutely impresses me. I just want to thank all you guys. Without you guys, I would have been lost. I now have the start of a pretty decent home theater system. I'll use this forum to research. Once again, thanks so much everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks