What's new

Ok, I finally did it!! SVS PB-13 Ultra (1 Viewer)

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I purchased the SVS Ultra PB13 in oak :eek: that was a B-stock item, yep a few hunnies more than what I wanted to pop for but I did not want to go through buyers remorse as it seems it is rated very well. I looked at the PB12 Plus/2 very seriously but I won't look back. I feel like I'm getting the latest technology and some of the best bang for the buck out there, yeah even after considering two of the new BMF'rs-15 from AV123...;-) I can't imagine those beasts invading my LR/HT.....cool but c'mon.

I strongly considered the new offering at AV123 and thought the size was a factor in my mind, as I mentioned above, much less the girl friend size acceptance. (no comments please, I'm talking about the sub) I also considered the Epik Castle which is not available and several others so I will soon live in LFE bliss with the rest of you bobble heads of bass.

So far I am like a kid waiting for Christmas, scheduled to arrive next week sometime.:P

Since I have had little experience with high quality subs I will give my initial reactions as I install it. I will calibrate it into my system and stretch its legs. I know there are dozens, if not more threads on guys getting these things but darn it, this one is mine and I'm excited about it!!!

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Wow, you lucky bastard. I'm sure your anticipation will grow stronger every day as the delivery date gets closer for when you will get your new toy.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From what I can tell, as long as the price difference doesn't make you gag (it isn't that big a difference) the Ultra is the way to go. I'm envious.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Well the total including tax and the delivery is a few bucks under $1600. So I did not choke or gag but I might have to wash it down with a beverage tonight....just to celebrate ;-)
Yeah, thank goodness for a good bonus this year otherwise I could not justify it.

I might have to delay that membership to the cigar shop I was thinking of though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So here I am again...sucked into a thread by it's title...all set to live vicariously through the descriptions of a fellow HTFer about what one of the "big boy" SVS subs can do.

Don't leave any details out, Scott. Hope it fits through the door!

I've got to go now and see if my Sony SA-WM40 needs dusting. :frowning:

:D

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Hey I hear ya...I have been suffering with a Kenwood 8" 160watt "sub sub" for two years now and finally I stepped up to the REAL game.

I have been looking, reading, wanting and wishing and finally when I was so fortunate to get a bonus I thought I should treat myself to a great reward and after a few years of looking, asking and reading I decided I'd pop for this thing even thought there were smaller cheaper upgrades in abundance.

One of my weaknesses, if that is a weakness, is to want the best. Ok, I know some of you purists will throw out some quips about Fathom, home projects, submursives and the like but for what I have in a room and for what I read and my listening levels considered, I don't see how I could have chosen better. BTW, I have paid attention to all of these suggestions over the last year or so and it is one reason I have waited so long.

I want a great experience not blown ear drums, now mind you, I love it LOUD like the next guy, but for extended use c'mon, let's be realistic, I will listen at theater levels or close as I can to it. Oh BTW, I'd rather ride my Harley up and down A1A and check out the Bikinis than work in garage cutting and sanding as well as figuring the excursion, volume, q, etc....

I will give a laymans reaction to this thing and I hope I'm blown away with it because for da*n sure I could use the $ elsewhere.

Although from the several conversations and several emails I have had with SVS I have complete confidence that they want us all to experience the thrill, just like they do. This is what has drawn me to "invest" in this latest technology of SVS and not "settle" for the clearance item of the PB12-Plus/2 which was VERY tempting at $400 less. However, as John so aptly put it it really is not that much more to get the top of the line SVS.( not to mention many many many testamonials to the quality and performance of SVS and the latest offering)

I have several friends that have some good HT equipment, one of my cohorts in fact just opted for the paradigm route for a 5 system and the .1 was a nice velodyne 10" at a not so cheap solution,(I heard it was da&n#d impressed amd with the Denon 3808) I can not wait to compare the two systems with HT being the primary focus.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's quite a jump from an 8" sub to the SVS PB-13. You might notice a difference...

:D

What's the rest of your system look like, Scott?

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
LOL, yeah I knew that was coming.
I have Samsung 46" DLP 720p
Denon AVR 587 (I know, bottom of the line)
JBL Voice, and stage for center and fronts
Advent Questras for rears

Revised system as of 2/11/08

Denon 587 AVR
Toshiba HD DVD('cause the infidel just below is not really HD)
Samsung HD DVD
HD Dish
SVS PB-13 Ultra
Paradigm Monitor System 7 v3 fronts
Paradigm Mini Monitor v3 rears
Paradigm CC 370 v3
Samsung 46" DLP 720p
...and One big A$# smile
So, I have room for improvement in other areas but my sub is, at least, up to the latest technology.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
From you, I take that as the ultimate complement. I have read and understand your grasp of the "hobby".
Thanks, Scott

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, Scott. I would like to at least get the chance to audition a 13 Ultra. Of course, I wouldn't want to give it back.

Need any photos Ron? You may be hearing from me....

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well. I have the PB 12 Plus/2 and can't tell you how awesome it is. My next door neighbor called just about an hour ago asking what movie I was watching because they can hear the SVS through my heavily insulated, poured concrete basement! I've had mine for awhile and would have probably opted for the newer model if I were buying today just as you have decided to do. From what I can see, SVS is a solid company. I had a driver fail and they promptly shipped me 2 new ones at their expense. When you call them, you get a real human being who knows his craft. Very refreshing compared to the standard fare.

I know you'll be delighted with your purchase, and you did the right thing by buying it BEFORE marriage. My wife still mentions how crazy I am for shelling out that kind of cash for "a speaker."

Of course, you know you'll need at least 2 people to move it. Mine weighed in at about 140 lbs.

Congrats!!! Isn't it great to be a man! [no offense to any ladies]

John

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
LOL, well I have been married twice and in the midst of child support and alimony I have learned the importance of "self indulgance"! I've earned my stripes and now I reap the rewards....only you that have travelled the path know the real pain.

There is light at the end of the tunnel but this time it wasn't the train!

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
The notice came from SVS yesterday that BaxGlobal picked up the Sub and it is on its way. I tracked it and it should arrive early next week.

The anticipation is growing! I am going out to pick up some speaker wire, as I need to reroute my surrounds, some banana plugs and I'll be soldering those and getting the room ready for the arrival of my new boy. This should distract me for a few hours. I was watching Lara Croft last night in high def and couldn't help thinking she will be so much sexier with better bass reproduction.....this is a sickness I tell ya!

Stay tuned for my blow by blow shootout between the Kenwood 8" 160 watt sub and the SVS PB13-Ultra!!!! I'm sure there will be a slight advantage given to the Kenwood because of its nice small size. Also the finish is matte black which kind of makes it dissapear in my room. It also blends nicely with my existing speakers so that will be a consideration. Because it is only an 8" I am sure it will be quicker that the beast arriving soon. Kenwood is the best sub ever, no one can touch its reproduction!!! I'm such a fanboy, I will hate to part with it.

(yes this is a joke)

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
As I have had several email convos with the guys at SVS giving me recommendations and guidance as how to set up the beast to arrive tomorrow....I must say they have been thorough, accommodating and helpful in every aspect.
Oh, yes!! the anticipation is at its peak!

Usually you spend a few bucks and then it is "on with the next one", not with these guys, might I say ABOVE and beyond the normal......

Thanks Erik, Ron and Ed.........I am feeling secure in my choice and it isn't even here yet!!

Tests, calibration and integration to follow..............

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Scheduled to arrive after noon tomorrow...dying here. I will dig out the camera........now where is that darned charger...lol.

Well, you said you wanted details.............

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
The Ultra is an ok sub...nice grab. Oh, and I'm kidding. Even with all the anticipation, I doubt you're prepared for how brutal, yet deft this sub is. You're going to want to upgrade everything else shortly ;^).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ron speaks the truth. If you haven't already, you may want to give Axiom a call.

John

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I called Bax today around noon and they said it would be delivered between 3pm and 5pm. I took off work at 2 and drove home to "get ready". They arrived at 2:45pm, good thing I left early. The box was perfect, the driver brought it to the door and offered to do more but I declined as I wanted to unbox it on the front porch. It was a pleasant delivery. On time and helpful as well as friendly. Things are starting out good.

I took pics as I unboxed it and moved it into my LR. Yep it's BIG and it's pretty in oak. I did not have a problem moving it, I put down a beach towel to set it on and scooted it but the last lift and set in the corner was a little difficult by myself but it is in place and I'm no worse for wear.
(I'll post the pics later)

I am impressed with the build of this thing, it seems really solid and feels like it is constructed very well. It could actually be an end table!

On to the more important issues.

I followed the advice of SVS and went through the preliminary settings on my reciever(it was difficult not to just say the hell with it and start pumping out tunes) Anyway, I set the crossover at 80hz, made sure my speakers were set to small, sub on, you know...all the basics. At this point it would be nice to have the Avia CD and the SPL meter but my friend "forgot" to bring her cd for me and the Radio Shack I stopped by was sold out of the meters.....although there is one stocked at the Radio Shack near work....grrrrr. Poor planning on my part. Oh well, calibration will have to wait.

I started the listening by setting the sub on its 20hz tune, no plugs and gain set to 1/2. The output was low but it was noticable. I boosted the gain a little too much and the bass was overpowering......stimulating but overpowering.

I went through a sequence of about 1 hr of music tracks played from XM radio from the dish. I have to say, even without calibration this thing just blends in so well is is not localizable in my room. Oh and BTW I heard bass I have only heard in live concerts before.

I am watching Entrapment at the moment but have gone through several movies and played some great scenes. The Rock, Batman Forever to name a few, I did not record the time of the scenes as I was just bouncing around and basking in the joy.

This thing is the Micheal Jordan of HT equipment, it makes everything around it play better. That is my initial impression.

I want to just enjoy this and get to know it a bit, I will play with it in the 15hz tune as well. I will also get the calibration down in the next few days and then report along with some pics.

So far, I am very very impressed.

Now back to Entrapment.....gotta love to watch her practice with the lasers!!!

PS: It's an hr or so later and I put Pulse in.....they lied!!! I have never experienced this in any theater. This is frightening bass.

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
wow, congrats!!! I have a NSD-10 or whatever and I love it...can't imagine how awesome yours is gonna be

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks