What's new

Ok, got a RP91, now what? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Levesque

Auditioning
Skeptic that I am, I waited a long time to decide on a Progressive Scan DVD player to upgrade my Sony S530D player. I bounced between the Denon 2800, Pioneer DV-37, etc. and settled on the Panasonic RP91 due to the enthusiastic response to it on the forums. Excellent piece of gear.
My question is, now what? Are there any tweaks or hidden settings I should know about? I have already been through the initial setup outlined in the manual. When I first hooked it up to my Toshiba 61" HDTV, I was suprised to find the hue setting on full green tint by default. The color looked really bad until I backed it off to 0. After re-calibrating the TV with the Avia disc, the color looks pretty good. The clarity is excellent. No lines at all. What should I do from here? I am happy with the picture, but want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the player. Any input on this is appreciated.
Also, the blue progressive scan indicator turns completely off after about 10 seconds or so. If I use the remote to advance a track, it comes back on for about 5 seconds. Is this normal?

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to get some definitive settings for my machine as wel. To answer your question about the blue light. If you want it on all the time just go into the on screen menu for display and pick dim or bright opposed to "auto". As far as other picture settings go, the two guys i respect the most in regards to tweaking sy to use the "u" mode w/all settings at 0" (default). hope this helps. If any one else has additional reccomendations ,I'd love to hear them.

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Try out the 3D noise reduction. I like this at +1 or +2 depending on how noisy the DVD is. More then that and moving scenes start to show artifacts. I find that on some movies I still have to reduce the sharpness some. I generally decrease the "high sharpness" and "sharpness". You might also play with decreasing your TV's brightness a tad and increasing it on the DVD player. This seems to keep the letterbox bars darker.
Ryan
------------------

Dan A

Agent
As a new RP91 owner, I also have a question. This is my first DVD player--all I've watched so far on my Tosh tn50x81 is A Bugs Life. It was incredible---
Anyway, this is my first DVD and the motor upon loading and starting seems a little noisy, although once loaded and playing it was not a problem.
I was just wondering if this was normal.
I was a bit concerned because my box from ecost came a little damaged, which I noted to them, but the unit looks fine.

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
my disc tray is a little rocky popping out as well. I had no damage on the box as it was from a B&M. Probably just the build.

Well,I would expect these things to break down the road sometime. Panny,s have always been pretty cheesy on build quality. I'm not talking about the weight of the player, just the way they are put together. Thier vcr's are the same way. Very poor workmanship. Look at all the problems people had with with the A110's and A120's. Who I happen to be one of.
------------------
frown.gif

[Edited last by William Anthony on July 10, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
It is normal for there to be motor noise when starting up disks. The tray should feel very smooth though. It is one of the nicest trays I have seen in this price range. For the money I think the RP91 has excellent build quality.
Ryan
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks