What's new

OK, all you serious collectors out there... What should I keep? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Mainly I wanted genuine Alpha singles, me likes dem......plus where else can you get a lime green Alpha?

Mmmmmmm, pretty....;)

Although I see that Shop4tech has added some new items since I was there last, this...

...3 disc case looks handy.

Jay*W

Second Unit
The sound quality on the MPI version of "A Hard Day's Night" is far better than on the newer version (which used the original mono tracks to create a VERY swishy 5.1 soundtrack), and some also prefer the image and the Academy Ratio.

Jay

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator

Great suggestion... but it is all or nothing for me. I want the disc, box, cover art, inserts... everything. Truth be known, I even save the "director approved" or "special 3-disc set" stickers that were on the disc at the time of original purchase, if at all possible. Still, that is a great idea for most who aren't "off the rails" as I am. ;)

So far, I'm keeping:

Amadeus
Big Lebowski
A Hard Days Night
Dances w/ Wolves
The Thing
12 Monkeys (both DD & DTS)

Anything else...?

Thank you all for all the input... Any more info./ suggestions are much appreciated. - JackJD ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, not really. The MPI DVD used the simulated stereo track from the 1981 re-release, which was somewhat digitally noise reduced.

For the 5.1 Miramax mix, an original British print was found and the optical track was digitally cleaned, with much better fidelity than the '81 re-release track. The 5.1 track is basically "expanded mono". Paul Rutan, who restored the film (as seen on both DVD's), said it's fantastic.

As for the transfer, it's not bad, but Miramax's remaster completely blows it away. It's greenish discolored and the contrast is too high (detail lost in brighter parts of the image) and is too soft. The Miramax DVD looks virtually perfect... tons of fine detail, sharp, and the grain looks right.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ddaysnight.htm - see the last comparison to see how 1.66:1 correctly masks the image, as well as better contrast

At least when a remaster Help! comes out, they have the original mono soundtrack negative to use. This is why the fidelity on the MPI Help! DVD is miles above their AHDN.

As for extras... it has trailers for AHDN and Help!, as well as the Richard Lester interview attatched to an unwatchable print of The Running Jumping Standing Still Film. All of these are on the OOP Help! DVD, so I'd imagine Apple's re-issue would include these (hopefully including a remaster of Lester's short film, which is apparently being attatched to a R2 DVD of "The Peter Sellers Story")

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
You can get rid of the old Goodfellas DVD- a bare bones
flipper, and I've heard that it isn't anamorphic.

You may want to hold onto the original Sling Blade even
though it's a bare bones non-anamorphic DVD. The new
version has a director's cut and a good amount of extras,
but it doesn't include the theatrical cut of the film.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I made the mistake of selling off the original MPI version of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT a few years ago, in anticipation for the new Miramax version (which is overmatted IMO). There is a scene where Ringo goes into a store to trade in his clothing, and the sign reads:

WE
BUY
ANYTHING

But after the Miramax over-matting, the director's vision now reads:

BUY
ANYTHING

I would gladly take the original MPI disc off your hands, Jay, if you still have it and want to sell it. Just let me know (provided it's in good shape, of course). :)

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jack, one more thought... a lot of people have reported playback problems with some recent Universal DVDs. In particular, DVD-18's (there are numerous threads about this). You might want to make sure your newer Universal DVDs play properly before getting rid of the older versions.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I found a little time to sort through a few more discs and found a second small bunch of older/dupe discs. I’m looking for the same info. as the first round... You guys are terrific. Shall we begin? Good...

Evil Dead 2- 13131-05049; 1998; AB (I’ve the Tin Ltd. Ed. & Book of Dead II)

Labyrinth- 43396-43459; 1999; Col/Tri (I’ve the Superbit & Ltd. Box)

Dark Crystal- 43396-02849; 1999; Col/Tri (I’ve the Superbit & Ltd. Box)

Ghost Story- 14381-42282; 1997; Univ./Image

Hunt for Red Oct.- 97363-20207; 1998; Paramount (I’ve the Jack Ryan Box)

Splash- 17951-00161; 1999; Touchstone

Titanic- 97361-55224; 1998; Paramount

Maniac: Dir. Cut- 90594-19812; 1999; Elite (I’ve the AB Ltd. Ed. Tin)

The Breakfast Club- 25192-02102; 1998; Univ.

Shawshank Redemption- 53939-25832; 1999; (I’ve the Ltd. Coll. (recalled) Ed.)

To Kill a Mock.; Coll. Ed.- 25192-02522; 1998; Univ.

Trainspotting- 17951-00022; 1998; Miramax

Blue Velvet- 27616-80592; 2000; MGM

That’s the second lot. Any and all help is appreciated. -JackJD;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The new Breakfast Club disc doesn't include the original mono soundtrack; the old disc has either a French or Spanish track too which is probably hilarious.

This is never an issue for me- I keep EVERYTHING, but re-buy very few titles anyways.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator

As you can see, I rebuy quite a bit if there are improvements... I used to keep everything... which is how I ended up with 2700 DVDs(not including box sets) to begin with.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the same boat...not that I have 2700, but I used to buy a lot of blind buys and I find it hard to even part with the ones I hated. I guess that's the problem with labeling it as a "Collection" - Not that the numbers mean anything to me, but I see it as a whole and the thought of losing one, is hard for me. :D

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator

Mark, I understand completely...
I have a lot of movies that for various reasons, I will probably never watch again. But they are part of "the collection" and are kept for that reason only. I also feel that there may come a time when someone else may want to watch one of those DVDs that I may never watch again.

Anyone have info./advise on whether any DVDs on the second list are worth keeping for collecting purposes (alternate cut, aspect ratio, commentary/bonus features, etc.)?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The best advice, keep what you like and what you'd watch.

What good is having a certain title on your shelf if you are never going to watch it? Sell it off and buy another title you may watch.

Honestly, do you really care about having an alternate soundtrack or an anamorphic or non anamorphic transfer of a film you may never again watch in your lifetime?

Just think, with Blu Ray or HD DVD on the way, you may have to restart your collection anyway. Get rid of those mainstream ones you know will be first to release in the next format.

There are people who may want to watch those NOW, which is why they will buy them from you on places like Amazon or Ebay.

Jay*W

Second Unit

I wasn't taking a position on the framing, only pointing out that opinions differ. I do agree that the MPI B&W coloring was off, but the Miramax seems somewhat extreme in its contrast. The whites are almost blinding. I still prefer the Miramax framing and transfer, though. The music, on the other hand, leaves a ton to be desired. It's just a shame that couldn't also have included a faithfully reproduced mono soundtrack.

If you want to sell the MPI, take it over to the Steve Hoffman forums. You're likely to find an eager group of buyers.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks