What's new

Ohio kids found in cages (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Yes I would like to comment on the quotes Rob posted.
Yes he is correct in getting all of the facts before you fire up the torches, but you cant quote all good either

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
First of all my post about the muzzle and cage was a joke.
Second.

A pacifier can be removed by the child if it does not want it. Also a child will not take one if he doesnt want it, it is not forced into his mouth to stay untill the parent takes it out.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

In my opinion, what is ridiculous is that the writers and editors at CNN reduced a complex and serious issue down to a story ten sentences long (which doesn't fully cover one side of the issue, let alone both), full of loaded terminology, knowing that readers would react emotionally and jump to conclusions based upon their lazy journalism.

Jeff Standley,

I'm going to respond to your comments, but I want to make it clear that I'm not picking on you personally -- the mistake you're making is a common one, committed by folks from all walks of life, from heads of state to journalists to regular peons like you and me. :)

You are arguing a logical fallacy known as the false dichotomy -- making the assumption that the proper responses to a complex issue are reduced to two extremes, while ignoring the middle ground. According to your comments, either (1) the parents' behavior was completely acceptable (as demonstrated by your post that you would cage and muzzle your own child), or (2) the parents deserve to be taken out back and shot.

The fact that both comments were obviously sarcastic should tell you that the proper response probably lies somewhere in the middle between those two extremes. The children have all been taken away from the parents and placed with other foster homes, pending the outcome of a hearing (where both sides will have an opportunity to present their case), and the local prosecutors have yet to file any criminal charges against the parents, for abuse or cruelty, pending the outcome of their investigation.

From what I've read, on the links I quoted as well as others, this seems to be the proper response. Until more information becomes available, I'm reluctant to draw any further conclusions.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
You are absolutely right Rob. That the main reason why I retracted my original comment about shooting them, and decided to hear all the facts before we punish them. But im still cocked and loaded.;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, obviously my comparisons are going to sound lopsided when comparing them to most peoples kids.

Sure, a crib doesn't seem like such a big deal, but usually cribs are used for 'regular' children. In the case of this news story, harsher measures must have been taken to provide 'safety' - In other words, if you really think about it, putting a child in a crib or a playpen, IS pretty barbaric, but we don't mind because it's sufficent enough protection for the child. But when the needed safety level of the child is dramatically increased, more dramamtic measures usually need to be taken.

Now I'm not saying these "cages" are acceptable, but we really don't know if (under the circumstances) they are really the wrong thing to do.

Again, this is where the 'parents are going to be biased' comes into play. Relating the children, in the news story, to your own kids (or kids you know) is not the fair things to do in this case.

In other words, look at jail cells. We would find it absolutely horrid to lock anyone (innocent) in a jail cell, yet we have no problems putting criminals in there...why is that?

Would it be fair for me to say that we need to release all of the criminals? What if I said "I can't imagine my mom living like that, so we need to release all of the female inmates"? Wouldn't you agree that I shouldn't be comparing the way police treat criminals to them doing the same thing to my mom?

Hopefully my ramblings made some sense.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

They definitely do Mark, and I agree with most of your comments over the course of the topic. I think we are running back and forth over the line of to little/to much.
Which is going to happen. I agree that these kids definitely needed more attention than most from the sounds of it. But im still not convinced of the cages being right in any situation. But the big question still lies in front of us. What do you do to these children, who are a threat to themselves and others. What is too much and what is not enough?
If these people were doing this for the money and just locking up the kids so they wouldnt have to deal with them, then im sickened.
If they were seriously trying to protect them, I think they went about it the wrong way and Im a little less ditrubed. But still pissed.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If what was said about the psychiatrist telling them to do so, is true, I wonder then? Are they crazy to have followed the psychiatrists ideas?

I just can't even imagine having to deal with kids that are SO violent that a suggestion of putting them in cages, sounds like a great idea.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Some new information has become available. (Found on the site www.topix.net )

From Norwalk Reflector:

These children in Florida are clearly the victims of severe abuse. If someone were to suggest vigilante justice for these parents, I would not lose a wink of sleep. However, in my opinion, the situation in Wakeman Ohio is very different from this one.

Stay tuned for further updates...

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Rob, thanks for the update. Actually, I never read the orginal CNN article but instead read all the ones you've found and provided here. I just assumed everyone else were aware of the informations available. It was why I said all the things that I did.

Your update indicate that the situation wasn't as bad as it first appeared but I think we all agree that there are some inappropriate actions taken here. The parents might have thought it was for the best though.

Coincidentally, I saw on TLC last night about feral children, talking about all the different cases where children were locked up or lived with animals. This one is no where near that. The mother who with her weird husband locked up their child for 13 years. Many movies was made of the incident. The mother walked off free claiming that she was afraid of her husband :rolleyes. The husband committed suicide. I don't know if anyone else know about this famous case. I sure would like to go up to this lady and smack the brain cells out of her!

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

I saw that the other night too. I was very disturbed at the 13 year old girl locked in her room. The thing that got me was that the mother still had control over the daughter several years later. Keeping her away from the case workers that helped her so much.
These kids in Ohio dont sounds like they were near that type of abuse at all, but it is similar in other ways which is still to bad for these children.

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

Thats a good policy :angry: Kind of hard to complain when your locked in a cage!!! I don't think the parents are the only ones who should be investigated.

Are there any pictures of the "enclosures" floating around? anyone have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks