What's new

Oh No.. Star Trek 10 is now going to released 2 days after lord of the ring part 2!!! (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
That don't make no sense.

I personally like the current trend where studios are fairly respectful of each other's big guns and leave them alone for their weekend in the spotlight. It gives me a chance to see more films on opening night.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That would certainly be a less than intelligent choice by Paramount.
- Harry Potter will be in wide release and likely still on multiple screens.
- The Two Towers will have just opened and will be wide on multiple screens.
- There's sure to be a big Disney film in there somewhere, wide and probably on multiple screens.
So if there are even screens available for a wide release, it would certainly be lost in the stampede to those big three. And much of the fantasy/sci-fi audience will already be going to TTT, so it would seem rather odd to fight for the same audience. If they do, Trek will lose...big time. The Trek opening would be miniscule and most of what it did make would be only from those who are turned away from a sold-out TTT.
Paramount would be much better off either releasing in early November (pre-Potter) or waiting until mid-January. It's not like they need to be out by the end of 2002 for Oscar consideration. :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Paramount would be much better off either releasing in early November (pre-Potter) or waiting until mid-January.
No, January is after the big Christmas movie season. They want it out in that time frame for the money, not the Oscars.

The article states that it's being moved from its late November berth to avoid clashing with 3 other major movies including Bond 20.

So, going a few days after TTT has a better prospect of getting a higher screen count than against Bond 20, Confessions of Dangerous Mind and the next Hannibal Lecter Movie on the same day.

Personally I'd schedule it for the first weekend in December as lately Star Trek has been mostly about the first weekend grosses then dropping off sharply. After that it doesn't matter if TTT cuts it short. I'd be much more concerned with the picture never getting off the ground than being cut short.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Trek films of late have been averaging about $80 million or thereabouts. As good as Nemesis seems to be, it will be slaughtered by that particular competition. People have had their fill of Star Trek, but not those others.

Paramount: Do you have a deathwish?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd like to see Nemesis, but I'll see TTT about three times before I'll care to see anything else, ST included. Bad idea. Shows a misunderstanding of the market in a lot of respects. You can open a film against to a blockbuster {as proved by Notting Hill (EP I) and Phenomenon (ID4)}, but only if it's counter-programming. They are asking their audience to choose, and they'll likely regret it.

Take care,

Chuck

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Then again, Trek has an established fan base, an audience that will see every Trek film. It might not be a direct competition.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
There is another angle here:
the "the one I wanted to see is sold out,
what else is playing here?"
phenomenon.
Remember, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
supposedly earned a lot of revenue from people
trying to see another blockbuster (I forget which one),
but the "overflow" from that blockbuster trickled
into Honey...
And I do think that ST has a very loyal fan base,
and people will make an effort to see it, even
if it is just between screenings of Harry Potter
or The Two Towers.
The only really bad thing I
see with this release date is
from a marketing standpoint;
it will be buried.
Who is going to give it the cover a magazine
with the other two being released?
All those sci-fi and gaming magazines
are usually the places Trek films would
get on the cover...and I just don't see
that happeing for this one.
Mark

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Mark,
The "Honey..." overflow was from Batman in 1989. Maybe so...I think Star Trek deserves better than aftermarket, though:)
Take care,
Chuck

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Jack:

You ask if Paramount has a death wish? Perhaps they do--concerning Star Trek. Maybe they are looking for an excuse to put the franchise to bed, especially after the lackluster start of Enterprise. Positioning Nemesis to fail against some hefty sci-fi/fantasy competition would give them a good reason to do just that. Much to our dismay.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

As much as I don't really care that much for the series - Enterprise has been more successful week in and week out than Voyager ever was. I wouldn't call that lackluster.

Also, I'm pretty sure Paramount isn't looking to kill their biggest franchise. Not intentionally anyway. They'd have to be on crack.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Who cares about Enterprise? Voyager had Seven of Nine, in skin tight outfits. That puts Voyager way ahead of Enterprise in my book.:D
Just a little joke.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I think its time for mandatory drug testing for the marketing and executive staff.

I can't fathom the thinking behind this. Why not just place it up against Attack of the Clones and be done with it? The audience for Star Trek is largely the same for TTT, and the family vote that would normally help support them will still be in love with Harry, so all you have are the die hards.

They really should hold it until the new year. At least then there will be a big dearth of action and sci-fi/fantasy films and it would stand a decent chance. I just don't buy that the holiday season would have enough scraps to make this worthwhile.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
This is not good news for star trek fans..

why not? I could care less when it opens.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would think you should care because you would want a movie about your show to do well. I can't see this as being a positive entry in the Star Trek film franchise from a financial perspective, and will probably be used to proclaim the death of the franchise in many trade publications.

Still bizarre.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek film usually get a November release,I dont know why theyd want to change that.

But its going to be very tough to get into LOTR:TT so I guess I'll be seeing Star Trek first.

That may be a reason.People who went to see LOTR may pick ST:X as a option when theyre told LOTR:TT is sold out.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
This year is just crowded period. Very hard to find a good place to put this film given its schedule and audience. Still, that is probably one of the worse times it could be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks