What's new

Oh Deer! (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've been seeing a lot of deer at work lately. It must have been a good year for them. They come down from the hills and browse on the expensive landscaping.
Lately as I go to the parking lot after work, I see two or three does. I like to stop and watch them a while. No one else seems to find them of much interest, but I sure enjoy seeing them.
Even if they do make me really hungry :)
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Julie K

Screenwriter
Mulies.
A few years ago a buck almost ran into me as I was walking between buildings.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Homer: D'oh!
Marge: A deer!
Lisa: A female deer!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Even if they do make me really hungry
Yeah, deer is good. But it doesn't come close to elk meat. Mmmmmm, elk steaks.
And since I can't participate in the "Met the stars" thread, I'll put in my small claim to fame here. My first big game hunting excursion was for Mule Deer in Southeastern AZ back in 86. My Grandfather had a large cattle ranch back then, and this is where we did most of our hunting (deer, javelina, quail, etc.). On our first day, we were joined by several people, including a neighbor, who at the time was an artist on the cusp of becoming extremely popular. Well, he was there to see the deer I tagged that day. It was big, with a very unusual rack. We spent a lot of time with them that weekend, and actually saw the trailer he used for his painting and bronzing. At the end of the weekend, he asked me if I would give him permission to use the deer in a trilogy (mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, mountain lion) of wildlife paintings. I said "Yes," thinking nothing of it.
Well, Tim Cox is now an enormously popular painter, and its cool as hell having a copy of the painting hanging next to the real thing (not to mention seeing it in shopping mall art galleries). It's hard to tell in this small copy, but the left side (the deer's left) actually has a horn that points towards the ground, and the right side has strange nodes toward the top of the spikes.
P.S. I'm sure few people besides Julie will give a rats ass, but I thought I'd share anyway. Hell, Julie may not give a shit either...
Blue River Muley
blue_river.jpg

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
elk is pretty ok.
I can't stand (and don't eat) deer, or antelope. Moose and caribou are pretty much not cool. Sheep is good, mountain goat we won't even discuss that experience (it was OK in stew but it still took some chewing to get down)
we used to donate antelope and make all the deer into jerky.

Julie K

Screenwriter
quote:
and its cool as hell having a copy of the painting hanging next to the real thing (not to mention seeing it in shopping mall art galleries).
[/quote]
Hey, that is cool!
I've had venison, buffalo, wild pig, elk, caribou, moose, and various antelope (but not pronghorn) and have enjoyed them all. I love quail too. I just wish southern California wasn't such a terrible a place to try to hunt in. (Or I wish I could get a permit at work
wink.gif
)
------------------
My DVDs
[Edited last by Julie K on November 09, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
time for some archery lessons?
Heh heh. I somehow don't think they'd let me even if I used a bow.
I did see a nice 4 point buck on the edge of the parking lot, again nibbling the expensive landscaping. All I can do is drool - kind of like cats chattering at birds outside the house :)
------------------
My DVDs

DennisHP

Second Unit
I just had some blacktail backstrap for dinner last night! If you're interested, check out www.blacktailcountry.com Lots of this years successful hunter/huntresses. My bro and I are both in there with our dinners, er, I mean, deer.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
kind of like cats chattering at birds outside the house
Uh oh. Here we go with the cats again.
wink.gif

Pretty cool though that you can look out your office window and see grazing mule deer. I get a busy intersection. TF
[Edited last by Trey Fletcher on November 09, 2001 at 05:08 PM]

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Speaking of cats, has anyone ever eaten Mountain Lion?
My friend hunts Mountain Lions and everything else in Montana. One day I was at his house and he asked me if I wanted an Elk Burger, I said sure.
So I ate it, and thought it didn't taste like Elk at all, so I told him it tastes a little different, he say's I spiced it up a little.
He didn't tell me until I ate the whole burger that it was a Mountain Lion Burger! That SOB!
It sounds gross but it really wasn't bad.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Personally I find the taste of deer to be slightly gamey. The few times that my in-laws have given us some (they hunt up in Montana) we have to hide the meat in a sauce of some kind because it tastes so wild. Even then I don't eat very much of it. I've had deer jerky though and I love that.
I like duck. I'm allergic to rabbit (break out in itchy hives), but love the way it tastes. I've never had any of the other game meats though. Anybody ever tried dog? Mmmm. Yummy! I've heard that black dog is the best (yes the color of the fur makes a difference). The time I've tried it though it wasn't black. More of a black and white mix.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Bill, it just seems wrong to eat a Dog!!
eek.gif

and cats for that matter! :)
Even in Montana!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 09, 2001 at 05:23 PM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I see tons of deer, whether hiking or biking. The weirdest deer are those that are in Harriman State Park in upstate NY. They don't bother to even run when they see you as there's no hunting there and they aren't conditioned to fear us. I always see a deer or two (whitetails) when I ride my bike through there, or of course, out hiking.
I even see deer when I bike to the other plant. There's a golf course between the two plants and sometimes in the morning if I have to go to the other plant, I take a short cut through the golf course when nobody's playing (nowadays) and I will runinto packs of 4-10 deer. Strange is that it is pretty developed area with some major highways around, including Route 80.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Users who are viewing this thread