What's new

*** Official ZODIAC Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
I finally saw ZODIAC last night, and I still cannot stop thinking about it. I have to see it a few more times, but right now I have to say that this is the best Fincher film I've yet seen.

I was completely caught up in the investigation right along with the characters. Not since JFK have I seen an investigative film that made you feel like you were part of the process.

While watching it, I felt like the film it most reminded me of was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". The all consuming obsession that Graysmith had with the Zodiac was very much like Roy Neary's obsession with Devils Tower. The toll it took on their work and family life, almost driving them mad, however the only closure Graysmith got was one knowing wordless exchange.

The recreation of the late 60's, 70's was just jaw dropping. The attention to detail in clothing, hairstyles, setting, were second to none. This is what the period looked like when you see old news footage and such. No stupid period references or cliche disco clothes and distracting hairstyles, it just felt like you were there. The visual effects in recreating the San Francisco of the time was like nothing I've ever seen. I loved the overhead tracking shot of the cab through the Streets of SF, including the excavated area where the Transamerica Pyramid will eventually be.

The other thing I loved was Fincher's music choices. Again he avoided the easy 70's soundtrack, and instead filled it with the type of songs you would have actually heard on the radio or in diners or bars. Songs like "(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden" or "Easy to Be Hard" by Three Dog Night. Plus he used Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man", which always creeps the hell out of me, especially it's use in the end airport scene. Chills.

Nick C.

Second Unit
Artistic clout only takes you...not very far, since it's not worth any $$$ ;). That's why he's had a 4+ year break after Panic Room. The clout a great director/auteur maintains usually comes in the form of A-list actors wanting to work with him, propelling a project to the front of the studio's greenlight queue. Fincher got to make a 2.5-3 hr procedural with no ending because he signed a two picture deal to do Curious Case of Benjamin Button with Pitt and Blanchett immediately after ($75m for Zodiac, $150-200m for Button).

Anyone familiar with the case know anything more about Bob Vaughn or Rick Marshall? That creepy basement scene piqued my interest!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Panic Room Fincher's biggest film in terms of box office? If that's the case, then you can't argue that it caused Fincher to take a four year break.

Also, Fincher's films do make money, eventually. Almost all of his movies have become cult favorites (and The Game is getting there), which is why he has such clout within the industry (along with the fact that big-name talents love to work with him).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Se7en made $100m, while Panic Room topped out at $95m. I don't know why Fincher had such a long hiatus, but I'm sure it wasn't because he couldn't get studio backing. As has been noted, his flicks may not shine at the BO, but they bring in the DVD bucks - I'm sure he can pretty much write his own ticket...

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Caught this film again over the weekend, really enjoyed it a second time through. Describing it as JFK meets the woefully underrated Summer of Sam may not be far off.

The HD cinematography was also beautifually presented - the composition and lighting of the taxi-driver murder scene was very effective. I really believe people will be talking about this movie as one of the best crime dramas of the decade in a few years.

Mike.P

Second Unit
This was the shortest 2 hour 40 minute film I've ever seen.

Seriously, another hour could have been thrown in if it were of the same quality, and I would have been glued with my eyes wide open.

Hurdy Gurdy Man will not stop playing in my brain.

Easily the best film I've seen this year (only because I count Children of Men as a 2006 release), and that is just masterful directing.

I love David Fincher.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Seriously, another hour could have been thrown in if it were of the same quality, and I would have been glued with my eyes wide open."

:emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night, it was quite well made. The CSI-ness of the procedurals were absorbing. Being a native of the Bay Area, it was interesting to see the recreation of the area during the late 60's. Plus the sequence with Jim Dunbar and Melvin Belli was fun as they were local celebraties. What amused me was during the commerical break as they were on the air, Dunbar mentions how great Belli's appearance on Star Trek was. Being the Trek fan, I thought that was a nice touch.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I have to complement the detail of the Bay Area of that era. For those of us who lived here then, this movie is like a time capsule. From the A.M. San Francisco set right down to the ads on the car radio, "Matthew's Stereo, 6400 Mission Street, top of the hill, Daly City."

This movie brought back a lot of memories in the little touches. Not to mention remembering how we all discussed the Zodiac at my grammar school and used him to scare each other. Good times...

Rob

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Saw this yesterday and loved it. Thought the gradually shifting composition styles (starting from medium long to long shots in the 60s to the close ups in the late 70's portions, this would be impossible to do with Super 35 and I applaud Fincher's decision to go with the Thomson Viper Filmstream for this) and visual look (including the anachronisitic and beat up looking studio logos and I'm pretty sure the piracy marks as well). Fincher's best and most mature film to date.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Just watched the dvd and must say this is one of the best films I've seen in years. I lived in the northern California area where much of the film takes place in the mid to late sixties and it's captured perfectly. The attention to detail in capturing time and place is spot-on. I could almost smell the Pinole refinery where Leigh was interviewed.

That being said, the car used to abduct the woman with the baby (the woman driving a '57 Chevy wagon) was a 1966 Chevy Impala coupe (I drove a '65 Impala in high school), the car in front of the house with the creepy basement is an early 60's Studebaker Hawk coupe. The gold 63 Corvair coupe in the beginning of the film morphed into a 4 door sedan in some of the car interior shots, but the engine sounds for the car were absolutely correct--I've owned a couple of early 60s Corvairs over the years, and also learned to drive in a VW Karmann Ghia similar to the one in the daylight murder.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

Basically it comes down to the fact that Fincher is a stickler for detail. For instance, in the Cinefex article about the film, it says Fincher found that he could not shoot at the actual Washington and Cherry location for the murder of the cabbie. The area had changed so much that even if they dressed every curb and building and replaced every sign, the actual structures were no longer the same. He found it much easier to just shoot on a sound stage and recreate the location down to the man-hole covers with CGI. There are many more CGI touch-ups all through the film (much more than shown in that reel).

The CGI blood is another way of control. He didn't want to wait to clean the actors and for the FX guys to set up the squibs after every take (of which there were many), so he shot the murders "clean", then added blood later.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Very nice. Makes you wonder why they had to do all that!"

I really like those shots, adds lots of atmosphere. Something too many director ignore nowadays.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thread resurrection:

A film critic named Blake Howard has been running a 24(!) part podcast on Zodiac. It's not some creepy true crime fan thing but an intelligent look at the movie by a number of interesting and knowledgeable critics and some folks involved with the production.

I'm only a few episodes in but so far, it's an excellent look at an even better movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
24 + hours on the Zodiac movie in addition to what looks like a handful of extra eps to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks