What's new

***Official Zelda:The Wind Waker - Your thoughts here... Thread*** (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm pretty sure Diamond Steppe Island is located at A6 (It's been a little while since I last played). As usual, on the map, Letters go across and Numbers down.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Gotcha. I never paid that much attention to the light. I usually bring up the map with the Y to see where I am in relationship to the X. Then when I get close, I listen for that sound that is played when you are over treasure.

Yes, Diamond Steppe is the island where you use the new grapplehook.

I'm very glad to see that I'm not the only one who gets to play only now and then. I'm currently in Hyrule struggling with the room with the (for the lack of a better word) gondolas. I've gotten on the first one and jumped off onto a platform that moves up and down. I can't seem to get to the next gondola. I've tried aiming my grapplehooks but can't seem to find anything to connect to. Something overhead looks possible but no luck.

As it typical for me, I get to the end of the game and just get bored because there's a point I just can't get past. Not that it's hard but because there's some technique I'm missing and it just isn't worth struggling.

Good luck to you!
- kim

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Kim, what X do you speak of?

And where do you find this X? I just find the square using Tinkle's map.

I have gotten the chart and deicphered it from Diamond Steppe Island yet I did not find the pirate ship map.

Thanks

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I am in need of a hint regarding octopusses:

I found and fought the Octopus who revealed the fairy for magic extension. However, my partner came across a larger octopus with more targets on it. I don't know where this is or what I'll get for fighting it, but I've been trying to find it. What square is it in?

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Bert,

Did you get onto Diamond Steppe island? You get the chart for the pirate ship there. Once you have it and night falls, the current location of the pirate ship shows up on the big map (press up arrow). You can't land on the pirate ship without that chart.

As for the X's, open the map using the up arrow then press Y to access your charts. Cycle through your charts (you may need to press either L or R) until you find the one for the island you are interested in. You will see an X marking the location of the treasure. If you and King are within close range, you will see your present location shown as a yellow triangle.

Does that help? Am I too specific or not specific enough? I'm not at home so I might not be correct on the details. I'll edit later if that's the case.

John,

As for Octopi, they seem to live near the reefs. So if you are near "Two Eye Reef", you will find the two-eyed octopus. If you are near "Six Eye Reef", you will find the six-eyed octopus. Sail around the square until you see a whirlpool.

Hope that helps,
- kim

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'm just about finished with this Zelda game, after about a month of on and off playing. Got it on release day, didn't have time to start it untill May. I tell you, I just don't know how people can pick up and play the later levels in this game without a walkthrough. There's just so many darned mini sidequests to complete, it would be next to impossible to get very far.

Either that, or I'm just not that smart a 3D gameplayer :). Heh, I read somewhere that Nintendo realizes that gamers get confused with complicated 3D games, and is thinking about more basic platformers that people can pop in and enjoy.

Hopefully that's the case, but with a walkthrough handy, these games are a complete blast to play :). And the Shell shaded system is GREAT to look at with nice smooth animation.

Now I just have to get Metroid Prime after finishing Fuzion in about a week, and Zelda in about a month :).

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Okay, so after getting the game on release day, I finished it this weekend. I lack about 10 heart pieces, but I think I managed to find just about everything else. Here's my thoughts (keep in mind that OoT is my favorite game of all time):

I liked this game a lot. 2 big, big knocks, though. The first is that the game was far too easy. Despite what Neil said above, I did not use a FAQ or cheat one time (despite several hour long, pissed off gaming sessions that accomplished nothing, only to find that I missed a switch somewhere obvious). I play the Zeldas very s..l..o..w to enjoy the entire game and I love to explore the worlds.

The second knock is the lack of dungeons. OoT had many more dungeons that were much more challenging. I breezed through the WW dungeons in no time and felt cheated by the ease of the bosses. I never came even close to dying one time in the game and thought that the overall level of difficulty could have been much higher.

I read somewhere that Nintendo realizes that gamers get confused with complicated 3D games, and is thinking about more basic platformers that people can pop in and enjoy.
I really hope this is not the case. Dumbing down a AAA franchise is bad news all the way around.

But, in the end, WW is a fantastic game that I spent 40+ hours playing. I love the exploration aspect and was only disappointed in the level of difficulty. The graphics, story, and gamepley were perfect.

My only suggestions (aside from difficulty) would be the additon of a notebook or some device that you could record notes on. Keeping track of 49 islands is awfully tough and a page per square would be nice to have.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
I second the notebook. I have my own notebook that I maintain, and at this point I am thinking of actually drawing my own map, and organizing my notes according to the map.

As long as I am here, I have to ask this question. Where the hell are these friggin sages with the musical instruments. I don't remember ever talking to someone with a music instrument. I have done a really good job with the side quests - everything has been obvious to me for the most part. But the sages have me stumped. I have no idea. So I am just sailing around the map, visiting places I've never been before, hoping that I'll find these musical sages. But I know it has to be someone I've met before, because nothing else in the game has ever required random exploration like this.

So could you drop me a hint? You don't have to tell me outright.

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad everyone is having a easy time with this game except for me. I'm on the final boss but can't beat him. I make it past his first and second wave of attacks and I know what I have to do to take him down but I just can't do it. Any hints or tips?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
RE: Final Boss

I had the same problem. I only hit him with the damned light arrows about 5 times out of 50. I had to move in front of him, with Zelda behind him, and hoped I timed it right so it would hit.

It was only out of Sheer luck, no skill on my own, that I managed to perform the final move needed to kill him after 3 dies worth of trying.

BTW, only time I died throughout the entire game. In that sense, it really was too easy.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, IMHO, the only real tough Zelda battles where the first and second games. Took me forever to beat thoshe two before the days of walkthrough. About 2 years each :).

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Oddly, me loving Zelda, I never finished the game.

I know I will finish it by the time the next [cel-shaded] Zelda drops for Cube in 2004, but is the ending satisfying enough for me to pick up where I left up and collect the few pieces I have left of the Triforce and continue ASAP?

-Bert

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was pretty happy with the end. I really enjoyed the final boss fight, although it wasn't terribly difficult, it was fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks