What's new

*** Official "X-BOX" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From what I have read, Halo is good but gets monotonous because all you do is kill people for missions. Does it really get monotonous, no matter how fun?

Joe michaels

Second Unit
"Forgive me if this has already been answered: But,
Does the XBOX support Progressive Scan DVD playback?
Thanks in advance"
Nope, sorry.
-----------------------------------
Link Removed
It's the best Jerry, The Best!

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Nope, sorry."
Well - thanks for your help Joe.
The reason I asked is because I keep reading conflictiong reports/specs on the XBOX. Even on IGN.com ?
Oh well, maybe I won't purchase it after all. Or Maybe I still will purchase....ahhh......
blush.gif

------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed
[Edited last by Michael D. Bunting on November 15, 2001 at 04:15 PM]

James St

Supporting Actor
OMG, this has been a crazy day. I bought MSG2 yesterday, an X-Box with Halo today, and my Amazon buy 2 get the third free order came in today as well. I'm up to my neck in great games and I haven't eaten or slept in 30 hours. I think I'll change my birthday from the 22nd to the 15th. :)

John Williams

Auditioning
Hey!
From what I understand, the Monster 200/300/400x Xbox A/V cables have a 1/8" jack that their TOSLINK dongle and cable attach to, correct?
For those of us who don't have TOSLINK connections -- could this 1/8" plug be hot-wired with an RCA adapter to provide a standard coax digital signal?
Anyone want to make a run to The Shack to give it a whirl, and let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
From what I have read, Halo is good but gets monotonous because all you do is kill people for missions. Does it really get monotonous, no matter how fun?

And this came from WHICH PS2 fanboy?
Halo is NOT like any other FPS you've ever played. I'm sure the demo in-store has level 2 which in fact IS just shooting aliens, but it's much more than that. MUCH more.
If FPS's got "monotonous", then why are there THOUSANDS of people playing UT and Q3A every second of every day? Different kinds of games, but Halo's difference is that there's a real STORY and MISSIONS.
Mike

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Morgan,
Halo is not monotonous in any way. Yes it is an FPS. If you like that type of game you will fall in love with Halo. Now if you just hate FPS's than I say still give Halo a shot cause there is nothing like riding around in one of those Warthogs kicking the crap out of aliens.
I have to find the HD pack just for the 5.1. I am dying to here this game in full 5.1 glory! Quick question for you guys in the know...What kind of connection does the HD pack use for 5.1? RF or toslink?
PS. This is really bad. 400 on an X-box today. Metal Gear Solid 2 yesterday and another 250 bucks for the Gamecube in but 2 days. I think I'm going to declare bankruptcy!

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
Snuck out of work and stopped at five stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, CC and Meijer) around 2:00. All of the stores had already sold out their supply of the XBox. CC was the latest to sell out at around 1:00 PM. Target had two large signs posted at the front entrance that said "XBox is Sold Out". Best Buy had a huge stack of Rain Checks filled out by that time. None of the stores were 100% sure when the next shipment of the units would be in.

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
For games that are 16:9 enhanced, can you play in widescreen mode, AND 480i? Meaning is an "anamorphic" widescreen picture sent over the composite and/or s-video outputs, as well as the HD component outputs?
My TV is widescreen, but NOT HD-ready (480i only) It would be cool to be able to play games in full widescreen glory, even if it's not HD.
I know there's a letterbox mode also... don't really care about that, because "zooming" a letterbox picture to fit my 16:9 screen decreases resolution too much.
frown.gif

Thanks for the info...
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I don't mean to beat a dead horse...but I just returned from looking at various XBOX accessories at a few stores (DVD Kit w/ remote) and right smack dab on the package it says that this is needed to allow PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD playback on the XBOX along with an HDTV ready display (which I'm getting real soon).
???? I'm confused...if it doesn't support PROGRESSIVE SCAN capability - why would official Microsoft accessories state otherwise? Doesn't make much sense to me I guess.
Thanks for any help...
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
quote: why would official Microsoft accessories state otherwise? [/quote]
The boxes were printed up back when it was going to be supported. This was before we were told to turn it off or else.
[Edited last by StaceyS on November 15, 2001 at 08:08 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I thought this thread was created for Xbox owners to share their impressions, and that the thread was not for bashing.
But like a leopard, a fanboy cannot change its spots.
If everything you play is so much better, why not shut the hell up and leave us alone?
Ah, because the game you play is 'getting attention'.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
quote: ???? I'm confused...if it doesn't support PROGRESSIVE SCAN capability - why would official Microsoft accessories state otherwise? Doesn't make much sense to me I guess.
[/quote]
It was a last minute change due to licensing problems.
I am SO glad I preordered my Xbox, there was a crowd of at least 60 people waiting outside Future Shop this morning when I got there.
eek.gif

Impressions of the hardware:
It feels like $300 worth of hardware when you pick it up. The minor details like the plastic wrapping on the console are a nice touch. DD adds SO much more to the game, outstanding bass and sound movement. My GCN sounds good, but because I can only use DPL with it, there’s no contest here...Xbox owns this department hands down. With DPLII I'm sure it would be a closer match. I can't wait to play SH2 in full DD
eek.gif

Games I have so far and what I think of them (once I have a chance to play them longer I'll write up something a bit more detailed):
Oddworld:
FANTASTIC game! I simply can't stop playing this game :) I have to pause pretty often because I am laughing too damn hard to keep playing. I really liked the original games of this line, but this one is so much better. Oddworld was meant to be 3D. The only complaint I have so far is that some of the levels are really dark.
Project Gotham Racing:
This game looks amazing. The kudos are much better, the control is very easy to pickup and its possible to actually stay on the road in a turn. If power sliding is your style, your going to absolutely love this game. I like the variety in the tracks so far. It ranges from really tight narrow alleys to nice wide smooth curves. This game is everything that I hoped it would be, I am very pleased that I picked it up.
Halo:
To truly experience this game I feel you have to read the book before starting the game. I have such a connection with John (Master Chief) that I was hopelessly sucked in to the role. This game is an experience, not just entertainment. I can't help but take my time and "smell the roses" when advancing through this gorgeous game. Controls are well set up but definitely take a while to get use to. This game is so worth the effort of going through the learning curve of the controls. I think that Halo keeps getting better the farther you go.
Fusion Frenzy:
If you have a first party game be sure to try this game out in the demo games section. My god is this game addictive! I had no idea how much I would enjoy this game. If you plan on having your friends over to play any time soon this is an absolute MUST HAVE! Fusion Frenzy is one of those games that just “clicks” with you.
Ok I have spent WAY too much time away from playing...I'll see you guys again soon when I come back up for air.
BEST...WEEK...EVER!!!!!!
Dean
Edit: I forgot to mention that all 4 of these games are 480P and DD.
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on November 15, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
StaceyS
Thanks for the reply - I have been very busy this past year (moved from Turkey to Biloxi, MS and since to Tacoma, WA in the past 8 months) and I didn't really have much time to keep up with all XBOX hoopla I guess
laugh.gif

Thanks for your reply - still looks like a great piece of equipment - I was just hoping for more (PS capability).
Best Regards
------------------
Link Removed
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Dean,
I am absolutely with you concerning SH2 in 5.1!!!! This was one of my main reasons for finally deciding to purchase the X-box (along with the added 4-6 hour Maria game)

James Nguyen

Second Unit
The boxes were printed up back when it was going to be supported. This was before we were told to turn it off or else.
Stacey, given that you live in Redmond and the fact that you say "we" in your post, i take it that you're an MS employee and somehow involved with the xbox? So what's your role in building the machine that has officially given me a good reason to never sleep again for the next few months? :)
beautiful campus up in redmond, was there for a couple weeks last month since MS sponsored my dev team to work w/ the .Net team up there for a bit...pretty place :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
quote: ???? I'm confused...if it doesn't support PROGRESSIVE SCAN capability - why would official Microsoft accessories state otherwise? Doesn't make much sense to me I guess.[/quote]
Doesn't suprise me in the least that they would lie to the consumer. It seems to be the company motto. Gates did it again today claiming the Gamecube was the same as XBox's $299 on CNN.
The progressive scan was pulled over two months ago and yet they didn't have the time to fix it or even attach a correction sticker???
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/000308.html
[Edited last by Joseph S on November 15, 2001 at 09:33 PM]

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly how much hard drive space do we get? Some of the games, and the lone soundtrack I've created, take up a significant number of blocks, but so far none have made a dent in the 50,000 blocks I thought the end user was limited to.
I have a feeling I'll need to choose the music that I rip carefully, as the songs I've choosen to rip to the drive do take awhile, although to be fair, the song lengths have been between 6 to 8 minutes.
And the system does have a full screen virtual light show. Nothing too spectacular, but it will suffice for playback purposes.
Now, I'm finally ready to give HALO my undivided attention.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
No where on the box does it say the XBOX is progressive scan, or in the manual. This has been known for months and specifically confirmed last week. Also on that CNN report Gates did not say that the XBOX costs the same as Gamecube.
Nor does the remote package state ANYTHING
about progressive scan.
--------------------------------
$299 for a new game system
$49 for games
A website that updates news every 15 minutes.........
Priceless
For everything else there's Link Removed
[Edited last by Joe michaels on November 15, 2001 at 10:10 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks