What's new

***Official World Series Thread***: Diamondbacks vs. Yankees - your pick? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Trey,
A very good, rational post. Even though I'm rooting hard for the Yankees I would not be shocked if AZ takes them to the limit or even upsets them since good pitching is a commodity that is important in the series. And your reasoning is, in my opinion very sound and, although we are rooting for different results, a breath of fresh air in what is usually an area that brings forth outrageous claims from fair weather fans. Well written!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

It all depends if the D'backs can overcome the "awe" factor. True, they are mostly veterans, but most of them will be new to the yearly appearance in the WS. This might play a role in the outcome.
May the best team emerge victorious. (As a 4th generation Phoenecian will you be going to the BOB? I catch several games each spring at Tucson Electric Park)
And Joseph S, I would respectfully request that you refrain from making excuses before the fact. Your "conspiracy theories" regarding how everything goes the Yankees' way is, quite frankly, a little tiresome at this point and is the kind of thing that people resort to when they don't have anything substantial to say. We've heard it all before and it is laughable at best. You can't explain away 38 pennants and 26 world series as being "rigged" or something similar by the umps, the phases of the moon, or worse.
laugh.gif

In other words, if you don't have anything to say, say it.
Let the games (not the excuses) begin.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
they don't have anything substantial
On the contrary, I have the evidence on my side and even the commissioner and umpires have admitted to that.
The calls in the Balt, Red Sox, Oak, and Sea series always go for the Yankees. Prove to me that Jeffery Maier didn't interfere in '96, Knoblauch caught the ball in the 10th of game 1 '99, Knoblauch tagged Offerman in Game 4, Nomar was out in Game 4. I'm sorry but you can't. Again, Soriano CS in game 3 yet safe, El Duque's throw that brought Soriano flying off the bag in game 3 yet an out. Furthermore you can't tell me that everytime John Olerud or another Mariner checked his swing it was a strike and everytime a Yankee checked his swing it was a ball. It's a fact that the calls always go the other way and if you don't see that you're blind. If there was instant replay in baseball you know that those calls don't go your way. Why do you say Posada was safe at second but Giambi out at home? There is no evidence of a tag on either play yet you use your "Yankee Vision" to see Giambi tagged and Posada slide away safe.
Maybe it's tiresome to you, because you don't want to admit that your team is getting a free ride on every single close call.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Umm yeah, okay. Wonder what Oliver Stone has to say about the umps and the Yankees? :)
BTW, I'm picking the Yankees in 6.
- Walter.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
- he admitted to not seeing the play at all
He also said "Knobby told me he tagged him so I called him out."
Please provide the grassy knoll vids. I would love to see where this isn't the case. Perhaps Jefferey Maier had a "hat cam" to show he didn't lean over and snatch the ball away from the field of play in '96. The fact is replays continue to prove otherwise, yet the umpires continue to make the call in favor of the Yankees in every close situation.
We have umpires making the wrong decisions, a "puppet" Commissioner admitting to the truth replayed before his eyes, managers calling for umpires to collaborate with others who had better views of the play. Yet the same crap continues. Ump makes bad call and the 1st, 3rd, RF, LF, and Home Plate umpires did nothing to correct it. Jimy pleaded with Selig and the umpiring crew after Game 1's disasterous call in the 10th for them to collaborate when the ump admits he didn't get a look or a good look at the play. They said they would, but they refused to do so when it was required of them days later.
You see in picture #2 what happened later in that same series. The first base ump played deaf and dumb in spite of evidence right in front of his eyes contrary to the call being made by the 2nd base umpire.
Call it a conspiracy if you wish, I call it deliberate inaction and bias.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Give me the D'backs in 5. BOB is a very nice ballpark. Saw the Braves vs. the D'backs there a few years ago. Final score was 2-1 Braves but what made it interesting was a homer was hit into the pool in the outfield. Nice!
wink.gif

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Joseph S,
You obviously have a great passion (some might call it "obsession") for this "Selig Baseball Conspiracy" theory. If you are really serious about this (and I really think your efforts are really just the results of being a disgruntled fan) you would expend your energies in trying to get the rules changed.
Specifically, there is no instant replay in baseball as there is, in a fashion, in the NFL. If you believe strongly enough in this you would be trying your damnest to get the rules changed instead of whining and bitching like a spoiled brat.
Your "arguments" are very, very transparent. You hate the Yankees and instead of acknowledging their remarkable achievements as the most dominant professional organization in the history of Baseball you attempt to downgrade all this by accusing others of cheating to help them.
What ridiculous tripe! It has been shown over and over again that umps are human (without the advantage of technological hindsight) and, more often than not, replays show that they were right, not wrong. You can choose to show 10 or 20 pictures representing obvious errors in judgment, but you neglect to acknowledge the fact that there are literally millions of images, either recorded or happening in real time, where the refs were shown to be correct. And, dispite your rantings, not everything goes the Yankees' way.
I feel it's time for you to take your portfolio of "conspiracy pictures" and silently leave the ball park. Your childish and totally unrealistic, biased behavior is seen through by many people here and you are quickly becoming a laughing stock.
You've made your point and now you are severely eroding your position by your continuing actions.
I respectfully suggest you get a life and channel your energies into something productive, not destructive.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Mark Tomlin

Agent
Being a D-Backs season ticket-holder, I have to go with the home team. However, would I bet hard-earned cash against the Yankees? Not a chance. In a seven-game series the best team ALWAYS wins. Time will tell.
------------------

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I respectfully suggest you get a life and channel your energies into something productive, not destructive.
Robert,
I find your reponses in both this and the previous thread to myself and others members offending and childish. You make it quite apparent that you have not actually read the responses in full or at all. You post a response filled with the same drivel as your previous post with hardly a logical connection to the one to which you are responding.
I never stated baseball needed instant replay and believe it should never be put in place. I did state that they should collaborate to make the decision when the umpire had no clear view of the play. In both instances pictured, at least 3 other umpires had a better view and choose to do nothing to correct the situation. This doesn't occur in any other professional sport. By not attempting to correct the most eggregious of errors they demonstrate either a bias or ineptitude. Since you and myself both believe they are right more than they're wrong, obviously you must also rule it a bias in deciding on a play you did not see and a bias of the others in remaining silent while knowing the call should be corrected.
Apparently, you hate Seattle and the Cubs for having both better regular season winning percentages and totals so you have decided to make up your own rules. Why not include the spring training games as well?? With 3 tiers of playoffs and an entire spring maybe you can out do the record of the Cubs. Recompile the numbers as you please, but they'll always have an asterisk because the rules have changed and the Cubs record winning percentage will likely stand for a long time to come.
There is nothing destructive in presenting the issues as they are. Just like many of the heads of Blockbuster and Best Buy do so with the issue of OAR, you choose to ignore and sidestep the facts of the present situation in MLB be it the lack of control by the commissioner over the umpiring situation and the financial ruin of the league and francises.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Good point, Patrick. Will do!
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
If Selig can fix it for the Yanks to win because of the ratings, then why doesn’t he fix it so they don’t win in four games? Nothing is as boring as a four game sweep and as bad for the ratings. Well, Seattle and Arizona in the WS would have been a ratings disaster, but… If the Yankees wanted to demoralize a team, then a six game series would do it.
Games one and two won by the Yanks in AZ.
Game three won by the D’backs in NY
Game four by NY, now up 3-1
Game five the D’backs struggle back and give unwarranted hope that they can pull it off.
Game six Yanks bitch slap the D’backs with an early lead and then win 6-2.
A six game series would be criticized because of some sloppy plays and decisions and it would look like the Yanks were starting to show their age.
So, Yanks in 6 as above.
The D’backs have some impressive pitching, but so do the Yanks. The Unit has never proven himself in postseason play till this year. For some reason a lot of great pitchers have struggled in post season. Maddux and Johnson of note.
Does the best team always win? The 60 Yanks and the 69 Orioles would argue otherwise. Maybe some other teams that have won a lot and lost, 06 Cubs, 54 Indians and the 01 Mariners and A’s would argue against the best team.
In a short series any team can win. NY has too much experience and poise and will drive the D’backs nuts like they did in the recent playoffs.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
D-backs take game one in a blow out. Blow out or squeaker though, it's all the same, 1-0 in games.
Schilling was too tough. All they got off of him was a little "excuse me" double which scored a run. It's too bad it wasn't Clemens on the hill getting beaten tonight. I felt bad for the moose, who I've always sort of liked.
I have a hard time believing the Yankee bats will be dormant two nights in a row though. Tomorrow will be a better pitched game, balance wise. Pettite is a pretty cool customer this time of year and, unlike Schilling, Randy Johnson has never pitched in the World Series. I have a nagging suspicion the boys in pin stripes will capitalize at least a bit on his nervousness. Of course, being up a game does tend to calm one's nerves a bit I'd imagine.
------------------
Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...4, 3 2 to go!

MikeM

Screenwriter
OK, OK, I originally posted that the Yanks would sweep. So now, I know for a FACT that it will be the Yanks in FIVE. It will be. It's a fact. There's no bones about it. Again, why do the D-Backs even show up? What's the point. The Yanks have it in the bag. The Yanks will win in five five five.
P.S. Still doing my best to to uttery jinx the Yanks!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Screw 'em!!!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

RicP

Screenwriter
A big tip of the hat to the Diamondbacks for an impressive showing last night!! Schilling was in the groove, sadly Mussina was not. But if there's any consolation to take away for Yankees fans...Moose only threw 3 innings so he could be available for a game 4 if the Yanks need him.
Game 2 should be a doozy, let's see if RJ can keep up his recent post season domination. :)
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
the Flames in 7... right??
Oh... are we not talking hockey?
If I have to choose, it would be Arizona in 7.
Baseball in a horribly boring game, and playing HTF fantasy baseball this year only made it slightly less horrible. I'll just be happier when it's over.
------------------
McPaul.
ICQ McPaul 121412168
[email protected]
"Would you like an extra large McPaul to go with that shake?"
McPaul is Canadian.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Diamondbacks do indeed hold. 4-0 and they lead the series 2-0. Maybe there will be a sweep...
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Did anyone notice that sign someone was holding up before the game? "It'll take more than 9 Yanks to beat our Johnson."
Anyway, this reminds me of the '96 series so far. The scores are similar as I recall. Let's hope history repeats itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks