What's new

*** Official Warner Chat and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I strongly recommend, that they should allow Qs in turn of first in line to show up, if technically possible. It's almost like a press conference. If you arrive late, get in line!

Give out numbers, and then ask in turn. Give 30 seconds to ask, then next!

Parker - please list the limitations of the chat ie. no spaces between names - nowhere have I seen that mentioned. The ONLY name I use online is Yumbo. Call me slow for not questioning why people have no spaces or underscores between names, but a simple "Do not use nicknames, and you cannot use spaces between your real names" would be courteous to those of us sitting here for 3 hours taking time our of our workday to participate.

The throwing of Qs was simply RUDE, end of story. And why those people weren't kicked is also inconsistent with said guidelines.

We should be in the extras for Shrek - pick me!

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Relax. If someone had found the original cut, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it. I'm sure they mean elements to produce a good disc of the release cut.

If I see Ambersons and the 1936 version of Showboat in HD DVD, I will die a happy man.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I missed the chat but I am happy with what is announced, especially more Forbidden Hollywood films and sets devoted to John Garfield, Natalie Wood and the Andy Hardy films. I gather by reading this thread no mention was made of the restoration of An American In Paris? I vaguely recall it being mentioned it was due in 2007.

Corey

Screenwriter

Somebody asked about Eleanor and Jane Powell sets, but they only addressed Eleanor. :frowning:

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
was there any mention of ida lupino or olivia de havilland sets?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Corey

Screenwriter

well i was going to ask about an olivia de havilland set, but since i was passed over, it wasn't possible.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Wow, thank you Warner and HTF! This was a fantastic glimpse at upcoming releases, even if it's sometimes hard to accept that full restorations and quality extras can't happen without great time and expense. Hey, it looks like Warner alone will be making 2008 a year to remember. And the rest of 2007 doesn't look to bad, either.... Hamlet in 1080p? I can live with that.

I'm almost rabidly excited about many of the films mentioned here. HD Kubrick? Long missing Orson Welles masterpieces? I feel like dancing on the walls and ceiling ala Fred Astaire... which is something else I can now look forward to seeing in a non-public domain transfer!

I understand that a certain amount of frustration and disappointment will inevitably accompany a 250 person internet chat, but let's show some appreciation for the amazing amount of information that was shared, and the people who endured a lot of headaches to make it possible.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Cool about the 1969 Goodbye, Mr. Chips coming. Too bad it's next year. I'm sure it'll be worth it. Thank you Mr. Feltenstein!

Any word on a re-mastered Outland?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Balances... information vs. purpose.

My first reaction was that of "It's only about classics". Why don't they call it the Warner Classic Movies chat?

Given what it was...those of us who are totally UNFAMILIAR with the majority of titles mentioned would remain uninterested, as opposed to an informed press release, where one can be exposed to the history of said titles, and understand the demand for them.

I as a video store buyer and promoter (of many classics and now HD, that NO ONE else here will carry) like to stay informed.

Sure, chats are hard to control, but they can be improved if feedback is accepted.

Balance (and purpose) is required. All I'm looking forward to are the press releases hinted at.

And for what it's worth, I don't get excited about SD anymore, period. After seeing the poor quality of The Departed SD (not to mention For Your Consideration), it's obvious where the focus is now.

And it was nice to know finally when HEAT is due.

Only thing on my Warner SE/HD wishlist remains to be THE POWER OF ONE (4x3 2.0), and any P&S releases.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Bummer, I forgot about the chat. Glad to hear that the new release of The Man Who Would Be King is still on, and it's also great to know that widescreen Chevy Chase film releases are planned.

I had wanted to ask if there was a chance of a new release of Ladyhawke, had I been there.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Was there any mention of the Arthur (1981) new anamorphic dvd still coming?
It was mentioned at the 2006 WHV chat on HTF.
I couldn 't get in , but I wish someone would ask about
AGATHA (1979) with Dustin Hoffman, one of Michael Apted's early films.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

Goodbye Mr Chips - last year they said it was coming in 2007 - I guess that's why they don't to give release dates - things change

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Glad to hear about BREWSTER MCCLOUD, AMBERSONS and the DARK SHADOWS movies!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Boy, not a lot of love for silents this time around. Other than Greed, Chaney 2 (which we already knew about) and a maybe-sort of on The Wind and The Big Parade. I thought I felt a cold chill when the TCM line turned out Laurel & Hardy and not a silent title. I guess no one asked (or was allowed to ask) about what happened to the 1922 version of Prisoner of Zenda - supposedly a "go" at the last chat?
I'm happy about the early sound releases (who ever thought we'd see an Eleanor Powell box for Chrissakes!) but Warner's silent output is down to a trickle...

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena
I'm very pleasantly surprised to hear about the ELEANOR POWELL set, and that Warner's decided to rescue ROYAL WEDDING. :) Also dying to know which other MGM Musicals they're referring to...

I don't mind waiting for the MACDONALD/EDDY movies to be restored - I'm just thrilled they're coming, 'cause I wasn't sure they ever would. A bit sad that the silents, SHOW BOAT, and JOHN GARFIELD have been delayed...I was looking forward to those coming soon. But I'll deal. :)

I am disappointed that nobody asked what's holding up the Jean Harlow set... and has everyone forgotten the William Powell/Myrna Loy collection that was promised due to the huge success of The Thin Man box? :frowning:

Corey - Too bad you couldn't get in...you and I have such similar taste, I was hoping you'd be able to put in a good word for our favorite female stars... Jane Powell (not a good sign she was asked about and ignored :frowning:), June Allyson, Olivia de Havilland, Barbara Stanwyck (nobody asked about her?! Really?), etc.

I guess we'll just have to keep posting our brilliant suggestions in the What Warner DVD Sets Would YOU Like To See thread, and hope they're reading it. ;)

How wonderful that Warner's listened to requests for a larger FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD pre-code collection! So those will be 6 films from now on, instead of 3? Awesome. :D Probably in slimcases then, instead of overlapping in a digipack...also awesome!

I hope all the TORCHY BLANE fans find out they need to buy the NANCY DREW DVDs! Lucky for me, I want both. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I thank the HTF and WHV for this chat. It is great that WHV cares enough about their fans to dedicate time to answering questions on forthcoming classics.

Sadly, none of mine were this time........

I will drop one of the mods an e-mail to find out how to contact WHV directly to find out about the Harlow, Loy/Powell & Esther Williams boxsets. I am getting frustrated that we've been hearing about the mythical Harlow set for nearly 3 years to no avail. Perhaps WHV is waiting for her centennial in 2011? I don't understand how titles that were due late last year weren't followed up on in this chat. I am a member of a Jean Harlow fan club, and two of her family members in Kansas City have been asking me about this as well.

If push comes to shove, I'll likely place the responsibility on the family to contact WHV themselves to find out what's up with this.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
My friend asked about Moonfleet, Drumbeat, Silver Chalice and King Richard & the Crusaders. They are not currently under consideration for release. However they said around June they are going to release an adventure & epics set of some description, but couldn't mention specific titles at this stage.

Moonfleet is coming out next year if that is any consolation.

Corey

Screenwriter

I'm still excited about some of the news though, especially that Eleanor Powell set and knowing that we're going to get in 07 is great news. The Forbidden Hollywood news is great, too. Lets not get out hopes up for the slim cases, because it might me still in a digipack with overlapping discs. :frowning: But to know it'll be 6 in every set is superb. I can't hardly contain myself. I can't wait to this HUGE musical promo is announced. Imagine if it's a Classic Musical Set with 10 films?? :D Until then, I guess I'll just keep posting in above thread you mentioned, Serena. Warner's obviously was reading the the thread if they pointed out that Jeanette MacDonald/Nelso Eddy mistake.

Corey

Screenwriter

I think they should have these stars extended family more involved in these sets. Casey LaLonde, who is Joan Crawford's grandson was totally in the dark about Joan Crawford Volume 2 and was just as curious to know when it was being released and what titles were to be included as we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks