What's new

*** Official VAN HELSING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I think we are all going to have to have this attitude if anything is to change in Hollywood. Last year was terrible and it seems like this one is only going to get worse.

Neil

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, we've seen far too many posts from people along the lines of "hey, all I want or expect to do at the movies is to turn off my brain and enjoy the popcorn", and for them, this will be a great movie.

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I didn't want to see Van Helsing since the Rotten
Tomatoes composite score was 20% (although Ebert gave
it thumbs up) but I told friends at work I would go
anyway. It was f**king terrible. About the only good
thing about it is that it looked great as far as the
sets and costumes etc... But there is no story, no
character development, bad attempts at humor... It
was mostly just loud collection of absurd CG action
sequences. It was also too long.

I really enjoyed "The Mummy" (the first one) which Stephen Sommers also did, especially for its humor. Van Helsing doesn't even come close.

It is true they spent $150 million on this pile of crap?

George

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film felt like a 9 year old wrote it, but had a huge budget to work with to put that vision on the screen.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Damn, it looks like Aaron Garman and I will have to have our own "Van Helsing Appreciation Society" because *I* liked it too! My husband and I weren't really expecting much, knowing that it had gotten terrible reviews, but I had to see it. Wolverine, The Duke and Faramir in the same movie? I was so there. And we liked it! A Lot!

We're quite a few decades older than 9 years old, but we were giggling and oohing and aahing at all the cool stuff, laughing at the (to us) very funny jokes, and being creeped out by Dracula and his Brides (we sure thought they were effective). We went to the matinee show (full price was out of the question, Ebert's 3 stars or not), and really did expect an experience so grim we'd have to watch Dogville or something to cheer us up. WE HAD FUN! Yeah, it's no Eternal Sunshine or Kill Bill, but it is what it was, and we had a ball. We'd see it again too.

I guess I'll have to turn in my film buff credentials, but I don't care.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe "Faromir" had time to get a quickie in while the world was going to hell in a hand basket.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Vickie_M,

My 19 year old son and I just got back from VH and I agree with you...We loved it for what it was. My son has no history with the old versions of the Universal monsters, and is familiar with the vampires and werewolves of Underworld and Blade. It was just a big, loud action-packed cross between Batman, James Bond and LXG. The audience we saw it with (packed house in a great theater) laughed, clapped and gasped at all the right moments. My son is ready to take his friends to see it...so I guess he's the target audience. Me -- I'm buying it on DVD, no doubt.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Well, before that trip, he didn't get out much (yes, we laughed at the line "I'm not a field man"), and since he thought he was soon to be a late friar, I can't blame him for wanting some nooky.

I'm not going to read any of the bad reviews. It can't change how much fun we had, and they'll only make me feel bad. This movie is and will continue to be torn to pieces, but I'm glad we didn't let the jaded cynics keep us from seeing it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Oh good!

I do have a history with the monsters. I grew up watching and loving them on Creature Feature, and I own the original Classic Monsters box set (still the most expensive home theater software item we've bought. I think it was $169.00) and though they'll never be replaced, I liked how the monsters were portrayed in VH. Especially Frankenstein's monster. I loved that they made him a good guy. I can overlook the swinging from a rope thing. :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It sucked.

:star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:

I grew up with the Universal films, and movies like BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN are what made me a film buff. Unfortunately, this bastardization has none of the charm of the old films. The later Universal films like HOUSE OF DRACULA are masterworks next to this.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The first part of this film kicked a lot of ass. Right up until the first vampire was killed. After that, it was all downhill.

There were many awesome parts in the film, and parts where I could see Sommers doing an amazing movie at some point in his career, but not now. For every part I loved, there were ten that I hated.

One thing I do have to give the movie though, is that the soundtrack to this film KICKED ASS! Within the first two minutes of the film, my friends and I were looking at each other and whispered "The Soundtrack of DOOM!" Just an awesome soundtrack wasted on such a poor excuse for a movie. I think we shall see Saturdays numbers fall drastically from fridays, as word of mouth on this wont be good. At least I hope.

Oh yeah, and Hugh was cool as always. That was another good part.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I agree 100 percent with you Neil! specially about the raiders statement. raiders is a ***** classic compared to this *****.
even B&R was better then this ****
JACOB

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I just got back from it and personally enjoyed it. I thought the opening was fun, even reminded me of an old Universal Horror film I've seen clips of. (and no I have never actually seen a classic Universal Monster movie.)

I don't at all understand why it's being bashed so much. This is the kind of movie you expect to just be "Fun." It's not serious. This isn't the kind of movie I goto expecting oscar nominated acting ya know? I went in expecting a fun action movie and I got it. I actually liked the storyline. I like when they twist around old ideas and characters. Silly I know, but it's just me.

Two parts though near the end gave me flashes of Return of the Jedi: Igor falling to his death totally made me think of the emperor. And Anna being creamated was Darth Vader all the way! :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Well, that's just a little unfair, Vick.

If you had walked out of VH not liking the movie, would we be "jaded cynics" then? An honest, negative opinion does not make someone a jaded cynic.

I'm glad you liked the movie, and (as always) I respect your opinion. I just think you took a cheap shot at the rest of us because you dug the flick more than we did. :frowning:

;)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The movie was entertaining, but certainly not fabulous. I swear, there were so many people swinging on ropes/chains/cables that I expected Tarzan to make an appearance. David Wenham was the best part of the movie, and it's sad when a plucky comic relief companion is the best part.

I want to see Hell Boy vs. Van Helsing. Van Helsing is apparently the left hand of God, and Hell Boy has the Right Hand of Doom. Could be an interesting show down. Hey, if they can make Alien Vs. Predator, then why not this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks