What's new

*** Official VALKYRIE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Saw this one last night. I haven't been paying much attention to the reviews but I understand they're mixed. Personally, I thought this was an excellent film in every regard.

Having written a thorough research paper on von Stauffenberg for my senior year of college I'll admit, Tom Cruise seemed like a very odd choice for this particular lead. His iconography doesn't seem to allow for a seamless blend into a historical piece such as this.

But my doubts were alleviated almost instantly as Cruise allows us to feel every drop of disillusionment in von Stauffenberg's psyche. It's in his demeanor, his inflections and in his dialogue. Cruise pulls it off masterfully.

What really makes this film, though, is Bryan Singer's masterful approach. It's like a two hour suspense setpiece seemingly constructed around the old Hitchcockian adage about showing the audience the bomb under the table. Valkyrie movies at a very fast pace, tightening its noose around its audience so that, even if we're prepared for the ending, we're still hoping for a different outcome.

Singer's talent has been obvious for a long while now, but his recent film is one of the most suspenseful I've seen in many years.

Sure this might now be Oscar material, but who cares. It's excellent filmmaking. Exciting, suspenseful and haunting.

My hat is off to the entire cast and crew for a job very well done. Valkyrie is one film I'll be picking up on Blu-ray as soon as it's released.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I just got back from seeing "Valkyrie". I was one of those that was apprehensive about this movie, especially the casting of Tom Cruise. After a few minutes of seeing him on the screen, I forgot I was watching Tom Cruise. The supporting cast was stellar.

The July bomb plot has always been of interest to me so I was pleased that the important historical details were nailed down pretty accurately. Watching "Valkyrie" was like watching "The Day of the Jackal", I knew how the assassination plot would end, but the ride to get there still kept me at the edge of my seat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Valkyrie". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I was also hesitant about seeing this one due to mixed reviews, but WOW, what an incredible story!!! By far, the best movie I've seen this year!:emoji_thumbsup: Screw rottentomatoes!! Great directing, acting, story, suspense, action--I really have nothing bad to say. I look forward to getting this one on Blu-ray.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was a little bored by this film (sure, it didn't help knowing the outcome) especially in the first half, but I think it's a combination of so-so directing, and a script that isn't that interesting. The pacing of the film also felt abrupt at times, and the sprawling size of the cast did little to provide a good enough hook for me to fully engage my attention given the stakes of the operation that would unfold in the film. The script just isn't strong enough to elicit a lot of suspense from me.

See it at a matinee if you're a WWII history buff.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it. I don't care for Tom Cruise's personal life, but I'm able to ignore that and enjoy the movie. He did a great job.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
9.5/10

A great historical suspense thriller. Even though you know the outcome, the film is still suspenseful. Bryan Singer is simply one of my favorite directors working today.

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
Enjoyed it from start to finish!! The Wagner record shot!!! WOW This is great filmmaking. Can"t wait for the Bluray.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm with Chris here....this is a well done film by Bryan Singer. I do have a few gripes though. Some of the accents don't quite work for me but I was able to get past it early. But we have American & British speaking generals in the German Army? Maybe I need to refresh my WWII history.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I think it took awhile for it to hook me in but it did.

Cruise remains one of the best actors around that just seems to make you believe.

8.5/10.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
That was my biggest concern going into this -- no german accents. I forgot about it 3 minutes in -- just plain good storytelling. A well performed and directed thriller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks