What's new

*** Official "UNFAITHFUL" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Eric.

In the scene leading up to that, where Richard Gere's character is drinking, my wife & the women in the audience around us all seemed to think he'd had his drink 'spiked'. Anyone else pick up on that? I didn't - I just thought he was drunk & sick with the realisation of what his wife was upto.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I just thought he was drunk & sick with the realisation of what his wife was upto.
I agree, and I think the point was that the alcohol went straight to his head and affected him more than usual because he was already quite unsteady from emotional turmoil. It was yet another exquisitely detailed moment in a film where every gesture and shift of expression tells you something about the inner life of these characters (except, of course, for Martinez, whose character needs to remain "mysterious").

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
How can an actor who attempts to convey every conceivable emotion by quickly blinking his eyes maintain a career for 25 years?
I actually think he had this under control in "Unfaithful"! ;) (It still reminds me of that hilarious impersonation of him by David Duchovny on "SNL".)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Did anybody else think

that when Edward left the body at the garbage dump, it was going to be covered by mounds and mounds of garbage and never found? Then, Connie somehow finds out what he had done, and her dilemma would be -- does she turn her husband in to the police, or let him get away with it and keep her "happy home"?

I liked the movie a lot, but I thought the above could have also been an intriguing concept.

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
This is my favourite film of the year so far. We're going again this weekend. I loved that ending. So different of Hollywood to respect the audience these days.

Anyone else here think Diane Lane is just the GREAT.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Possibly the best movie I have seen so far this year. Had this been released in the fall it would have been a guarantied nomination for Diane Lane (and perhaps the movie). How many actresses could have pulled off that scene in the train when she is remembering, with that mix of lust and guilt?
BTW, is this gonna be a great year or what? When is the last time you saw this many good movies before Memorial Day? Changing Lanes, Unfaithful, Frailty etc... and so far two excellent blockbusters... and many others on the way. Its good to be alive :D
--
Holadem

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
$30 million after ten days

Well "Unfaithful" has now grossed $30 million in ten days! While not the same amount as a "SpiderMan" and "Star Wars", I think this is a cool amount for a film like "Unfaithful".

I still can't stop thinking about how great this film was.

Diane Lane should definately be A-list after this! I went into Blockbuster on Thursday to rent a DVD and they had a whole Diane Lane section with all her older films inc. "The Perfect Storm", "The Cotton Club", "Streets Of Fire", "Hardball" and "The Glass House" on display for rental.

You know you've made it big when that happens. I'm thrilled for her, and I'm interested to see what she follows it up with.

"Unfaithful" is still my fave of the year so far!

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Regarding the ending:

I love how they kept it open for interpretation. On one hand, you have them talking about continuing their lives in Mexico. On the other, the movie faded with them parked on the street next to a police station. What do you think they did? I'm thinking he turned himself in.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was quite clear that he was doing what you suggested, Greg. I loved the ending.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Do you think she would have broken it off if the french dude hadn't "cheated"?
Regarding the ending, almost everybody was cursing and quickly left the room when the credits started rolling. I hate to sound pretentious, but what the heck is wrong with people? You would think they would have learnt to appreciate open endings by now :rolleyes:
--
Holadem

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Re: the ending.

I'm not so sure he'd turn himself in. As much of a straight arrow as the Gere character may be, he also prizes loyalty -- and loyalty to his family could easily dictate that he keep quiet because turning himself in would devastate his daughter. That final shot can be taken to mean that, whatever they do and wherever they go, this will always be hanging over them. And their conversation about Mexico is their acknowledgement that their lives can never be the same again.

M.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Diane Lane should definately be A-list after this! I went into Blockbuster on Thursday to rent a DVD and they had a whole Diane Lane section with all her older films inc. "The Perfect Storm", "The Cotton Club", "Streets Of Fire", "Hardball" and "The Glass House" on display for rental.

You know you've made it big when that happens. I'm thrilled for her, and I'm interested to see what she follows it up with.

That's wonderful! I've followed her since "A Little Romance" and love her work! I hope "Unfaithful"'s success gives her many more options.

I hope they do a great DVD.

Did you see the Diane Lane article in May 24th Entertainment Weekly. She sounds like such a great lady un-ruined by Hollywood.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I just caught the UK release, and I've got extremely mixed feelings about this one. There were some strong performances, but Adrian Lyne's stlye is really annoying. I don't think it fits this particular material very well. There were also a few key scenes towards the end, particularly the scene with Gere standing in the doorway, that IMO were directed terribly. It really ruined the flow and dramatic arc of the film. Also, while I thought the final shot was quite effective, the lead up to it felt very flat, as if they ran out of ideas about where to take the story. Overall, it was an average movie-going experience.

Also, rather bizarrely, I'm convinced that the UK release was heavily cut. First and foremost, there was no "alleyway" scene. Also, a few of the sex scenes seemed very badly paced. I have no idea why they might choose to edit the film. It was certified '15'. Perhaps they thought that decided to try and boost box-office by avoiding an '18' cert.?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
"UNFAITHFUL" has now made $50.6 million in the U.S. and is apparently doing great business overseas as well. In the UK it's made nearly $3 million in 10 days and is at No.2. (Which was where it reached in the domestic chart here).
I'm thrilled this film found a big audience.
Here is a link to the "UNFAITHFUL" DVD thread. Let Fox know that you want a two-disc set, supplements, DTS etc etc...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=70022
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks