What's new

*** Official UNDERWORLD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i was quiet impressed that this film cost only ~22 mill to make. yeah it was filmed in the poorer european countries, but still, that's quite impressive.

regarding the sequels, it was inevitable. they'll probably try to release it around the same time next year, during the slow season. while Underworld wasn't great, i have less expectations for the sequels. nothing from the first one really made me think there was any potential storytelling-wise for a better sequel. still, if it's as good as the first it'll be worth a look. at least i won't lose any sleep waiting.

Howie A

Second Unit
I saw it today and I enjoyed the movie. The one thing I did feel that could have used an overhaul so to speak was the Soundtrack or Score of the film.

Many parts of this movie were just begging for tracks from say NIN, Marilyn Manson or Evanescence. I think there was some tracks from the Perfect Circle which is fitting. But overall that is what stood out the most (for me anyway).

I never thought that Soundtrack or Score would be something I would be worried about in a film but after recently rewatching my Crow dvd I guess I was hoping for this movie to be treated to a great dark soundtrack as well.
I guess a fitting Soundtrack such as the one in the Crow only comes around every so often.

Did anyone else feel the same way about this movies soundtrack?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I saw it Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked pretty much everything about it. Very dark and evil type of feel to it. Great October movie. I'll be watching this every year arounf Halloween time. I thought it had the right amount of everything. Horror,action,story,style and one very attractive Kate Beckinsale!I really like the movie Blade and this is a lot better than Blade.
Did anyone else feel the same way about this movies soundtrack?
Yeah,I wouldn't have minded a little NIN or Manson, but I liked it the way it was.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
(Admin note - quoted from the Underworld Review thread)

Sorry, but when a film is so utterly boring, you tend to notice these absurdities.
Yeah, when all you've been up to lately is "Luke Vs. Aragorn: Let's Discuss" threads, you probably would have time to pin down all those absurdities. :)
I loved the movie, and we even have similar taste

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
:p)

Well, my problem with Underworld is that they didn't try - the movie really seems like nothing but assembly-line movie-making. They had a cool concept but were content to let it ride on its Matrix-esque visuals as if that would be enough. Now take Resident Evil, a movie I do enjoy. While watching it, I get the impression the filmmakers were trying to make the best of it. They were making a film based on a video game - a dubious source. The film also borrowed heavily from other zombie films. Still, they made a snappy little movie that was fun but didn't condescend to the material.

It's a shame Underworld didn't work for me as I really wanted to like it.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I'm in love with Kate Beckinsale, but God this movie sucked! I can't believe I threw away $17.31 on this cr*p. I will be selling a once-viewed DVD in the software section if anyone is interested.

What a lousy movie. My biggest gripe is that corny generic sound effect that was used over and over. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Real Name
Anthony
I'm sorry - I don't like to be negative - but I've got to let off steam.

UNDERWORLD sucks nut.

This is a truly awful film, that I think may become a classic howler (if you pardon the pun).

I'm sorry but the only way Kate Beckinsale could be dangerous is if she poisoned the cucumber sandwiches at a
garden party. She does, admittedly, have a nice arse ; it's just a pity the film's so dark you can't see it.

The breathtaking unoriginality of the film is beyond belief.
I just rented it on DVD and I'm struggling to get to the end of it. And, believe me, I have watched some utter s**t in my time.

The two things that will stay with me ? The black guy with the voice SO deep that it almost sounds effeminate. And the priceless moment when Bill Nighy is brought out of his centuries long sleep. His first words ?

" WHAT'S - THAT - RUCKUS ? "

I think only Michael Sheen could hate this movie more than me.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Anthony Neilson wrote (post #69):
"Raze", the "Lycan" enforcer, played by Kevin Gerioux, (the co-writer of the film)? If so, that's two strikes against him in your book.

The film wasn't that bad, in my opinion, but, as I said just from viewing the ad campaigns, action set-pieces do not in themselves add up to a movie.

Real Name
Anthony
That's the guy ! And guess what - he's on the commentary !

But listen, looking back at that post, I do feel it was a bit vicious. Nobody sets out to make a bad movie and they DID at least try to think up a story. It's just very badly told, and very badly cast. But its biggest crime is its visual style, which is so derivative it leaves the film looking starved of ideas. That's the Director's fault and no-one else's.

Funnily enough, I watched DREAMCATCHER straight afterwards and quite enjoyed it. So is DREAMCATCHER better than they say, or does it just look good next to UNDERWORLD ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks