What's new

***Official TPM Audio thread (Lasderdisc comparison, Volume probs, charts, etc) (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There is a noticeable improvement in sound if you listen to your movies at reference level compared to 10 or even 20 db down.
Like I said before even at the Laserdisc 10 db below reference and the Dvd 8-9 db above the differences are still huge. This is on more than one system too so It's not just mine.
[Edited last by Shane Martin on October 14, 2001 at 10:12 PM]

Gruson

Second Unit
I too used a SPL meter when comparing.
Even if I make the DVD louder than the LD, it is still missing something. I am not just talking about the LD's LFE channel being louder either.
The overall sound quality is just better and more alive on the LD in my opinion.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree that the overall volume is low (except the bass, which is also much more dynamic than the rest of the spectrum).
--
Holadem

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>I was playing Saving Private Ryan at 285 dB, and it sounds more dynamic than when I play it at 85 dB.
ROFLMAO!!
This more than anything else sums up my thoughts. God, just re-reading the above quote has me laughing again.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, ignorant peon stepping in.......
I've noticed more than a few people mention that the LD was a direct port of the theatrical printmaster. Now, IMHO, the levels of bass required to fill a massive 500 seat theater, and a much smaller 2 seat HT are going to be drastically different. It's very possible that the LFE of the theatrical track was beefed up to reach these levels, and then transferred over to HT, where such a massive volume boost was not needed, but retained anyway? Isn't it then possible that the new DVD has a redone mix that was near field mastered for a HT space? People should be judging the DVD to a well done theatrical experience. I remember what mine was like (how could I not, considering I almost had a heart attack), and will judge the DVD according to that.
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I'd add my opinion to the mix...
I don't own the LD but I have seen it (and heard it) a few times at a friends place.
In my opinion, the difference between the LD and the DVD audio track is that the LD is simply LOUD, whereas the DVD has a truly amazing mix. For my money I much prefer the DVD mix, the ambience and the surrounds in it are beautiful. They are so well done that you don't even notice them.
It seems to me that since most of us here are very much into HT, we tend to be biased and want things louder than anything possible.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Myself and a few others had the opportunity to A/B the DVD with LD at Widescreen Reviews holophonic reference theatre during the meet out in L.A. a couple of weeks ago.
We only checked the podrace sequence.
None of us could notice any difference except the overall volume level. The LD is mixed insanely high.
------------------
My movies
HTF AFI Top 100 Challenge: 71 70 69 68 films remaining.
Next Up: The Sound of Music
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

DanR

Supporting Actor
Jim_C,
Glad I could give you a laugh.
biggrin.gif

Some of the discussion in this thread itself is also very comical, especially the misconceptions and blaming of dialnorm.
Regards,
Dan

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I have never heard the LD but if the DVD is to quite for you why not just turn the volume up?
rolleyes.gif
And Lucas Release a DTS version!
biggrin.gif
In my opinion Louder doesn't always mean Better!

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I've never heard the LD, but I know this is probably the best-sounding DVD I've ever heard. The bass is monstrous, but not overbearing. It only jumps out and knocks on your chest when the mix delegates, as opposed to a continuous rumble. Everything is clearly defined in every speaker, panning left and right, back and forth with blaster shots and lightsaber swings. I am nothing but completely satisfied with this soundtrack.
-Tom

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
while i have no specific complaints with the overall audio (i have never heard the LD), I must say that when compared to the DD 5.1 audio tracks for dvd's like U-571, it's nowhere NEAR as enveloping. The mix just doesn't draw you in as much as U-571 did (and i'm listening to DD, not DTS.
So while i have no direct complaints, to me it's apparent that this can't be the "best" DVD audio track ever as some of the initial reviews stated.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Well, I think those of you that prefer widescreen over pan and scan are being a tad hypocritacal. you like widescreen because it's the directors intent. Yet, prefer the laserdisc version over DVD version of TPM Let me explain... George Lucas personally oversaw the DVD sound transfer this time around, so that is the "DIRECTORS INTENT" those of you "home theater lobyists" should ONLY watch the DVD if the mix was THE DIRECTORS INTENT. You are so quick to diss on the people who like fullscreen over widescreen, but when it comes to sound, you would rather have "deeper bass" over the directors intent. Hmmmm...sounds a tad fishy to me.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I watched Episode 1 today and I thought the soundtrack was like it was when i saw it in 3 different theaters when it was out. Most of the movie in the theater was low as well, but the pod race and the Duel of the Fates action was awesome and it so on the DVD as well. Like someone said Since lucasfilm did the movie thats how he thinks it should be, and to me its a good soundtrack.
Capt

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The dynamic range of the DVD has been dramatically reduced. This is so it can fit into an Alpha case. If it had the same dynamic range as the LaserDisc (which, of course, came in much larger slipcases) it wouldn't fit and the case would keep popping open.
I suggest we start a petition demanding larger Alpha/Amaray cases to allow more dynamic range on DVDs (and don't even get me started on snappers).
Adam
[Edited last by Adam Barratt on October 15, 2001 at 10:00 PM]

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
If I watchhe LD once, I watched it a hundred times. This DVD just kicks serious Darth Maul ass. The two sound different, but I think we're getting into the vinyl vs. CD "warmth" issue here. That's all I'll say - if I never listen to the LD again, I won't miss it.
Mike
Denon 5800
Def. Tech. Speakers

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Can't wait to do the comparison. Some real interesting opinions here.
I'll be picking up a copy tommorrow first thing in the morning.
Bring it On! :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

Users who are viewing this thread