What's new

*** Official THE WEDDING CRASHERS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
:star::star::star:1/2 out of four.

The end product is much better than the quite humorous script. This is an excellent comedy, nice to see the R rating used for nudity as well as language, it's unfortunate the film stumbles in the third act before making a nice recovery.

Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn had me howling throughout the film, however I missed the running gag of everyone calling Sack 'a tool'. It's nice to see Jeffrey and Gloria's relationship expanded and explained (it was originally a surprise), on the other hand it's a shame that
John's (Owen Wilson) character is given to crashing weddings himself, and while the concept of Will Ferrell's cameo as Chaz the original crasher is rather funny and works alright it also kind of kills the movie with the crashing funerals concept. The very tight script and comedy wanders a great deal after Jeffrey fails to crash the engagement party (and a smart move to drop the extraneous and pointless sequence where he and Vaughn actually sort of trash said engagement party and are thrown out by the secret service). It's capped off with a good ending though, but it's a shame that all the momentum of the comedy and character arc for John is lost/abandoned for about ten minutes there.

I think what may have worked better would have been for John to have actually succeeded in telling the truth and explaining who they were to Clair, this would tighten the conflict down and be the first step in John winning her, and it would make her final lines make more sense, although she may be repulsed by his lying and the concept of what a juvenile ass he is, she's also somewhat attracted to the audacity and joi d' vive of it.

On the other hand, I gotta respect that they didn't insist that just cause these couples are hitched or almost hitched that they've got to be reformed, normality is certainly NOT restored by the ending and that's one of the best things about the film.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks