What's new

*** Official "THE TIME MACHINE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jack, sadly I'm starting to agree with you as well.

To me it looks to be restructured in much the same way Planet of the Apes was, turning it into "a man comes to save a people from their oppressors".

The CGI might just be the marketing spin, but the final act stuff is what is really bothering me. That seems to be the most CGI-laden, action oriented, cliche driven section.

Or they are really mis-marketing it.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I saw it last weekend at a trade screening and those of you expecting a simple remake of the first film will be disappointed. It's very much a different film. Infact the only common aspects are the Time Machine, and the Eloi and Morlocks.

After I saw it I thought back to the original and couldn't remember most of what I saw in the original.

Having said that the effects are pretty nice and the production values are pretty high.

Full review to come in the next couple days.

Mark

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I for one am just dying to see this FILM:D !
Ever since I saw the teaser before 'Jurassic Park III' i've been anxious to see it. Then I saw the HBO First Look on it, and it peaked my interests even more. I believe that Guy Pierce is an outstanding choice to play the scientist, and having H.G. Welles' great grandson directing keeps it in the family.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I think I'd rather see Jonathan Frakes' Clockstoppers, which seems to have taken some of the effects of The Matrix to new levels (maybe not a good thing), combined with typical Pop-Culture TrashTM teen mentality...but at least the storyline doesn't appear to be an offensive "re-imagination" of a prior work of art.
I really like Guy Pearce, I definitely enjoy all of his roles I've seen him in. Frakes, though...while he's hit and miss as a director, he can do great work, so I'm hoping to hear more about this one than The Time Machine.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dana
My brother has a friend who works for Paramount and apparently the inside buzz is very high for Clockstoppers. He says it is expected to be a spring sleeper hit.
I've met Jonathan Frakes a few times. He is an extremely likeable, down to earth person and I hope this film does well for him and his post-Star Trek career.:)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Tino,
You've MET him?? We've GOTTA meet :D
Seriously, though, aside from a wish to meet any of the ST:TNG crew because I loved their work, I really would like to meet Mr. Frakes -- I'd like to hear how he learned about the craft of directing, and how he matured enough in the field to land himself a feature film (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this his first non-ST-related big-screen film he's directed?), and a slick-looking one at that.
So, when and where's the party I'm invited to, eh Tino? :D

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I was not very impressed with the special effects used in the trailer as they just don't look very realistic (ie: top notch) to me. Since the trailer tries to make the film seem like a CGI effects smorgasboard, I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this film. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Seems like my fears are going to be justified.

Those of you who've seen the thing: any further comments?

In the loneliness of my lil' home theater, I'll screen the George Pal version this weekend in silent protest.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This will most likely be the one-and-only movie this year that I will make the trek to the theater and see.
Peace Out~:D

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Dark Horizons has some more information today. Apparently the novel's ending was considered too depressing. A new surprise happy ending is being used instead.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Not to slight The Time Machine (2002), which I have not seen nor am in a position to pass judgement on, but it sounds suspiciously like PoTA (2001) meets Stargate.

I was hoping for more of a cerebral movie, just because I like time travel to tap into all sorts of cool cultural/political/humanistic issues. But [rant]IMO[/rant]it sounds like it will be a wild roller coaster thrill ride, a popcorn flick, eye candy, impressive set piece after set piece with no underlying theme other than to entertain.

I guess I am a bit of an idealist.. I want all my science fiction to do what ST:TOS largely accomplished... to deftly address a prevalent social or psychological phenomenon through a ficticious contextual looking glass.

But in this case,

'you'll want to rewind this Time Machine again and again!' -david manning

'in for the ride of your life'

'eye popping special effects!'

'slam bang action'

Whatever...

Joseph

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the reveiw Mark, now I am even more excited to catch it this weekend.
Peace Out~:D

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Your welcome Ron though I believe you will have to wait untill March 8th :).
I wish I could have posted this review sooner since I saw it over two weeks ago but alas I've just been busy with other things.
Oh well it's still a week and a half early but it could have been 3 weeks. Damn my busy life.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
Guy Pierce looks like a total doof too. I don't know if he was the best choice to play the part. Whatever happens, there's NO WAY IN HELL it will be better than the 1960 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks