What's new

*** Official THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'll be honest. I'm a long time horror buff, and I have never really enjoyed the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
I finally sat down and watched it for the first time just over 4-5 years ago, and felt completely let down by all the hype I had heard.

While I'm sure it was pretty shocking upon its original release, it just didn't do anything for me. I'll admit, things like not cutting away when Leatherface takes a swing with the sledgehammer, the cringeworthy use of a meathook , and the "dinner scene" finale were all quite effective, but as a whole, I was really underwhelmed. On the upside, I find pretty much all the scenes involving Franklin to be a riot. My only problem is, I don't think they were all intended to be funny. I'm sure seeing it when I was younger would have scared the living daylights out of me, but seeing it as an adult who has grown up watching horror flicks, it just seems like a lot of cheese with a few truly effective parts thrown in.

Well, enough of my sure to be scoffed at opinion of the first film, and onto the remake. In short, I loved it.
It lives up to the brutal, unrelenting, intense reputation that the original, in my opinion, didn't really earn. The way it achieves this is pretty simple. It cuts out any and all of the unnecessary humor from the original, aside from R. Lee Ermey's deeply, beautifully depraved one liners, and replaces it with sheer brutality. I thought the original was pretty shocking in the little violence it did display, but this takes it a step further.

Another touch that helps elevate this above the all the lame TCM sequels (as well as even the original) is Andrew Bryniarski's portrayal of Leatherface. Bryniarski has said in interviews he studied Gunnar Hansen's performance from the orignal, and it pays off. Gone is the goofy Leatherface of the sequels. Bryniarski brings back the character to what it should be; a heartless, relentless, hulking, and absolutely terrifying monster. Leatherface is once again elevated to the level of one of the most frightening, iconic characters in film history. He basically just scares the crap out of you as soon as he revs up that chainsaw or swings that sledgehammer. On a side note, there is one scene in the film that truly unnerves you just by having Leatherface wear one of his masks, something none of the the sequels nor the original pull off....you'll know it when you see it.

Needless to say, R. Lee Ermey almost runs away with the whole show. He's almost more frightening than Leatherface, and he doesn't have the advantage of a 270lb, 6'7" frame and a 3 foot long bladed chainsaw to assist him. He's just incredible. He'll have you charmed one minute, then at the turn of a dime turn into a cold and heartless psychopath. His scene in the back of the van with Tucker (a great Jonathan Tucker) is riveting. Last but not least, D.P. Daniel Pearl and director Marcus Nispel make this one of the most visually arresting horror films in recent history. The great John Larroquette (I'm a huge Dan Fielding fan from childhood) adds a nice touch as well.

Anyways, and I'm sure this will be considered blasphemy by my fellow horror fanatics, but I honestly have no use for the original whatsoever after seeing this film. This is just a brutal, intense ride that is pretty much a must-see for any open-minded horror fan. I still have trouble believing it came from a major studio. I have even more trouble believing it was produced by my one of my least favorite directors.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I still have trouble believing it came from a major studio. I have even more trouble believing it was produced by my one of my least favorite directors.
Amen on both counts. I find it amusing that such a buzz was created for House of 1000 Corpses as a result of it being dropped by studios, and it failed on all accounts. Meanwhile the TCM remake comes along and out-brutalizes it in all factors, while still being released by a major studio.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Matt, yeah, after TCM my brother and I were both discussing the irony of how House of 1000 Corpses was supposed the be the resurrection of 70s style horror, and how Rob Zombie was supposed to be our savior. He falls flat on his face (though I guess his movie did somehow make money), while two reviled commercial and music video directors show him how it's done.

With this strange twist of fate, I'm almost willing to give Dawn of the Dead a shot, despite its fairly lame trailer (though Tom Savini popping up did put a smile on my face).

Joel D

Grip
"the filmmakers have smartly avoided trying to mimic the original and come up with their own bag of tricks
yeh they didn't try to mimic the original, but they did attempt to mimic pretty much every teeny horror flick out there. The film didn't have one ounce of uniquness or originally at all.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from this film, and I loved it! The film had absolutely gorgeous cinematography, a wonderful use of sound, a good amount of suspense, good acting, and some cool new takes on the story. It was also really fuckin' brutal at parts, like Ermey breaking the bottle on that guy's jaw.
The music was also superb. Is it just me, or is one of the themes used here the same theme used a bit throughout Frailty? I'm pretty sure it was. That theme rules.

After reading a few interviews, articles, etc., I am really growing to like Biel a good bit, and I can't deny that she is very hot. She does a wonderful job in the film, and has a lot of energy. The always reliable Ermey is at his best in this film. This is definitely a role he was born to play, and he is a riot! I was also happy to see Erica from Blair Witch 2 in this film. I loved her in that film, and she is great once again in this remake. And of course there's Leatherface. While not quite on par with Gunnar's Leatherface, the one in this film is still very menacing, and I really liked how they utilized him more in this film.

Ermey's comeuppance was handled very well with us thinking Biel was in the diesel. I also loved how she ran over him multiple times, as it shows the true rage of the victim against the victimizer. I also liked how the film ended with Leatherface's picture and the Laraquette narration. Very sweet ending IMO.

I really don't have any real quibbles with this film. It was simply fantastic, and a very worthy remake. Not as great as the original, but very, very close, and more than worthy.

Michael Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just got back from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and must say I was severly disappointed. Now you need to understand that I rarely, if ever, am scared by anything. I feel that the movie showed way to much of Leather Face, thereby reducing his effect by about half. One big problem with the horror films of today is the monster is shown way to much. It is much more effective to barely see the monster, then fully reveal him towards the end of the film. It adds a sense of suspense that I didn't feel at all in this movie. Instead of using new and inventive scare tactics, the film relied on heavy use of gore and cheap scares to make an impact on the viewer.

Analyzing the film from a filmakers perspective, it was pretty well done. Its use of shoulder cam shots was very effective and the yellow filter made everything look old and erie. Even the clever use of these couldn't save the movie from becoming boring and laughable to me. I was more interested in how often the people around me jumped in their seats and screamed. They were more entertaining than what was taking place on screen.

Biel was very good looking in the film, which of course, was the intent of the director. It needed a good looking young actress to keep the audiences attention. White T-Shirt + rain + Biel = a good scene. Somehow this equation really doesn't add up to me. At least not to the 6 dollars I paid to go see this movie.

:star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:

JasonRH

Second Unit
White T-Shirt + rain + Biel = a good scene
That's enough to get me to go see this.:D

Seriously, though, the reviews here have got me interested in seeing this movie, even though I originally wasn't too interested in it. Definitely going to check it out.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I take it you've never seen Raimi's The Quick and the Dead then :)

I thought the new TCM was decent but nothing to brag about. Some moderate suspense and i really liked the cinematography and overall feel to this flick. Jessica Biel was really great and I enjoyed the film quite a bit.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Well, I didn't think I'd see a worse movie this year than BAD BOYS II, but reprobate Michael Bay tops himself. A boring film in its own right, strained in its effort to be pervasively repulsive, that actually spits all over Tobe Hooper's original. That movie was gritty, but not overly gruesome, attaining a chilling documentary style--this is a glossy studio financed B-movie with hip young TV stars. The murderous family were originally presented matter-of-factly as justified and normal within their own minds; here, the camera dwells exploitively on their facial deformities, and even ruins the mystique of Leatherface by saying he suffers from a skin condition. Of course, any remake that exists only to reproduce the film that inspired it is pointless, but why remake a film if you don't even understand the things that worked the first time? I would have walked out early if I didn't have to drive my friend home. The only relief from this joyless, corporate raping of a classic was talking to some fellow horror buffs afterward and finding out they all hated it too.

Rating F

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I agree with Mark. What utter garbage this was. Not the least bit scary, totally cliched and predictable. Why remake a movie if you're not going to do ANY of the stuff that made it cool in the first place? It seems like the only reason is to capitalize on the cult status of the original.

Here's what was cool about the original movie: the slow exploration of the room full of bones, the oddball humor, the sheer insanity and sense of hopelessness during the dinner table scene, the wheelchair guy you couldn't wait to see get killed. This remake has none of that. No roomful of bones. The only humor comes from the same old tired "country bumpkin" stuff we've already seen this year in Wrong Turn and Cabin Fever. No dinner table scene. No annoying guy (at least, not annoying to the other characters). About the only worthwhile thing they salvaged from the original was hanging a living person on a meat hook, and they even fucked that up by lingering on it far too long.

Awful, terrible, bad movie.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Hey Martin, where'd you check this one out at? I have a review up in the review thread, and I think that my opinion on the flick might have been a little tinted by the fact I had a REALLY live crowd at the 1:15 showing at the Lloyd. there weren't that many people in the theater, but the people there were REALLY into the flick and the scares. I hadn't sat with a horror crowd that live (One of the audience members pumped his fist in the air after the Dawn of the Dead trailer ended) since the opening showing of Scream.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
We do almost all our viewing at Eastport Century. Good seats, and if you register on Century's website, they email you coupons for free concessions. We only go to Lloyd for the LOTR midnight premieres.

I was irritated by the DOTD trailer. Does everything have to be a remake now?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Conveniently enough, Scott Weinberg has composed a mighty list of remakes over on the Polls forum, thus sparing me the effort. These are just in the past 3 years:

13 Ghosts (2001)
Bedazzled (2002)
Freaky Friday (2003)
Get Carter (2000)
Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
The Good Thief (2003)
The In-Laws (2003)
Insomnia (2002)
The Italian Job (2003)
Just Visiting (2001)
Mean Machine (2002)
Mr. Deeds (2002)
Ocean's 11 (2001)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
The Ring (2002)
Rollerball (2002)
Shaft (2000)
Solaris (2002)
Swept Away (2002)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
The Time Machine (2002)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
Willard (2003)

Upcoming:
Billy Jack
Cheaper by the Dozen
Dawn of the Dead
King Kong
The Ladykillers
Love Don't Cost a Thing {Remake of Can't Buy Me Love (1987)}
The Manchurian Candidate
Porky's
The Stepford Wives
Walking Tall
War of the Worlds
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

All two of them, huh?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
As also posted in the review thread:

Based on its own merits, this TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is very close to being irredeemable junk. While the performaces of the kids are pretty good, the adults don't fare as well, particularly R. Lee Ermey's sheriff.

Every moment of "horror" is telegraphed with annoyingly inept musical stings. And since they've (unwisely) decided to up the gore level, what genius thought it smart to hide it with ridiculous fast cutting? Another fatal error - the showing of Leatherface without his mask. And where are the cannibalism and supernatural aspects? The first 10 or 15 minutes were okay, but the rest bogged down into standard run-and-hide formula.

But what was sorely missed was the unrelenting feeling of dread that the first film delivers (and that no horror film has delivered since). That sense of dread is nowhere to be found in this remake - they didn't even try.

0 stars out of 4 - don't see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks