What's new

*** Official "THE RING" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I liked The Ring. Was it really scary? No, but there were some intense moments where I wanted to see what happened next. Also, the film was shot in a very unique way that separates it from other movies.

Most horror movies are made with the idea that they will be horror films when they are done. The only problem is, they're not scary at all. The Ring didn't feel the same. It felt like they made the movie to make it more suspenseful and more of a thriller. They used atmosphere and visuals to create the horror rather than things popping out of nowhere or intense gore. I didn't find it to be scary (I just can't be scared by a movie) but it did have moments where you would just think about something they showed you and be creeped out. Such examples would be

the horse jumping off the boat, then seeing the blood pop out from the bottom, the videotape, Samara walking out of the TV, the quick shot of the girl's dead body in the closet, and the video of Samara from the psychiatric ward. Not to mention the end.

Which brings me to the ending, which I really liked. The viewers are told what was going on in the movie, but there are some loose ends that you can easily fill in for yourself based on what the movie gives you. Beyond those loose ends is the actual last scene of the movie, which is just great.

Overall, I loved it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Interesting concept, dissapointing movie.
I had absolutely no idea what the movie was about when I went in, save it was horror. I grew very excited at the mention of the tape, as I had never heard such a concept before - something new, it was like a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately the movie failed to live up to the expectations built up in the first few minutes.
I didn't really find it scary, but mostly, I waited for the story to make sense, and it never did. Oh well.
At least I will never look at my TV the same way again ;)
--
Holadem

Matt Daeo

Grip
Had to be one of the worst horror movies I've seen. Absolutely no atmosphere or special effects to keep me interested in the movie.
Most of the movie is spent with Naomi Watts trying to find out who made a video tape. Other than her being attractive I found no real draw to the movie whatsoever.
The only way the movie could scare you was to use loud suprise tones. I find it really hard to believe that anyone other than a 5 year old would be "terrified"(the five year old probably would lose his attention span before he had a chance to become scared anyway).
I give it a :star: rating.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Well, I just got back after my long overdue viewing of The Ring. I must say it was an extremely well done horror movie. I haven't seen the original, but if it's anything like this, I'm tracking it down. I had chills down my back through half the film. I've seen my fair share of horror films, and this is definitely one of the scariest. The ending could have been done better but Samara coming out of the TV
was enough for me. The DVD is a must buy when it's released.
:star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2 (out of 5) :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks