What's new

The Matrix Revolutions (2003) (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Some Of The People None Of The Time
All bashers should share their version of the film for review.
Pooping on this work is useless without an alternate story.
E

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
All bashers should share their version of the film for review.
I for one would have preferred to see Neo using his powers to actually free people from the Matrix, then those people revolting against the machines.

I think this story arc would have kept the series more grounded in the "real world" and it would have been neat to see average people waking up to the reality of their situation.

Heck, just making Kid's Story the opening sequence of RELOADED would have gone a long way in this regard.

JeffLl

Agent
No problem Ricardo! To answer the final question:

The Deus Ex machine is on screen for oh about 5 minutes. Very important scene though!

I'm fairly surprised about the negative reviews. Not the fact that people didn't like it (different strokes for different folks) but how much those who didn't like it feel they need to lash out at it. My theory is too many people are placing too much hope and hype into films so if the film doesn't turn out to be the exact way their fanboy script is, they revolt.

Sure, Revolutions did not have the depth I hoped for but ya know what: I spent the movie on the edge of my seat, the story was brought to a conclusion of some sort so I did leave the theater satisfied, I saw some eye candy, plenty of great action, questions were raised and answered thus creating suspense, and I felt entertained!! That's the key. I enjoyed those 2 hours on Monday when I saw it.

Okay so the best thing about the movie for me was the exploration of the concept that the oracle had to make choices as well. Choices that she may not have understood at first. That realization brings more depth to her character. Also, as a side note, I like how the action picks up EXACTLY where Reloaded left off.

My least favorite thing was the complete lack of story development surrounding the Merovingian. I was hoping to find out that he was one of the previous "ones" or something like that.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

On your last point:

It sounds like the intent and reasoning behind M's actions are left completely unexplored? He is just a rogue program who wants more power...that's it?

JeffLl

Agent
Chris-

That's pretty much all I get out of it. And that's a shame to have no more depth.

Especially because:

early on Neo is trapped in an inbetween existance that the "trainman" runs. the Merovingian is in charge of the trainman so Trinity and Morph go to see the Merovingian about freeing Neo. I anticipating that scene would have some depth to it but it's just an action scene with guns ablazing. It's that scene in the trailer where Trinity cocks the gun and says "You bet" or something like that.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thank You Chris
The W bros probably have a few hundred pages of that in a file
somewhere. Keeping it centered on Neo is fine with me, but that could have worked. Then again, our detractors would complain that we've been there already.
Agent Smith(s) takes up just as much space in the story.
E

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

Is it explained exactly HOW M has Neo under control? I would assume this would have to be related to Neo's stopping the sentinels at the end of RELOADED.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Keeping it centered on Neo is fine with me, but that could have worked.
I think my general outline could have worked with many of the elements they had. Neo would still have to return to the source to ultimately destroy the Matrix, but the new awakenings would simultaneously take more power in the real world too.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
My best guess (or hope) is that the upcoming comic books or video games explain some of the questions that were never answered. Especially w/ regards to the Merovingian

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Sure, Revolutions did not have the depth I hoped for but ya know what: I spent the movie on the edge of my seat, the story was brought to a conclusion of some sort so I did leave the theater satisfied, I saw some eye candy, plenty of great action, questions were raised and answered thus creating suspense, and I felt entertained!! That's the key. I enjoyed those 2 hours on Monday when I saw it.
sounds a lot like what the SW fans tell me when i criticize ROTJ.
for the record, as anyone could tell who actually saw the movie, that i haven't.
i find it somewhat ironic, though, that from all the reviews and synopsis's i've read that so much of the "depth" that hardcore fans attributed to reloaded looks to be just gimmick/game playing by the W bros.
the fans look to have put more thought into the resolution of brainteasing tidbits sprinkled throughout the second film, than its creators actually did.
and when you introduce a concept as having some significance and don't pay it off in some way, that does amount to nothing but teasing.
its the equivilent of pretending to throw Spot a ball and keeping it in your hand behind your back.

the over-all question i had after Reloaded was "just how much of that 2 hours and 20 minutes was absolutely neccessary?" for the fans that love these ...characters ( video game avatars is a closer description), the answer is probably "so what? i'm just enjoying the ride".

well, thats fine and dandy, but again...it sounds alot like the SW fans rationalizing the 'so amazingly inferior in every way that it actually degrades the previous better entries by association' Jedi.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Lets not forget that there are many in Zion with plugs.
Perhaps we're expected to `get it' . It's an ongoing process of freeing people and the program allowing for it each cycle.
Old news here, but it goes back to the many things you can take away from the story if you care to.
Some prefer everything on a platter - no thinking required.
E

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Some prefer everything on a platter - no thinking required.
That's not a fair comment at all.

What I prefer is to see things explored instead of being told to us with the line "we've freed more people in the last six months than the last six years".

I think it's unfair to accuse me of "not thinking" about the movie, because I know they are freeing people from the Matrix. I would have preferred, however, to have seen this as the focus of the plot. It doesn't have anything to do with my level of thought about the film.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I'm going to see the movie to be entertained, not to try and read something into the movie that's not there or to learn a valuable life lesson. To hell with the critics, what do they know!
Great Review Scott, Thanks.

Bill

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Simply put:

Another turd has been laid. Bulkier, cornier, and more odiferous than the last.
Impressive.

I look at wanting more of a backstory on the Merovingian as being similar to wanting more backstory on Boba Fett or Jabba the Hutt in Return of the Jedi. Possibly interesting, but certainly not the focal point of the story.

I hope to see it tonight. All this negativity doesn't bother me one bit, as it seems to be the same complaints levelled at the second film. If The Matrix Revolutions has half the depth and wow factor of Reloaded, then I'll be a very happy camper indeed.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I look at wanting more of a backstory on the Merovingian
I guess I don't necessarily need backstory, but just some motivation for his character...something to make him a little more 3-D, instead of "I am a bad person and now I will do bad things."

And, given the PT, we have far more motivation for Boba Fett in the OT than we do the Merovingian at this point.

JeffLl

Agent
Chris

Nope. It is mentioned why and how Neo stops the sentinels but it is done with little reason or explanation. Nothing about the M controlling Neo, that's not the issue in Revo. M controls the zone where Neo is but he doesn't control Neo.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
And, given the PT, we have far more motivation for Boba Fett in the OT than we do the Merovingian at this point.
Yes, but I find it hard to believe that Lucas included anything in the prequel trilogy about Boba Fett as anything other than pandering to the Star Wars geeks out there who elevated a second string one-note character like Boba Fett into some kind of god. I mean, come on, Boba Fett died so Lucas could have a burb joke!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
If The Matrix Revolutions has half the depth and wow factor of Reloaded, then I'll be a very happy camper indeed.
most of the 'depth' that has been attributed to Reloaded lo these past 6 months is because many of the brain teasing plot points weren't resolved- you were given a swooning whiff of something that you expected to get to fully consume in the last installment- when in fact, in a lot of cases, the aroma was all that the W bros really had to offer.

people read depth into paragraph after paragraph of incomplete text and whenever anyone would dare to question if there was actually substance there- the mantra was "just wait until the next movie..."

call a spade a spade- its a very cool looking movie that uses a lot of pretentious allusions to make it seem far more thematically significant than it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks