What's new

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh...one other thing, I definitely agree that Neo has been given powers via "real" Agent Smith. From the ending combined with the teaser after the credits, you can see that the major conflict is between Neo and Smith.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the first one strictly based on it's groundbreaking visuals, fights, style, and the awesome Hugo Weaving...however I always thought the plot was a poor mishmash of Terminator, Dark, City, and other films of that ilk. With the sequel, they have added so many original layers and twists to that basic (but not at all original) premise they have made it an entire mythology, to where I kept thinking of Star Wars during the movie.

Some parts do go a little too long, as you can tell the Wachowski's are just a little too in love with their own work (the rave, the burly brawl), and like to show off how smart and intellectual they think they are (the Architect's rambling monologue), but as a whole it's an incredible film.

Based on the unoriginality story-wise of the first and the growingly negative sentiments of the online geek community (AICN in particular), I was expecting to be thoroughly let down, but I was completely blown away. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the genre.

With X2, and now this, if Ang Lee has pulled off what it looks like he has pulled off with The Hulk, this could be the best geek summer in years. As good as things are going, T3 might even be decent despite Cameron's absence...not very likely, but the trailer looked purty.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I thought that little bit about Agent Smith infecting the guy and then taking the telephone out was part of Neo's dream, but it is beginning to make more sense. This makes me want to see the third one all that much more.

People seem to think this is the sixth Matrix, which makes my theory about this Neo being the seventh and complete "The One" bunk. I will verify upon seeing this again. But then agent Smith is definitely the AntiChrist equivalent, cutting the 11 into his hand...

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this one, even more than the first. And most importantly, it left me holding my breath for more.

November is going to be a great film month.

Many memorable scenes, as have been mentioned.

I also like the scene at the restaurant, Merovingian, the trophy blonde, the cheesecake, and the orgasm.

I know that there is a blue pill and a red pill...encapsulate the power of that cheesecake and see how many steer their free choice and flock for that concoction.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For me, the purpose of the rave scene was to show us a celebration of life for humans in this environment of Zion, and that was a macro-view of the human community in the face of battling for their lives against the machines. The micro-view interspliced with the rave scene was the love making between Neo and Trinity (so there is now the possibility of Trinity getting preggers if they want to go there in Revolutions).

I could see that Neo in the "real" world could be inflicted with some virus by the trojan Smith in the "real" world (who winds up being the sole survivor for one of the ships planning a surprise attack on the sentinels at the end of the film). I thought Smith developed into a rogue virus program inside the Matrix (once Neo dispatched him at the end of the first film), which was manifested by him making copies of himself when the opportunity presented itself. It's actually kind of a cool way to use the Smith copy process as a metaphor for computer viruses that infect computer systems and cause havoc.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I just now picked up on that Smith has made a 100 smiths, but only one actually is walking and "living" in the real world. Notice he was the only one they picked up from the wreckage at the end.

Cliff notes please about the Architect whole thing.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Patrick,
I definitely agree with you about the rave scene in Zion. I thought the cross-editing was good...my only complaint was that it went on a little too long. I got the point about 2 minutes before it ended :)

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Doug R:

The choice Neo faced with the Architect wasn't "Trinity dies/Zion lives" vs "Trinity lives/Zion dies". The choice was "Trinity dies, Zion dies and the Matrix is recreated (return to the Source)" vs "Trinity might die/Neo might be able to save Zion/the Matrix might crash and kill everyone connected to it (return to the Matrix)". He did what he had to do - the only choice which could possibly save BOTH Zion and Trinity.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I love the ripple effect when Neo is taking off. I think that is an homage to Akira. I will have to re-watch Akira to confirm...
I wouldn't be surprised...did you happen to see the 2 parts of The Second Renaissance in the Animatrix series? The beginning of Part I and the end of Part II pay homage to Akira.

In fact, Koji Morimoto, director of Beyond (one of the installments of The Animatrix) was the animation director for Akira...six degrees of separation (and Jada Pinkett Smith is married to...)

Anyway, again, I really found this film substantial and worthy of digestion.

It's like a gothic Groundhog Day on acid, with a kick. And I loved Groundhog Day.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Couldn't agree more. Although I'd admit that perhaps the dance scene runs on about 30 seconds too long, I thought the sweaty gyrations of all the dancers, intercut with the lovemaking (giggle) of Neo and Trinity, was a great grimy portrait of humanity in its most basic form. Plus they're dancing in the face of death. I respect that.

Given that most of the action (in both films) take place in a silvery antiseptic world of the matrix, I quite enjoyed this natural human interaction.

Of course there's always the possibility that Zion and the "Real World" is yet another matrix inside the matrix.

Think on THAT, sleepyheads! :)

dan fritzen

Second Unit
The choice Neo faced with the Architect wasn't "Trinity dies/Zion lives" vs "Trinity lives/Zion dies". The choice was "Trinity dies, Zion dies and the Matrix is recreated (return to the Source)" vs "Trinity might die/Neo might be able to save Zion/the Matrix might crash and kill everyone connected to it (return to the Matrix)". He did what he had to do - the only choice which could possibly save BOTH Zion and Trinity.
Very good point Dave.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
First I want to say that I really enjoyed the film and will need to see it again to grasp it all. I the one major problem I had with the film was the "digital doubles." Say what you want to about the Star Wars prequels but Lucas is the only one that has been able to create digital doubles that come close to looking like there real life counter parts. Remember, I enjoyed the film so I'm not saying it was bad but every time they used a double it took me out of the film. It looked like something out of the Enter The Matrix video game. I thought that there were way to many times they used this effect. It was obviously noticeable every time digital double appeared on screen. They didn't come close to looking like the real actors. In the in the Neo vs 100 Smith fight there seemed to be a "dd" every 15 seconds. The worst was the flying above the clouds at the beginning. That look horrible. I know it is still very difficult to create digital doubles and that G. Lucas spends more money on it then anyone. It's like they used the technique just to use it. If you can't do it convincingly why bother.

That aside, I thought a few of the fight scene where pointless i.e. the Neo vs the Oracle bodyguard. Also, I thought that they removed the implants on their chest and backs in the first film. I just watched it Sunday and I thought I saw them removed. I thought the girls gone wild party in Zion was to long and pointless. The cake orgasm scene was stupid and served no purpose. I know I'm sound overly negative but these grips are minor and it is a very fun and entertaining film. It creates more questions then answers. Can't wait to see Revolutions!

But Return of the King will be the movie of the year. Sorry had to add that.

Gregory E

Second Unit
I'm not up for a big review....just a couple thoughts:

I enjoyed the movie....but I need to see it again. The CG in the "Burly Brawl" was not that good. I can't believe the Brothers and Silver were happy with the way it looked. But I loved the concept and think it could have been super cool. I think maybe the slow-mo made the CG more obvious.

What fun would it be if Neo just flew around and didn't fight anybody? Even if he could.....

I'm going to hold off on my final opinion until after Revolutions comes out. I think some of the plot points will make a lot more sense after we see the final chapter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While the action setpieces are driving the hype for the film, and the freeway sequence does rock like a mutha :), the real appeal of the film for me was the exploration of the nature of the Matrix.

The sequence with the Architect was one of the highlights of the film for me. The exposition in the sequence was, IMHO, clearly the the filmmakers attempting to speak directly toward the audience - to explain the Matrix and its purpose. I admired this sequence a great deal, because it drove home the ambitions of the film and its attempt to shine some light on the great question that is at the heart of the Matrix films.

How does one reconcile choice and pre-destination? That, for me, is the grail that Neo will seek in the The Matrix: Revolutions. And, if achieved, that paradigm will create a new reality that will forever change the equation and alter the Matrix irrevocably. Throughout the film, the binary nature of the Matrix ( naturally a program would be comfortable with a concept that is binary in nature ) is emphasized in choices that are framed in terms of EITHER A OR B. Neo's ability, or desire, to go beyond these terms, these rules, this system will be the key to forging the new reality. Perhaps in a synthesis of man and machine, which is hinted at via Agent Smith's new power.

Re: the Rave Scene - I thought it was pretty obvious that the primal nature of the scene was intended to communicate the humanity of Zion, in contrast to the cool, clinical nature of the programs encountered throughout the film.

I don't feel up for a full review at this point, but I really enjoyed the film and expect to see it theatrically again in the near future.

You naysayers can go eat a cookie. Then maybe you'll feel right as rain. :)

- Walter.

FredK

Second Unit
Really surprised by the movie I can't stop thinking about it.

For the first 45 minutes I started to recall the negative reviews and almost... almost started to believe them.

But then the hook came, and from the Oracle to the Architect I finally got to see what I came for, some real mind-screwing info on what the Matrix really is, and how it works and what to do about it. All this stuff leads to so many possibilities, but in the end Revolutions has to be about resolving the story arc of mankind... and I can't wait to see it.

The CGI was pretty obvious in many instances.

I don't care about Zion or the way it came across on screen, but I do care about the seam between the Matrix & real world (it's gone right now, I really need to compartmentalize what the heck is going on with a few more viewings).

Some of the religious philosophizing was really groaner material, but anything that had to do with the truth of the system was outstanding. Hopefully Revolutions is focused on the reality of the Matrix and not the religion of man's last (most recent?) stand.

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
I am glad they didn't go the simple route.
I was worried going in that it would be a straightforward battle between machines and man for control of the planet. But they threw in that wicked twist that basically adds another level to the story and expands its scope.
Excellent.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I didn't like the movie at all. Too long, boring at times, for me uninspired.

I wanted to like it having really liked the The Matrix. This one just didn't work for me. But I have no desire to fart on the thread with repeated negativity either, so I won't restate my issues with the film again on this thread.

And at the same time, I hope we're tolerant of those who don't agree with our thoughts. :)

dan fritzen

Second Unit
1. Can Anyone Tell me the name of controller guy who held the keymaster ( I am the keymaster are you the gatekeeper?) hostage?

What fun would it be if Neo just flew around and didn't fight anybody? Even if he could.....
Not to mention that Neo did not know how Smith came back and therefore wanted to test Smith's power, so fighting him made more sense than running away.

4. A lot of reference/talk about choice and fate in this one then throw in the talk in the engineering level on Zion, was that saying if you Neo understands the machines he can control them too?

I really should go to bed but this discussion is too interesting.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked it a great deal, but there are a few things that keep it from being as great as the first. I'm going to post a review when I see it a second time, but I don't think there is as much to noodle about in this one because the end is completely spelled out. This may be my problem with the film, there isn't anything to discover, only things to take in.

The Architect has found a repeating degrading pattern in each of his six previous Matrix versions. In each one, a small percentage of the humans interacting will rebel against the fatalist programming and leave. This ability to choose is personified in The One. Perhaps as a means to understand the anomoly or just for his own personal edification, he seeds each successive Matrix with the ingredients to create the One. By the time that it gets to be out of control, they kill the majority of the rebelling humans and Reload the Matrix.

The irrational choice always made by the One always means that the Sentinels will destroy the last human outpost. To perpetuate the situation, they have the One choose a stock cast of people to reoccur in the next version. I assume that this will include himself, the Neb crew, and all principle humans from all three films.

Here is speculation on my part - the machines use genetic material from those principle members and have them grown every 100 years or so. This implies a bit of genetic destiny, because Trinity always grows to love Neo and Neo always becomes the One. Additionally, I think Neo is different at a basic level, given his abilities outside the Matrix as well as in.

How, this seventh version of the Matrix is showing a number of new permutations that hadn't existed before. Neo is able to save Trinity, whereas she had always died in previous versions. I think Agent Smith is the cause of that change. Perhaps in the previous six versions, there was never a rage filled agent who desired to live on. In this version there is, and he survives his encounter with Neo able to accomplish many new things. One of them is the ability to infect humans with his consciousness. He attempts to use it on Neo, but it fails. However, this gives Neo the ability to "reach into" Trinity to remove the bullet and restart the heart.

Now the next film, it seems to me, will focus on the fact that they are in uncharted territory. The prophecy doesn't go any further, so they have no roadmap. Additionally, Smith has planted an agent in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks