*** Official THE LOVELY BONES Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    like others, I become a fan of jackson with the lotr films. I am also a big fan of the king kong remake that he did. so Ialso look forward to his new movie. he is a very talented director.

Jacob

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Holly mackeral, I havent read the book but that trailer really seems to give away EVERYTHING, including the little girls .... killer ...... or so it seems.

anyway how long has this movie been in post production seems like forever.

4. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Heavenly Creatures is my favorite PJ film. When I saw that film, I couldn't believe the Dead Alive guy did this. After Heavenly Creatures, Lovely Bones seems like a natural fit for him and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully in December, I can get out to see it. With a newborn, seeing movies at the theater has become nonexistent.

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I'm currently reading the book...about 3/4 of the way thru and the trailer doesn't give away much at all.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Lovely Bones". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Lovely Bones" should be posted to the
    Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    anyone read Ebert's review.
    He clobbered it, he gave it 1.5 stars but seemed like he was giving it a less then 1 star review.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's a very difficult subject matter to get right. In the book, Susie's heaven is beautiful and composed of all the things that appeal to her. None of that, however, takes away from the sorrow and longing she feels for the life and world she left behind. From the sound of things, the character lives of those left behind were short changed as well in order to focus on the murder mystery which -- after all -- isn't much of a mystery.

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013956.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=vertfilm

Absolutely fascinaing article about the marketing of the moie

There is a lot more

10. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

I read the book a while ago and after seeing the movie yesterday, I'm actually wondering if there's a different cut out there. While there were some scenes I found familiar with the book, it was still a different story from what I read in the book. It did focus more on the relationship between Suzie and her father but somehow it just didn't show enough. There were some hints to what was in the book so I'm wondering if Peter Jackson actually shot more footage that would have made the movie more faithful but decided to re-edit it last minute knowing that it would get trounced at the box-office.

11. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I haven't read the book and while I liked certain apects of the film most of it came off as airless and ametuerish in my opinion. Anytime Suzie was on screen, I was moved and riveted. Every other character besides Tucci's gets the short end of the stick. I was not concerned about them at all.

12. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Is this Peter Jackson's first official flop? I didn't even know it was pushed back to January...This felt like a remake of What Dreams May Come for some strange reason. I'm not glad the film isn't doing well despite the fact it's not a great movie but I'm hoping this will finally free Jackson to work on the desperately needed rumored SE's of his early horror films, a genre he might be best sticking with

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The Frighteners tanked. I don't know what the budget was on The Frighteners but I bet it did worse than The Lovely Bones will end up doing.

14. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I loved The Frighteners too. But it was panned when it came out.

I liked the movie. The only real character that I really had any real connection to was the "killer". Not that I am a killer but I think his character was the best in the movie. The other thing I am glad they did and I don't know if it like this in the book;

When the bones are thrown in the dump and then the dirt is pilled on, bascially, the bones were never going to be found. No real happy ending for the parents in terms of closur. This I also liked.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I saw The Frighteners in the theater on the opening Friday or Saturday night and there was about 5 people there. Both me and my friend loved the movie though.

As for The Lovely Bones, it was probably the most frustrating movie that I've seen in a long time. I enjoyed most aspects of the movie but I thought the depiction of the other side just came off as silly. Unfortunately, that just sank the movie for me.

16. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I agree. The heaven sequences were missing something for me also. Both me and the wife have the same feelings about those sequences.

17. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

Hello. You all might be interested in this take on the movie, which has gotten a lot of traffic on my blog:
    http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/brian-eno-and-the-lovely-bones-3/