What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hard-core book fan checking in here... ;)

Just saw RoTK this Sunday morning, and I must say that I thought it to be the best of the three films. Most of my misgivings in The Two Towers stemmed from character changes (i.e. Faramir=Boromir Lite, dumbing-down of the Ents, Saruman as a witless slave to Sauron as opposed to someone who is striving to gain power as well and overtake the Dark Lord). I have no problems with omissions, or clean lifts, as there simply is not enough screen time to put LoTR on film in three movies. It would take, in my estimation, approximately 20-25 hours of film to do LoTR "true justice" and that is just too much to ask of an audience (i.e. six films of 3-4 hours each). Examples of clean lifts: Bombadil, Barrow Downs, Scouring.

RoTK does what FoTR does - it lifts things for time purposes. But it does not change the fundamental core of characters from the novel. It is true to the book in as close a manner as is possible considering that it could have been a six-hour movie if they tried to be totally true.

But RoTK's scale is what makes this film the best of the bunch, and the wrapping up of all the character arcs that were started 7.5 hours of (EE) film ago. With the constraints PJ had to work with, I can find very little fault with the 3:20 cut he put onscreen, and I am eagerly awaiting rumored 4+ hour EE cut, which can only be better (for those of us who yearn for simply more LoTR).

Overall ratings:
FoTR: 4/5 stars
FoTR EE: 4.5/5 stars
TTT: 3.5/5 stars
TTT EE: 4/5 stars
RoTK: 4.5/5 stars

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw it yesterday. It is the best of the three, and one of (perhaps THE) the grandest, most epic films ever made. I liken it to a Beethoven symphony in its crescendo of emotion and grandeur. Peter Jackson hit SO many notes SO wonderfully well that I simply can't be overly critical of deviations from the book. I eagerly await the EE, but this film easily lifts The Lord of the Rings above all other film trilogies.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
When asked in the past, what is your all time favorite, no holds barred film, I always answered "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and Star Wars. I could never really decide which was was "number one" in my brain.

I don't think I will ever have that problem again.

Return of The King is the winner, and likely will remain that way for the rest of my life, I think. I enjoyed the film from the start, even with some of the pacing flaws over the first 30 minutes or so. The addition of the finding of the Ring helps really show, the corrupting power of the One Ring.

What got me was the Rohirrim(sp) charging down the hill and breaking though the Orcs line. The image of a crashing wave was just as I had pictured it in my mind all these years. Stunning, completely.

I will have to see it again, which is a rare thing these days. If I see a film that I think "I will have to watch it again" I have usually just waited until the DVD is released. Not for this one!

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it for the second time yesterday and let me tell you that it was every bit as amazing as it was the first time. Man, the Extended Edition can't come soon enough. I want my precious, now.

Brion

John CW

Supporting Actor
Holy $@%#!!!! Peter Jackson did it!!!!

He didn't mess up the third part of the story, he ended the trilogy perfectly. Where other film makers have failed and stumbled before (Return of the Jedi, Matrix: Revolutions, Godfather: Part III), Jackson has managed to keep the tone, style and above all, quality, of the previous movies.

If you're reading all this endless praise before you've seen RotK then you'll probably be dissapointed: This film IS excellent, but expectations can kill any movie. Go see it as the final part of one huge movie (for that's what it is) and try not to let your expectations ruin your experience.

When I first saw TTT I couldn't believe how dissapointed I was (and it wasn't from unrealistic expectations either! ;)) -- FotR had captured the book perfectly, but TTT messed around with many of my favorite scenes (most notably Helm's Deep). Plus it has this awful downer ending (even though they'd just won a huge battle against incredible odds and wiped out the second biggest threat in Middle Earth, Saruman). I just couldn't bring myself to sit through it again (even though I tried several times). I hoped that the Extended Edition made up for my percieved short-comings, and it did, to some extent. But what had changed was my perspective.

I recently watched TTT:EE again and for the first time I *really* enjoyed it. What changed my mind and allowed me to enjoy it on the same level as just about everyone else? Reading reviews of other people who were equally disapointed in TTT...

I realized that one person's mistep in another person's masterstroke. When I looked for people who disliked TTT for the same reasons I did, I couldn't find them. Every review/list of complaints or changes was totally different. The things that I considered important were not considered important by anyone else, and the things that didn't bother me bothered some others...

The things that bothered me were the changes to Helm's Deep (why did the Elves turn up and the Ents/Hourns not?). Why my favorite scene in TTT (book) was cut: Merry and Pippin finding the stores at Isengard. And what was with King Theoden's character?

The wargs, like most people, didn't bother me. Gimli's messed up character was irksome, but it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the film. The Galadrial/Elrond conversation didn't seem out of place to me. But these things "ruined" the movie for some people.

I realized that it's impossible for Jackson to have created a movie that would please everyone. Sacrifices had to be made in some places, and some people would mind them and others wouldn't. (I recently read a review were a big complaint was that the "Rohirrim would not have named a horse 'Brego'"!)

Judging by the fact that a) RotK beat the Phantom Menace's box-office opening and b) RotK is currently rated at the 3rd best movie of all time in the IMDb's All-Time Top 250, I'd say that any changes to the Trilogy did not make the film(s) any less brilliant or enjoyable.

I watched RotK as a fan of the books, but also as a fan of the films. It's AMAZING what Peter Jackson has done here. I'd never have believed it was possible to tell the story of Lord of the Rings so perfectly, so tonally correct, so... consistently.

Return of the King is an absolute triumph, I only hope that the book-lovers and hardcore LotR movie fans can appreciate it and enjoy it for the perfect closing chapter it is.

Leave your personal irks at the door and appreciate what IS there... this is an amazing epic that stays incredibly true to the source material.

All Hail Peter Jackson! (and Company)!

New Line's "Lord of the Rings" can now be seen as a complete wonderful success!!!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Will K

Screenwriter
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Stunning. Amazing. Sweet J, this mammoth of a movie makes the first two entries look like small independent films. I would say more, but I'm busy trying to get my jaw back into position.

I hope George Lucas is taking some notes.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I’ve been one of the few that did not actually enjoy the first two chapters of Fellowship and Two Towers but it is safe to say that The Return of the King has come to the fore on this occassion. The film this time around seemed to have an urgency to it that was lacking in the first two episodes and as such the pacing is more viewer-friendly, even if the movie clocked in at over three hours long.

Overall, The Return of the King is a grand picture that IMO the Academy will have little hesitation in honoring as their best for 2003. And it is of my belief that it is better to have a mediocre beginning and a strong finish than to have a memorable introduction and a weak conclusion in order to leave a grand mark with movie buffs. And by avoiding such pitfalls is… IMO where the Rings trilogy has succeeded and where the Matrix trilogy has failed.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

I saw ROTK yesterday and loved it. The sheer spectacle of the movie was enormous. Peter Jackson and Co. not only delivered the goods in the final chapter but concluded one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time in grand style. Needless to say ROTK was my favorite of the three.

As it stands the LOTR movies are my second favorite story behind the Star Wars Saga. I have a more personal connection to Star Wars due to the fact that it has been a part of my life since my childhood. And to me nothing will ever supplement that. Up until 4 years ago when the teaser trailer for FOTR hit the internet, I had never heard of the LOTR. But in that period of time PJ has turned me into a big fan of both the movies and books. I'm sure this is true for many other people too. This "conversion" is a testament to PJ and everyone involved in the making of the movies. Every ounce of their passion and love for the material translates up on screen. I just wanted to congratulate Peter Jackson and crew for accomplishing a monumental achievement with this trilogy. Well done!!!

Chris

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
First off let me say I did enjoy ROTK. However, I couldn't help feeling a bit let down after seeing it. I'm guessing it is because I had re-read the book a few months ago and so much was removed in this version. Also, it was kinda weird that they kept so much of the Shelob story from Two Towers held over into ROTK, and for so long into the movie too. I knew they held it until the third part, but I rather thought they'd have gone through that quickly early in ROTK. And some fairly large omissions, especially Gandalf confronting Saruman at Isengard and Saruman throwing the palantir, (because that's what Wormtongue gave him to throw). Also much of the goings on with healings and such back in Minas Tirith, after/during the battles. And the army that goes to the Black Gate meeting others along the way. Also, why did they never call the "Paths of the Dead" the "Paths of the Dead"?

I'm hoping the Extended Edition will fill in a lot of the chopiness I felt, and then I can enjoy it even more.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Incredibly well made movie, for the most part. However, I am not blown away by it, by any means, and I personally would not award it best picture. Though since I don't think I've seen anything lately which I would.. I guess that doesn't really matter. I'd probably give it an B+, or an A-.

Very displeased with the opening, and the closing. Felt that Denethor needed more to explain his "changing". Was displeased that there was no explanation given to Gandalf's lack of action. Felt that the ending could have used more beefing up, less sentiment. I figured this movie would have me weepy, but it didn't even come close. Suprised me at how little emotion it brought up, actually. A good movie, but far from perfect, however, I'm sure finishing the book will fill things in.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I figured I'd put this here. It is a ROTK review :)

It will be EE spoiler-free.

I received the EE last week on Tuesday. Hadn't touched it until today, because it requires a large chunk of devoted time. I hadn't seen ROTK in full since last January, when I caught my second and final viewing in the theater. I'd seen bits and pieces. After a great year of movies, I had almost forgotten the film that started the year for me. Almost. It's almost tough to write this review, as it hit me like a ton of bricks when the EE ended. I wish I had savored it more. There is no more LOTR for me. Three years ago, I literally FELL IN LOVE with the film series and story. And even ROTK ending held the promise of the EE. And that promise is fulfilled. I still hold FOTR as the best of the films, but ROTK:EE is absolutely beautiful, haunting, and complete.

I won't cover the changes...we'll discuss them in a week, when most of the usual suspects have seen the film. But almost all of them are worthwhile and meaningful, and the film grows in little moments, so much so that I have no idea where the 50 minutes are in the final tally. Not all of them are needed, but it's an improvement over the TTT:EE for me (where I felt about 30-40% of the added material was unnecessary). What isn't necessary doesn't take me out. And what works really works. Most of the added music is exceptional. The additional scenes also boast some exceptional acting, and add to the richness of the world and the series.

Most of the added Gimli material is of the comic relief variety. It usually rubs me a little wrong, but it is funny, and it does work. I just don't feel it's faithful to the character. In all honesty though, I did smile, and it works in the films. I just don't like it.

The added scene I loved most was just a quick shot. Gandalf speaking, and Pippin seeing one flower blooming on the White Tree.

The other major new scenes worked very well in context, especially the Gandalf/Saruman opening. I also loved the Crossroads, which was short, but meaningful.

In short, this film was a bolt of lightning, reminding me of the power of the whole trilogy and the majesty of what PJ and his vast team had done. I look forward to discussing it.

10/10,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks