What's new

*** Official THE LAST SAMURAI Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Watched this one again last night with my brother in law. Forgot how much I liked it! Really, really good movie.

2003 was a great year for film, wasn't it? Some of my favorites include:

Last Samurai
Return of the King
Master and Commander
Cold Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Open Range
Hulk

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
2003 was a great year indeed. I might add Bruce Almighty to that list too. :b

Been wanting to see Last Samurai for awhile now but kept putting it off until I got the new sub. Thanks for the thread bump Chris.

p.s. Looks like you and your brother in law have been serious couch potatoes with your Star Wars marathon and Last Samurai. Very cool :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow.

TLS has a great score as well.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
#6 Idyll's End is my favorite. Captures part of the main theme and then some. It's a low key kind of score though...subtle and atmospheric. Probably works better in the film than a stand-alone music piece but still very pretty.

Hans Zimmer usually does good work and he does here too. :emoji_thumbsup:

bluemelopy

Auditioning
Real Name
melinda
The Last Samurai
Name: The Last Samurai
Writers: John Logan
Marshall Herskovitz
Director: Edward Zwick
Genre:Action/adventure/drama/war
Released: Warner Brothers
Languages:English/Japanese
Release Date:5th November,2003

Cast:Ken Watanabe .
Tom Cruise
William Atherton
Chad Lindberg .
Ray Godshall Sr.
Billy Connolly

Plot Summary:
In the 1870s, Captain Nathan Algren, a cynical veteran of the American Civil war who will work for anyone, is hired by Americans who want lucrative contracts with the Emperor of Japan to train the peasant conscripts for the first standing imperial army in modern warfare using firearms. The imperial Omura cabinet's first priority is to repress a rebellion of traditionalist Samurai -hereditary warriors- who remain devoted to the sacred dynasty but reject the Westernizing policy and even refuse firearms. Yet when his ill-prepared superior force sets out too soon, their panic allows the sword-wielding samurai to crush them. Badly wounded Algren's courageous stand makes the samurai leader Katsumoto spare his life; once nursed to health he learns to know and respect the old Japanese way, and participates as advisor in Katsumoto's failed attempt to save the Bushido tradition, but Omura gets repressive laws enacted- he must now choose to honor his loyalty to one of the embittered sides when the conflict returns to the battlefield...

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Ken Watanabe's performance should have earned him the Best Actor award- biggest FU from the academy since Brando missing out on streetcar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks