What's new

*** Official "THE LAST CASTLE" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I really LOVED this movie.
I thought it had a great story with a VERY STRONG ending.
I also liked James Gand. performance.
However, I would have liked to know a little bit more background on some of the inmates.
Other than that, I really enjoyed/liked this movie.
Another winner for Rob Lurie & James Gand.
RATING=B+

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Last Castle". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread. Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link .
Again, without warning, I will delete all posts that are not a HTF member review!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 20, 2001 at 06:17 AM]

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
It probably won't be as big a divider as The Contender, but The Last Castle will probably again split the audiences. For me, the film works. It has some glorious moments as well as exciting sequences. Redford is pretty much at ease in this role, but Gandolfini continues to impress. Rather than just a sadist, he always seems to be insecure and hurt.
Although I was rooting for Redford and co. to win, the gut feeling for the rebellion is somewhat mixed. On the one hand, Gandolfini's character does indeed cross the line, but for some reason, it still doesn't feel like strong enough a reason for Redford to risk so many people's lives just trying to get the warden out; who knows if the next one is any better? The rebellion sequences are somewhat unbeliavable, but they are well staged and choreographed.
Overall, I liked the movie, despite some conflicted gut feelings. It could have been better, but The Last Castle isn't a bad addition to Lurie's short career, especially if he is so interested in political thrillers.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a very strong movie, and well played out. Both of the principles (Redford and Gandolfini) do such a good job in the respective roles. But what really got me is that the various prisoners who barely have any screen time universally did a great job. The action sequences also gave the great feel of a siege on a castle, especially with the makeshift command post, catapult, and shields.
I was also gratified that they didn't resort to killing the villain, a trend I had seen resurfacing in too many movies.
I personally feel that the movie plays well with the right side up flag, and the reaction shots were also appropriate to this. I think it shows that the damage had been done, but that everything was now under control (meaning he knew the consequences).
I think I would call this a B+. No misteps, and well delivered.
[Edited last by Alex Spindler on October 28, 2001 at 01:46 AM]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a little predictable, and the audience can get 2-3 steps ahead of the plot, but it's still always to watch cat-n-mouse games unfold. The chess analogies were a little far-fetched, and I wished it didn't take the easy way out and offer so much predictability in the Winters character.
But you get the standard "how this general wins the troops over" scenes, and I didn't have a problem with them. And I suppose you have to remember that population of the prison all had military training, and they'd respond in such a way as shown in the film so that Irwin's influence over the prisoners would be a natural progression for them.
I'd give it 2.5 stars, a B-.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks